Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

jedco

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

^ this??

My cruise itinerary was just changed and it's from Southampton now. Got a hotel (Blue Bells Hotel Notting Hill) so I'm trying to sort through ride to the pier. 

Train?

National Express Bus?

2 nights London & 1 night Southampton?

I'd rather not return to Heathrow for the ship's transfer  

National Express coach (bus) from Victoria COACH Station would be simplest & cheapest.

Bus (or train) to Southampton on the morning of your cruise would be OK if you want to maximise your time in London.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 3:41 PM, John Bull said:

National Express coach (bus) from Victoria COACH Station would be simplest & cheapest.

Bus (or train) to Southampton on the morning of your cruise would be OK if you want to maximise your time in London.

JB 🙂

I have tried doing research in regards to luggage sizes on both the bus and the train.  I couldn't find information in regards to luggage on the train website and the National Express Coach shows a size limit of 44lbs and I know that we will probably have two 50lb bags and one carry on and one garment bag.  Their website allows for the additional bags but it doesn't say anything about overweight bags?  Does anyone know anything about this?

2 hours ago, peagreenid said:

National Express Coach shows a size limit of 44lbs

Yeah. Thats a little tight. Can I take my carryon on the coach with me? Or do I need to lighten the load (remove wine) and just carry those 2 bottles

2 hours ago, peagreenid said:

I have tried doing research in regards to luggage sizes on both the bus and the train.  I couldn't find information in regards to luggage on the train website and the National Express Coach shows a size limit of 44lbs and I know that we will probably have two 50lb bags and one carry on and one garment bag.  Their website allows for the additional bags but it doesn't say anything about overweight bags?  Does anyone know anything about this?

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Yeah. Thats a little tight. Can I take my carryon on the coach with me? Or do I need to lighten the load (remove wine) and just carry those 2 bottles

There’s theoretically no limits on the train, but you handle your own luggage

Nat Express is TWO cases per passenger, each 20kg - as per the gnome’s post this is company policy to protect the driver from damaging his back. But the drivers aren’t wimps, it’s more to cover the company against claims.

I’d hope that folk would bear in mind all the people handling luggage, including ships’ crews, but 50lb instead of 44lb isn’t a big deal and I don’t see it being a problem, especially if you offer to help.

Driver may want to stash your carry-on in the belly locker with your cases, depends on the bag, how crowded the bus, and the driver’s attitude to safety (less luggage flying around in an accident)

JB 🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Bull said:

There’s theoretically no limits on the train, but you handle your own luggage

Nat Express is TWO cases per passenger, each 20kg - as per the gnome’s post this is company policy to protect the driver from damaging his back. But the drivers aren’t wimps, it’s more to cover the company against claims.

I’d hope that folk would bear in mind all the people handling luggage, including ships’ crews, but 50lb instead of 44lb isn’t a big deal and I don’t see it being a problem, especially if you offer to help.

Driver may want to stash your carry-on in the belly locker with your cases, depends on the bag, how crowded the bus, and the driver’s attitude to safety (less luggage flying around in an accident)

JB 🙂

Okay, that is good to know.  We don't mind putting our own bags on the bus.  I can also purchase for an extra bag.  Are there taxi's available at the Southampton station?  We will need one to get to our hotel.

45 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Driver may want to stash your carry-on in the belly locker with your cases, depends on the bag, how crowded the bus,

I only have 1 bag (22"). That's why it's so heavy. Often around 20/22 kg

I just noticed that next several time slot tickets are 1/3 off. Is this common?

Edited by Ombud

9 hours ago, peagreenid said:

Okay, that is good to know.  We don't mind putting our own bags on the bus.  I can also purchase for an extra bag.  Are there taxi's available at the Southampton station?  We will need one to get to our hotel.

Yes, taxis at Southampton Central train station and at Southampton coach station.I

Buy train tickets in advance - from about 8 weeks out, there’s a BIG saving on advance tickets, but they’re restricted to the train time that you book so don’t miss that train or you’ll have to buy walk-up tickets, at walk up prices, for the next train.

Also advisable to buy Nat Express tickets in advance cos sometimes they do sell-out

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

I only have 1 bag (22"). That's why it's so heavy. Often around 20/22 kg

I just noticed that next several time slot tickets are 1/3 off. Is this common?

Nat Express fares do vary, often with promo prices to boost sales. But not usually on journeys to or from airports - they know that those people HAVE to travel.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

On 3/15/2022 at 1:33 PM, Ombud said:

^ this??

