Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

jedco

31 minutes ago, peagreenid said:

Do these pre-booked private transfers also pick up at a LONDON hotels or is this something for LHR only? 

From anywhere in the country, peagreen.

But because central London is further than LHR it will cost another £25 to £50, depending where in central London.

JB 🙂

2 minutes ago, John Bull said:

From anywhere in the country, peagreen.

But because central London is further than LHR it will cost another £25 to £50, depending where in central London.

JB 🙂

Thank you so much for your assistance! 

13 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

If the ship docks at 6 AM what's a realistic time frame I could be in London, taking care of my own transfers and waiting to claim luggage of the ship?

I too would like to learn the answer to your question.  But from my experience on other cruises, I can point out that just because a ship is scheduled to dock at a certain time, doesn't mean that it will.  And if you want to get off in a hurry, you should arrange to walk your luggage off yourself.

1 hour ago, BuckeyeMark said:

If the ship docks at 6 AM what's a realistic time frame I could be in London, taking care of my own transfers and waiting to claim luggage of the ship?

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

I too would like to learn the answer to your question.  But from my experience on other cruises, I can point out that just because a ship is scheduled to dock at a certain time, doesn't mean that it will.  And if you want to get off in a hurry, you should arrange to walk your luggage off yourself.

Can I presume we're all talking about Southampton to central London?

If from another port such as Dover, or to one of London's airports, ignore my reply and post the details.

And this information is all pre-Covid, though it looks like the paperwork and restrictions (other than possibly facemasks) are now history 🤞

Ships are scheduled to dock in Southampton as early as 4.30am, but disembarkation doesn't usually start until about 7am. 

Quickest start, as per lslandwoman's post, would be to disembark unassisted - don't put your luggage out the previous evening, instead keep it in your cabin and haul it to the terminal (I don't think there are any steps). Unassisted disembarkation starts at 7am or a little earlier, those hauling their luggage thro corridors & on elevators are very very unpopular after regular disembarkation starts. Early starters will usually be at the terminal exit within 15 to 20 minutes unless Her Majesty's finest tug their collar. Almost-certainly no delay for those wanting a taxi from the line (but only suitable for local destinations like the train station, coach station, local hotels, Southampton airport etc)

Regular disembarkation - collect your luggage from the terminal, which I'm presuming Mark wants to do - usually starts at 7.30am but is allocated by the crew in tranches at 15 to 20 minute intervals through to 8.30 or 9am. If you're allocated a late disembarkation slot, go to customer relations (purser's office) with the coloured luggage tags given to you on the last day and ask for an earlier slot, citing your onward travel arrangements. As the morning progresses lines are more likely to build for terminal formalities but delays are very variable. And as demand gradually exceeds supply there may also be a line for taxis.

Except on saturdays, sundays and national holidays, travel time to central London by private car transfer is difficult to predict as early-starters will be mixing with commuters, but don't expect it to take much less than 3 hours. So that's about 10am for Islandgirl, 10.30 for Mark.

I'll hazard a guess at about £150 for the car.

Direct trains to London Waterloo from Southampton Central every half-hour, journey time under 90 minutes. The train will get more crowded as you get closer to London, but you should be able to get seats from Southampton.

A taxi to the station costs about £6 to £10 & takes 5 to 15 minutes depending which cruise terminal.

Walk-up fare is £49 pp, but advance tickets are available from about 8 weeks out at about £21. BUT but but but but advance tickets are only good for the train time that you choose - miss that train & your tickets are trash so you have to fork out another £49 pp for walk-up tickets.

If you buy advance tickets & go for regular disembarkation I'd be very wary about  choosing a train before 9am, which gets you to London Waterloo by 10.30 (unassisted disembarkation the 8.30 train, the 8.00 tyrain if you're feeling lucky) 

Or the 9.15am National Express bus from Southampton coach station gets to to London Victoria coach station at 11.50. Fare £7.70 pp.

Consider your hotel location whe deciding your transportation.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://book.nationalexpress.com/

JB 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 1:40 PM, islandwoman said:

We decided to book a private transfer from Heathrow to our hotel in Southampton. We will be two adults, each with one large bag, one rollaboard, and one backpack.  How much should we plan for the driver's tip?

Who did you book it with?

16 hours ago, John Bull said:

Can I presume we're all talking about Southampton to central London?

If from another port such as Dover, or to one of London's airports, ignore my reply and post the details.

And this information is all pre-Covid, though it looks like the paperwork and restrictions (other than possibly facemasks) are now history 🤞

Ships are scheduled to dock in Southampton as early as 4.30am, but disembarkation doesn't usually start until about 7am. 

