Cozumel to Chichen Itza Day Trip Excursion

Free and Easy

We'll be sailing on Oceania in November. Stopover in Cozumel will be 0800-2300. Plannig to arrange a private tour. Question is: is it possible to do Chicken Itza within that time frame and if possible will it be too rush?? Grateful for any input. Thanks!

Possible yes, but you will likely spend more time getting there and back than at the site. To be safe I would book through the cruise line, or save the trip for when you are vacationing closer to the ruins.

I believe there are small plane tours from Coz or Playa to Chichen (with a "h" not a "k") Itza .  Not sure how expensive these are but would certainly allow more time at the ruins.

Instead to CI, look into tours or guides/drivers  that go to both Tulum and Coba (around the bend and inland from Tulum).  Tulum is noted for it's water side setting. Coba ruins are more impressive and expansive. Together these two might sate your ruins joneses.

• 2 months later...

We booked through the ship. Boy was I glad because when we got back to pier to take to take the ferry back to Cozumel; we literally had maybe 30 mins left to board. The travel time is very long...But as I always say “I never known when I’ll be back to be this close to experience something like this”...It was truly amazing and very glad we did this excursion. 

• 3 weeks later...

There should be sufficient time as others have stated but the majority of your day will be spent in-transit if you are opting to go via road (bus / car / etc).  I do agree with @chynnabow in suggesting to book through the ship.  We toyed with booking our excursion privately as we tend to do with most ports but given the distance, opted to book directly with our cruise line (Princess Cruises).  I'm so grateful we did as we hit traffic on the highway heading back into Playa del Carmen.  The delay set us back nearly 45 minutes but because we were on a cruise excursion, the held the ferry for us and we made it back to the ship with mere minutes to board.