My cruise itinerary was just changed and it's from Southampton now. Got a hotel (Blue Bells Hotel Notting Hill) so I'm trying to sort through ride to the pier. 

Train?

National Express Bus?

2 nights London & 1 night Southampton?

I'd rather not return to Heathrow for the ship's transfer  

Certainly no need to return to Heathrow (to the west), or doubling back into London (to the east).  From where your hotel is:

1/ Taxi (or even walk) to Paddington Station (about 1mile).  Train from Paddington to Reading (Change) to Southampton Central.  About 1h45 total train time

2a/ Taxi to Clapham Junction, join the London Waterloo -> Southampton train (Clapham J is the 1st stop out of London on the way to Southampton).  Train ride about 1h20m

2b/ Underground(Subway)  Notting Hill Gate -> Shepherd Bush, transfer to the Overground (metro) trains), to Clapham Junction, then see above

The great thing about the UK vs traveling in the US is the extensive, fast, and easy public transport

From Southampton Central, it's about a 1/2 mile walk, or an easy taxi ride (although it does depend on which terminal you're at in Southampton )

Add one more option
2c/ Walk to Notting Hill Gate Underground Station.  District Line to Wimbledon; then join the south west main line train from Waterloo to Southampton (although I think you may have to grab a slower train heading SW and join the main train at Woking, can't remember the current schedule, but I have been on a stopping train from Southampton to London that stopped at Wimbledon -- just checked, yes it requires a change at Woking).

While lots of people are suggesting the coach, it requires a) heading back toward  Central London from Notting Hill, and b) is the slowest way of getting to Southampton,

it's all a balance of what you're willing to pay, and how you want to get there, and in what comfort (a train will be a nicer ride than the coach). 

Personally, I'd probably grab the overground from Shepherds Bush down to Clapham and take the train from there.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:29 PM, peagreenid said:

Driver will put bags on the coach, he needs to put them in a convenient order for passengers alighting at intermediate stops - you just need to offer to help with bigger cases 😉

There's a small taxi rank at the coach station.

Mebbe one of you could climb over the heads of other passengers in order to be first off the coach &  commandeer a taxi while the other follows up with the luggage 😉

But if you're too polite to do that and there's no taxi available, they do swing by quite frequently.

JB 🙂

If I may jump into this discussion about the National Express Coach:   I don't quite understand the difference between purchasing the flexible fare or a standard fare with a "Change and Go" add-on.  (Other than the refundable option of the flexible fare) Which would you recommend for us, flying in from the US the same day with the possibility that our flight could be changed or delayed?  Or would we need both the flexible fare and the "change and go"?

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Driver will put bags on the coach, he needs to put them in a convenient order for passengers alighting at intermediate stops - you just need to offer to help with bigger cases 😉 

Are the bags weighed?  If my bag weighs 50 pounds instead of 44, will it be denied boarding or charged extra?

@islandwomanI asked about possible delays and was told I can add on a £5 surcharge to be able to shift the time up to 12 hrs earlier or later. I'm paying it unless the 'flexible fare' assures me a seat

Edited by Ombud

25 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Are the bags weighed?  If my bag weighs 50 pounds instead of 44, will it be denied boarding or charged extra?

Generally-speaking, no they don't weigh luggage unless something is very obviously excessive.

As per my earlier post the 44lb case limit is there to cover the company's backside if a driver were to make a medical claim.

But there are a couple of "if"s.

If the coach is fully-booked & everyone else has the max  checked luggage of 2 x 44lbs, that'd put the driver over the road-legal vehicle weight. But that's very very unlikely, and I've not known any bags being refused.

And drivers handle luggage all day, so they'll know the difference between 44lb & 55/60lb without needing scales. A stroppy driver could require you to help load it, or he could charge you. But they're not wimps, and they earn nothing from a surcharge. So the friendly offer of help, and mebbe a small tip if necessary would smooth the water.😉

I suspect that folk who blatantly carry waaaaaaaay over the limit - like four cases of 60lb plus per passenger - would at least be charged extra. But bending the rules a little shouldn't give you grief 🙂 

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cruisen JJ said:

What is the best way to get from Gatwick to Southampton?

Monday to Saturday it's cheapest & quickest by train.

Hourly direct service from inside Gatwick's South Terminal (free internal transport to South Terminal if your flight arrives at North Terminal) to Southampton Central, journey time a little under 2 hours.