Quickest start, as per lslandwoman's post, would be to disembark unassisted - don't put your luggage out the previous evening, instead keep it in your cabin and haul it to the terminal (I don't think there are any steps). Unassisted disembarkation starts at 7am or a little earlier, those hauling their luggage thro corridors & on elevators are very very unpopular after regular disembarkation starts. Early starters will usually be at the terminal exit within 15 to 20 minutes unless Her Majesty's finest tug their collar. Almost-certainly no delay for those wanting a taxi from the line (but only suitable for local destinations like the train station, coach station, local hotels, Southampton airport etc)

Regular disembarkation - collect your luggage from the terminal, which I'm presuming Mark wants to do - usually starts at 7.30am but is allocated by the crew in tranches at 15 to 20 minute intervals through to 8.30 or 9am. If you're allocated a late disembarkation slot, go to customer relations (purser's office) with the coloured luggage tags given to you on the last day and ask for an earlier slot, citing your onward travel arrangements. As the morning progresses lines are more likely to build for terminal formalities but delays are very variable. And as demand gradually exceeds supply there may also be a line for taxis.

Except on saturdays, sundays and national holidays, travel time to central London by private car transfer is difficult to predict as early-starters will be mixing with commuters, but don't expect it to take much less than 3 hours. So that's about 10am for Islandgirl, 10.30 for Mark.

I'll hazard a guess at about £150 for the car.

Direct trains to London Waterloo from Southampton Central every half-hour, journey time under 90 minutes. The train will get more crowded as you get closer to London, but you should be able to get seats from Southampton.

A taxi to the station costs about £6 to £10 & takes 5 to 15 minutes depending which cruise terminal.

Walk-up fare is £49 pp, but advance tickets are available from about 8 weeks out at about £21. BUT but but but but advance tickets are only good for the train time that you choose - miss that train & your tickets are trash so you have to fork out another £49 pp for walk-up tickets.

If you buy advance tickets & go for regular disembarkation I'd be very wary about  choosing a train before 9am, which gets you to London Waterloo by 10.30 (unassisted disembarkation the 8.30 train, the 8.00 tyrain if you're feeling lucky) 

Or the 9.15am National Express bus from Southampton coach station gets to to London Victoria coach station at 11.50. Fare £7.70 pp.

Consider your hotel location whe deciding your transportation.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

https://book.nationalexpress.com/

JB 🙂

INCREDIBLY helpful. Yes, Southampton. And this is exactly the information I needed. THANK YOU!

On 3/28/2022 at 2:09 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

Theoretically you could catch at 7a-ish train and be in London (Waterloo Stn) at 8:30a. HOWEVER, if you're planning to do that during the week, you'll be crushed onto a commuter train, with hundreds of commuters.  Won't be too bad from the Southampton side, but it will be busy.  Catch a 9a train for a 10:30a arrival will be much quieter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scottbee said:

Theoretically you could catch at 7a-ish train and be in London (Waterloo Stn) at 8:30a. HOWEVER, if you're planning to do that during the week, you'll be crushed onto a commuter train, with hundreds of commuters.  Won't be too bad from the Southampton side, but it will be busy.  Catch a 9a train for a 10:30a arrival will be much quieter.

That'd be the 07.30.

Yes, it's possible.

Depends on which cruise terminal, whether Mark is prepared to self-disembark & can climb over others at the ship's elevator & down the gangplank, the  efficiency of Her Majesty's civil service at the cruise terminal,  whether Joss Verstappen is his taxi driver, and how fast he can run with luggage.😏

But Mark, if you have to throw away your £20 tickets and buy £50 walk-up tickets, sue Scott, not JB. 😂

JB 🙂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 3:40 PM, islandwoman said:

We decided to book a private transfer from Heathrow to our hotel in Southampton. We will be two adults, each with one large bag, one rollaboard, and one backpack.  How much should we plan for the driver's tip?

I saw your post and the other post showing which company you are using.  I am looking to do much the same thing.  We fly into Heathrow and want to travel to Southampton where we will spend a night before the cruise.  On the way back we will want to head to Heathrow and spend the night at the airport.  Would you be willing to say what they quoted you?  I can give you my email if you don't want to put it in an open forum.  There are so many options and I'm getting tired of looking at them over and over - I need to make a decision 🙂  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

I saw your post and the other post showing which company you are using.  I am looking to do much the same thing.  We fly into Heathrow and want to travel to Southampton where we will spend a night before the cruise.  On the way back we will want to head to Heathrow and spend the night at the airport.  Would you be willing to say what they quoted you?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g528813-d13107650-Heathrow_Airport_to_Southampton_Port_or_Hotel_Private_Airport_Arrival_Transfer-Hou.html

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bjkTX said:

Thank you!

Hello bjTX, I just got quotes from Blackberry Cars ($167.) and West Quay Cars ($163) for a transfer from Heathrow to the Holiday Inn in Southampton = price for a car for two people on July 19th. Hope this information helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My cruise (Sky Princess) docks at Mayflower Cruise Terminal at 7am on Saturday 7/23. I'm thinking of booking a 12:20pm flight to the US from LHR but have heard this is risky. In general, would it be possible to self disembark from the ship and get onto a private car by 8am? Then arrive at LHR by (hopefully) 10am, leaving 2 hrs 20 mins before flight departure?

Also, separately from the above question, does anyone have recommendations for private car transfer to and from London <-> Southampton for a group of 8? I've checked out a few of the mentioned services and many seem to max out at 4 passengers.

