Stern Cabins on Nieuw Amsterdam

We have a stern cabin (5193) on hold for a 24 day itinerary next spring in the Mediterranean on the Nieuw Amsterdam. 

We have sailed on a number of cruise lines, but never in a Stern cabin. 

I know that the cabin is lightly larger, and that the Verandah could be significantly larger - both are attributes are very attractive to us. I have read that the view can be pretty spectacular, but how is it to alway see it from the rear, so to speak?

I would Very much appreciate some feedback on these cabin locations. I did run the search engine and could not locate numbers nearby (that could be operator error). 

Is there very much vibration from the engines? How about exhaust fumes? Ship movement ? ( I can be susceptible to that and always take ginger, etc)  Advantages vs disadvantages?  

Thank you 

46 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We have a stern cabin (5193) on hold for a 24 day itinerary next spring in the Mediterranean on the Nieuw Amsterdam. 

We have sailed on a number of cruise lines, but never in a Stern cabin. 

I know that the cabin is lightly larger, and that the Verandah could be significantly larger - both are attributes are very attractive to us. I have read that the view can be pretty spectacular, but how is it to alway see it from the rear, so to speak?

I would Very much appreciate some feedback on these cabin locations. I did run the search engine and could not locate numbers nearby (that could be operator error). 

Is there very much vibration from the engines? How about exhaust fumes? Ship movement ? ( I can be susceptible to that and always take ginger, etc)  Advantages vs disadvantages?  

Thank you 

As a photographer, I will only sail on an aft stateroom.  The field of view from an aft stateroom balcony beats any other on the ship:

• You can see what is happening on both sides of the ship without leaving your stateroom and standing amidst a lot of other passengers wanting to take photographs.
  • No tablets or cameras block your photographs.
  • You don't have to struggle with lots of passengers for space at a railing only to move to the other side and struggle again to see/photograph scenery.
  • There is no wind so you can have meals on your balcony where others cannot while the ship is moving.
  • You will not have to compete with hundreds of passengers for a bathroom in public areas.
  • The sound of the wake is very soothing for sleeping.
  • There is very little traffic past your stateroom door.
  • The Room Service kitchen is a short elevator ride up to your stateroom so food is hot.
  • Only a short elevator ride up to the Lido Market or late-night pizza from the NY Pizza on Deck 9 aft.

After 26 cruises in HAL aft staterooms, and six in aft staterooms on Nieuw Amsterdam, I have not noticed any vibration specific to aft staterooms.  I have noticed no soot on any of my Nieuw Amsterdam balconies. 

Of course others may have different opinions but aft staterooms are my preference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Crew News. You certainly have the experience to speak to my questions!  It sure does sound like a unique sailing perspective. 

What about movement - is there quite a bit more than further forward aft cabins or midship?

You mention no wind on the balcony. Our itinerary takes us through the Adriatic and Greek Isles in Mid-May. Would you expect the balcony to be too warm to really enjoy?

Is the bed positioned sideways or facing the balcony, or does that vary? 

Thank you for your insights. Much appreciated 

Crew News certainly provides convincing reasons for a cabin on the stern. We love it for all of those reasons. Going through a scenic area like Norwegian fjords, for instance, it's absolutely wonderful to see port and starboard from the same location.

We have not noticed any significant difference in motion at the stern.

Edited by jhannah

My only experience in a stern cabin was on a RCCL cruise 18 years ago, we loved the view and larger balcony. The only noise or vibrations we felt were when the thrusters were used while docking but it didn't out weigh the view and cabin size. I say go for it if the price is right, the stern cabins are usually higher and sell out early which should tell you they are well liked.

Thank you for your input. It seems that there is not a middle ground with these cabins - one really enjoys them or one doesn’t. The areas we will be traveling are typically not hot nor humid quite yet - ranges appear to be high 60’s to mid 70’s. 

Being onboard 24 days lends to enjoying larger space - and depending on sailing direction the balcony could be shade or sun I would think. Which leads me to wondering if these balconies are covered? 

29 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Which leads me to wondering if these balconies are covered? 

About half covered on decks 4 to 7, more on deck 8. This is the Eurodam, which is the same as N.A.

mb4eu9.jpg

Edited by catl331

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you Crew News. You certainly have the experience to speak to my questions!  It sure does sound like a unique sailing perspective. 

What about movement - is there quite a bit more than further forward aft cabins or midship?

You mention no wind on the balcony. Our itinerary takes us through the Adriatic and Greek Isles in Mid-May. Would you expect the balcony to be too warm to really enjoy?

Is the bed positioned sideways or facing the balcony, or does that vary? 

Thank you for your insights. Much appreciated 

As a former 4-year resident of Athens, Greece, you will enjoy an aft stateroom for the panoramic view.  The ship can dock either bow forward or aft first.  An aft stateroom can either be facing the port, giving a view of the city, or facing the harbor, giving a view of its activities without leaving your balcony.   In either case, you can see a lot more and avoid the crowded railings.

Temps in Greece in May are in the 80's as the British tourists flock to the Greek beaches.  The sun is intense and serious sunburns can occur in a very short time.

Edited by Crew News

We had a stern cabin on the Prinsendam in the Med in Oct 2010.  We asked to be moved due to noise and vibration from early morning dockings in the ports.  The noise from the thrusters meant 5:30-6:00 am wake ups when arriving in port.  Holland America accomodated us as soon as they had an available balcony cabin. 

These pictures are really helpful. Thank you very much Cattl331. It appears that the balcony is wider than deep and I was wondering about that with the location.  It certainly provides more space than the alternative 40 ft balcony available as well in another location.   