Advance tickets (available from about 3 months out on this route out) can cost as little as £5.50, but you must catch the train time that you booked - if you miss it your tickets are trash & you'll have to pay the walk-up fare of about £18. And judging what time you'll be through airport formalities & on the station platform can be difficult to judge. I'd say allow 2 hours from touch-down, though earlier this week I was out of Gatwick within an hour. So choose to pay the full fare no-risk, or choose a train time & either save or lose, or even buy advance tickets for two trains to save half & halve the risk.

Sundays

There are no direct trains. But there are still £5.50 advance tickets on an.hourly route with just one change at a little country station (Ford) which adds half an hour to your journey. It's a same-platform change at Ford.

I started this post with the intention of recommending the National Express bus on Sundays. .

But the train timetables have changed, and the same route with just one same-platform change of train and half an hour extra is no big deal - so I suggest that you stick with the train even if you travel on a sunday 🙂 

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Gatwick airport code is LGW. But don't type that into the box - I did and it came up with a fare of over £100, cos LGW is the rail abbreviation for a dusty little train station in the north of Scotland 😄

So use the word Gatwick

If you prefer the bus, the fares are higher and there are only a handful of departures each day.

But here's their website anyway.

https://book.nationalexpress.com/coach/#/choose-journey

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

If the coach is fully-booked

Where I live mass transit (Bart, VTA, busses) just keep selling tickets & we can stand. Does the coach only sell so many tickets? 

I would prefer the train but I can't see where they go from Heathrow.  Ah well. I've got time

Edited by Ombud

42 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Where I live mass transit (Bart, VTA, busses) just keep selling tickets & we can stand. Does the coach only sell so many tickets? 

I would prefer the train but I can't see where they go from Heathrow.  Ah well. I've got time

On trains, standing is OK - and common at commuter times in London.

On city buses, standing is OK.

But on longer-distance coaches everyone has to be seated - and belted (except to use the on-board toilet).

Does Greyhound permit standing on buses using the inter-states ?????

=================================

Heathrow to Southampton by train means one of two main options:

Heathrow Express train to central London's Paddington station, then cross central London by tube (not great with luggage) or taxi, to London Waterloo station, then frequent direct train from Waterloo to Southampton. Expensive, arduous, slow.

Or hourly RailAir bus from Heathrow to Woking station & join the Southampton-bound train there. Total journey time 2 hours plus, and moderately expensive. (There's also a RailAir bus option to Reading & a direct Southampton-bound train from there, I think the frequency, journey-time and cost is about the same)

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/railair/timetable

(Woking is a stop on the bus to Guildford)

==============

The National Express is much cheaper. Its destination is Southampton coach station, not faar from the train station, journey time about 2 hours

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

==========-====

Or a pre-booked private transfer car will cost about £100 and take 90 minutes plus

https://westquaycars.com/

https://aquacars.co.uk/

https://www.blackberrycars.com/

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

We decided to book a private transfer from Heathrow to our hotel in Southampton. We will be two adults, each with one large bag, one rollaboard, and one backpack.  How much should we plan for the driver's tip?

Bear in mind that all tipping is a lot lower in the UK & Europe than in the US.

£10 between you for a good & friendly driver.

Or £5 for him if you can keep up a passable English accent during the trip 😉

But zilch if he or the car are worth zilch.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

On trains, standing is OK - and common at commuter times in London.

On city buses, standing is OK.

But on longer-distance coaches everyone has to be seated - and belted (except to use the on-board toilet).

Does Greyhound permit standing on buses using the inter-states ?????

=================================

Heathrow to Southampton by train means one of two main options:

Heathrow Express train to central London's Paddington station, then cross central London by tube (not great with luggage) or taxi, to London Waterloo station, then frequent direct train from Waterloo to Southampton. Expensive, arduous, slow.

Or hourly RailAir bus from Heathrow to Woking station & join the Southampton-bound train there. Total journey time 2 hours plus, and moderately expensive. (There's also a RailAir bus option to Reading & a direct Southampton-bound train from there, I think the frequency, journey-time and cost is about the same)

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/railair/timetable

(Woking is a stop on the bus to Guildford)

==============

The National Express is much cheaper. Its destination is Southampton coach station, not faar from the train station, journey time about 2 hours

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

==========-====

Or a pre-booked private transfer car will cost about £100 and take 90 minutes plus

https://westquaycars.com/

https://aquacars.co.uk/

https://www.blackberrycars.com/

JB 🙂

Do these pre-booked private transfers also pick up at a LONDON hotels or is this something for LHR only?