23 hours ago, zerwey said:

My cruise (Sky Princess) docks at Mayflower Cruise Terminal at 7am on Saturday 7/23. I'm thinking of booking a 12:20pm flight to the US from LHR but have heard this is risky. In general, would it be possible to self disembark from the ship and get onto a private car by 8am? Then arrive at LHR by (hopefully) 10am, leaving 2 hrs 20 mins before flight departure?

Also, separately from the above question, does anyone have recommendations for private car transfer to and from London <-> Southampton for a group of 8? I've checked out a few of the mentioned services and many seem to max out at 4 passengers.

Your ship will probably berth around 5 - 5.30am, with unassisted disembarkation from about 7am.

And by disembarking that early you'll avoid the potential for a line for immigration. Customs is a walk-thru unless Her Majesty's Finest feel your collar.

So you can confidently book a car for 7.30am.

A saturday 🙂🙂🙂

No commuters heading for the big bad city 🙂🙂🙂

I'd expect you to arrive at Heathrow by 9am. That gives you 3 to 3 1/2 hours for airport formalities - which should be plenty, though best to head airside  as soon as you've checked-in / shed your checked luggage, security is usually the slowest part of the procedure.

If there's a later flight its well worth considering, but 12.20 should be OK on a saturday or sunday.

Yes, three or four plus cruise luggage is the norm for a sedan or station wagon.

You need a van - we call them mini-buses or mini-coaches.

I think https://aquacars.co.uk/ have them 

JB 🙂

On 3/24/2022 at 12:44 PM, Ombud said:

@John Bulli don't think Greyhound still exists. Mass transit is abundant on SF Bay but only here. We're not like you where we can go between states, only between counties. Wish we were .....

Saw one yesterday. Still around nice blue paint job, better looking but still Greyhound

• 3 weeks later...

Our recent experience: Friday, May 13, 2022

The British Customs agents were on the ship processing passengers three days before we docked in Southampton.  If your ship does this, the debarkation will be easy as there are no stops between the ship and the awaiting taxis.

We wheeled off our own luggage at 8:00 AM. An easy experience, even for seniors. We just walked out the doors and found the taxi queue to the left. A short 6 pound taxi ride to National Express station. We had prepurchased our tickets online for the 9:50 AM which meant we had a wait. We had done the exact thing in 2018 and also arrived easily at the station.

We were at the Victoria Coach Station by noon and found a taxi to take us to the hotel.

24 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Our recent experience: Friday, May 13, 2022

The British Customs agents were on the ship processing passengers three days before we docked in Southampton.  If your ship does this, the debarkation will be easy as there are no stops between the ship and the awaiting taxis.

We wheeled off our own luggage at 8:00 AM. An easy experience, even for seniors. We just walked out the doors and found the taxi queue to the left. A short 6 pound taxi ride to National Express station. We had prepurchased our tickets online for the 9:50 AM which meant we had a wait. We had done the exact thing in 2018 and also arrived easily at the station.

We were at the Victoria Coach Station by noon and found a taxi to take us to the hotel.

That’s awesome!  What ship were you on?

53 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s awesome!  What ship were you on?

Anthem of the Seas.  I believe Norwegian NCL also did that back in 2018.  BTW- It is important to buy your tickets ahead of time. I overheard a woman arriving at the station at about 8:30 and the first bus to London that had seats was mid afternoon.  We were at the Victoria and Albert Museum by then!  Our hotel, Premier Inn at Paddington Basin (very nice and inexpensive) allowed us to have our room at 1:00.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wondering if I’d be ok to book a 09:40 flight out of Southampton (to Edinburgh) after our cruise? Would walk off with luggage at earliest time available. Itinerary says Anthem of the Seas will dock at 0530 on a Sunday, but I assume earliest time to walk off would be around 0700 or so. TY

Hello, we are flying to London in late June and taking a Princess cruise out of Southampton on June 29.  We've been trying to buy train tickets for London Waterloo to Southampton for June 29 and are finding a lot of difficulty doing this from California!  We went through a long process on the Southwestern Railway website, including creating an account, and downloading their app, only to be told our address had to be in the UK to buy tickets!  We just tried using the National Rail website, only to have it link back to Southwestern Railway for the same problem!  Does anyone know what else we can do to buy tickets ahead of time?   Thank you for any help.

On 4/9/2022 at 5:48 PM, Lance1224 said:

Hi,

We have used National Express many times. There are many buses leaving Southampton all thru the day and evening.

We used National Express from Heathrow to London and then London to Southampton.   It was an excellent experience and in 2018 the Senior rate was 5 pounds/pp with a 1 pound service charge.

EC minibus was great to work with. They accommodated a last minute change in my arrival time, with just a simple email. They were able to communicate with me through WhatsApp which saved me calling and data fees. The car was perfect, clean and comfortable. My driver, Gary, was friendly and professional even in a horrible traffic jam from London to South Hampton during the queen's jubilee. Highly recommended.

• Thanks 1