Crew News, last time we spent time in Athens and the Islands was during October. Your living there sure holds more truth than the weather search I did on google! 

Golf28 the Princedam being so much smaller may have played a roll in the vibration?  I guess if we are pulling into a port early, if that happens, we will want to be up early to explore! We are not late sleepers, but 5:30 might be pushing it a bit! 

Thank you all again!

Edited by Vineyard View

8 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

It appears that the balcony is wider than deep and I was wondering about that with the location.

Yes, but 5193 is not that wide. 5186 is a corner-wrap Neptune Suite. I believe 5193 is the standard 9 feet wide. Look at the deck plans.

Edited by catl331

Thank you. Try as I might, I cannot locate anywhere on HAL website where I can determine cabin and balcony size within the categories. It would be so helpful if that Information is available someplace. I do see that 5193 is directly center and not wrap. Maybe all the balconies are a standard 9 ft?  I do not know, but if so, then if the balcony is up to 2x the size of a standard balcony on stern cabins, then I am assuming it is deeper? 

What I cannot determine in any of the HAL schematics is if a cabin is x feet and balcony is x Feet - and I am pretty sure that is not available online?  So does calling HAL directly for this information make the most sense? 

Thank you for your patience. 

Edited by Vineyard View

11 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you. Try as I might, I cannot locate anywhere on HAL website where I can determine cabin and balcony size within the categories. It would be so helpful if that Information is available someplace. I do see that 5193 is directly center and not wrap. Maybe all the balconies are a standard 9 ft?  I do not know, but if so, then if the balcony is up to 2x the size of a standard balcony on stern cabins, then I am assuming it is deeper? 

What I cannot determine in any of the HAL schematics is if a cabin is x feet and balcony is x Feet - and I am pretty sure that is not available online?  So does calling HAL directly for this information make the most sense? 

Thank you for your patience. 

Unfortunately, all you will find on the HAL site is a range of sizes for a category, such as 213 to 379 sq ft for Verandas. This is because the size includes the balcony, which ranges from tiny (15 on deck 11 VT) to small (40 on deck 10 VQ) to standard 54 (6x9) on the majority of Vx, to huge (126 on four deck 4 VA: 4053/4054/4129/4132). By calling HAL you may or may not get an accurate answer for a specific cabin depending on the luck of the draw of who you get to talk to. They have been known to tell callers that "All veranda balconies are the same size", which is a ridiculous assertion!

And you should not trust the deck plans too much for balcony size estimates either. For the Eurodam (and Nieuw A) it appears that the deck 5 V cabins 5053 to 5138 have larger balconies than the side VB and VC on that deck, but the opposite is true: the V are about 4.5 ft deep, while the VB and VC are the standard 6 ft.

So: what I will say is based on my experience, I estimate that your 5193 is 9 ft wide and 25 ft long inside, and has a 6 ft deep balcony.  Enjoy!

Edited by catl331

We had a stern verandah on NA on deck 4 near the centre (I think it was 4189, just to the right of that little ladder) The cabin itself was about 3’ longer than standard. There was room between the sofa and the bedside table to put the chair, and more extra room on the other side of the bed. The verandah was  standard, 9’ wide and 6’ depth. I expected it to be slightly larger (deeper) but it was not. Deck 5 verandahs appeared to be shallower yet.  Although a lovely location otherwise, I personally will not book a stern cabin again because there was a lot of soot on the verandah floor.  I’m very partial to aft (not stern) deck 4 on the Signature and Pinnacle class ships because of location and deeper verandahs.

63A97794-3CCB-49F7-9C96-C85B7850822F.jpeg

8408633C-597C-4E1E-9F2B-253529D54CF7.jpeg

I truly thank you. 

Cattl331 your explanation of the various deck sizes in the Verandah category does help, but finding the specific cabin answers sounds to be somewhat of a mystery. I just looked and 4129 & 4132 are available- but right next to lifeboats. 

Saskacruiser, thank you for the pictures. From a side view, the cabin itself appears to be more shallow than deck four, so maybe the balcony is the same size, but like you, I was thinking that the deck would be larger. Your comment about soot though is concerning. 

3 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I just looked and 4129 & 4132 are available- but right next to lifeboats. 

That's true, but the lifeboat doesn't obstruct your view in the slightest.  On most verandas you have to be standing at the rail to get a 180 degree view because you have solid partitions on both sides. The rail in 4129/4132 is at the outer edge of the lifeboats, in line with the cabin just aft (4131/4136), but they are simply missing a solid partition on one side. When you are at the outer railing your view is 180 degrees. Here is a view of the outer part of 4132 as seen from 4130. That is one drawback - about half of the balcony is visible from next door as well as from balconies on the decks above.

IMGP0722.jpg&key=7ad2f22180e2f04451d5908

Edited by catl331

It has been quite a few years, but we had a junior suite on RCI's Enchantment of the Seas for a 14 day cruise.  We'd heard so many good things about having an aft cabin that we had to try it.  We ended up wishing we'd booked a side facing cabin because it took so much walking the ship to get anywhere. 

If you love the Crow's Nest and spa on HAL ships, you will spend a lot of time walking back and forth to your cabin.  For us,  midship to a more forward cabin works best for us.  We just completed the Zuiderdam Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen TA (16 nights) in Signature Suite 8047 and we loved it. We had very little wind on our balcony and enjoyed coffee and treats on our balcony without any issues.  Those aft cabins are too far from many of the things that we love on HAL ships.

Edited by Taters