American on P&O?

akb5k

Hi- can you all help me decide if P&O is a good fit? I am a US citizen looking at booking my first P&O cruise after Royal Caribbean canceled my Independence sailing next summer.I looked at Crown Princess but there are so many cabins available on their 8 night fjords cruise I'm afraid they'll cancel that too. I would be looking at the new P&O Iona. I'm a bit nervous as I don't know much about the line. I want to avoid a "party" atmosphere like the US line Carnival and to a lesser extent Norwegian. But Cunard sounds too formal. I travel with my 7 year old- so smoke-free areas, decent entertainment before 10 pm, and healthier food options are a plus. I lived in London for 2 years and am happy to be in a "British" atmosphere - I would love to move back!

For what you are looking for, P&O should be a good fit, especially to the Fjords.

We did this trip on Britannia and thought it was fantastic. Formal but not too formal, definitely not a party atmosphere but good fun, lots of choice of food and entertainment and, in general, something for everyone.

Smoking areas are easily avoided and they do not allow smoking on balconies.

Iona is a tricky one to comment on as it is much larger than any other P&O ship and things will be different, but the truth is, we could only speculate to what it will be like.

Wherever you book, have a fantastic time.

Andy

Also the offering for children on P&O is good. I haven't travelled with children myself but I notice they are well looked after by the kids clubs and seem to enjoy it and passengers with children on the ships have never said anything negative when I have chatted to them. Kids food is available in the buffet in the early evening if that's of interest. Iona is all freedom dining so you can both eat in the MDR any time it's open in the evening.

ATM drinks prices on P&O are comparatively cheap - compared say to Cunard who I'm cruising with soon.

BTW yes Cunard is a bit more formal, but again children are well looked after.

Cathy

From reading what you like I would say you will be fine, particularly if you have lived in the UK and are used to us! Ha ha

Lots of opportunities to be as formal or informal as you like - even more opportunities on IONA. Personally, we didn't like IOS and think IONA looks a prettier ship re the public areas.

Out of interest is she the only ship doing the Fjords when you can go?

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

From reading what you like I would say you will be fine, particularly if you have lived in the UK and are used to us! Ha ha

Lots of opportunities to be as formal or informal as you like - even more opportunities on IONA. Personally, we didn't like IOS and think IONA looks a prettier ship re the public areas.

Out of interest is she the only ship doing the Fjords when you can go?

Thanks for the replies! The other option is Crown Princess. It's almost $2000 more for one extra night, and there are so many open cabins right now that I am concerned they may cancel the sailing, especially since Iona would be more attractive to most people sailing from the UK.

5 hours ago, akb5k said:

Thanks for the replies! The other option is Crown Princess. It's almost $2000 more for one extra night, and there are so many open cabins right now that I am concerned they may cancel the sailing, especially since Iona would be more attractive to most people sailing from the UK.

To me that is a no brainer - for that money you could have another cruise !!

As I said, I do think that P&O is as formal / informal as you want most of the time. There will be the formal nights but you don't have to dress up - it just means that you will be limited re which bar areas you can go to. We've seen lots of people on Med cruises with P&O not bother with the formal gear and just eat in the buffet. Thinking about it, on our 17 nighter on Ventura we didn't do the formal stuff as there were something like 2  in 4 days at the start of the cruise which seemed like over kill! We just enjoyed the buffet.

If you fancy the formal stuff, it is nice to dress up even if it is just the once at the Captain's welcome 'party' --- free drinks all round so make the most of it !!!

From the sound of it P&O sounds an ideal fit for you. $2000 extra for CP sounds much more expensive considering P&O now include gratuities within their price, so there is no additional expense unless you would like to reward those that go the extra mile.

Drinks prices are generally much lower than all US lines and there is no 15% extra to be added to the prices. What you see is what you pay.

Just to note the kids clubs are fantastic for the 5 to 8 age group, run by qualified child care professionals not graduates. There is a difference on P&O that you cannot leave your child on board while you go ashore, they must go with you if you leave the ship.

16 hours ago, akb5k said:

Hi- can you all help me decide if P&O is a good fit? I am a US citizen looking at booking my first P&O cruise after Royal Caribbean canceled my Independence sailing next summer.I looked at Crown Princess but there are so many cabins available on their 8 night fjords cruise I'm afraid they'll cancel that too. I would be looking at the new P&O Iona. I'm a bit nervous as I don't know much about the line. I want to avoid a "party" atmosphere like the US line Carnival and to a lesser extent Norwegian. But Cunard sounds too formal. I travel with my 7 year old- so smoke-free areas, decent entertainment before 10 pm, and healthier food options are a plus. I lived in London for 2 years and am happy to be in a "British" atmosphere - I would love to move back!

The Iona is a new ship which hasn't entered service yet.

It does a full season in 2020 from Southampton-Fjords and back to Southampton.

Drinks prices are very competitive and now P&O are tips included you will save another $200 against the Crown Princess.

We are D+ on Royal but would highly recommend P&O too.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:58 PM, akb5k said:

Thank you all! I booked a 7 night fjord cruise on the Iona, our first aft balcony. I'm very excited!

Best balcony position when sailing in the fjords. Have a lovely cruise,

• Like 1

When were you thinking of booking as if you go when it isn’t the UK school holidays there might not be many other children on board?

We have just come off a Princess cruise out of Southampton, a mixture of nationalities on board but only a handful of children. Mind you Iona is going to be a very large ship so you will always get a few willing to pay the fine to take their children out of school. 

On 5/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, akb5k said:

Thank you all! I booked a 7 night fjord cruise on the Iona, our first aft balcony. I'm very excited!

Just curious but did your booking include flights from USA?  I'm also thinking about P&O as a change from Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.  The slightly more formal atmosphere sounds fun (as does Indian food).

Pete from Michigan

On 5/18/2019 at 12:25 PM, amajaa said:

When were you thinking of booking as if you go when it isn’t the UK school holidays there might not be many other children on board?

We have just come off a Princess cruise out of Southampton, a mixture of nationalities on board but only a handful of children. Mind you Iona is going to be a very large ship so you will always get a few willing to pay the fine to take their children out of school. 

Beginning of July. There's a fine for taking kids out of school?! Schools in our part of the US finish in May.

40 minutes ago, petefoss said:

Just curious but did your booking include flights from USA?  I'm also thinking about P&O as a change from Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.  The slightly more formal atmosphere sounds fun (as does Indian food).

Pete from Michigan

No flights although I bet they would arrange that if you asked. I typically use air miles and fly in a few days in advance, so I book flights myself. I also don't mind a bit more formal atmosphere. I'm all for being comfortable, but seriously dude- would it kill you to put on a polo shirt for dinner?

8 hours ago, akb5k said:

Beginning of July. There's a fine for taking kids out of school?! Schools in our part of the US finish in May.

Our schools' summer breaks are usually from late July to early September, so you should be OK in early July. (I think our schools have longer Christmas and Easter breaks than yours in the US do, but shorter summer breaks.)

9 hours ago, akb5k said:

No flights although I bet they would arrange that if you asked. I typically use air miles and fly in a few days in advance, so I book flights myself. I also don't mind a bit more formal atmosphere. I'm all for being comfortable, but seriously dude- would it kill you to put on a polo shirt for dinner?

Formal on P&O ships is tuxedo or suit for men with long or cocktail dresses for the Ladies.

From P&O web site:-

Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on-board and we know that our guests adore dressing up and it has long been a part of the P&O Cruises experience, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and military uniform.

.The rest of the nights are casual 

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. T-shirts are also acceptable but should not have any offensive symbols or language on them. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Scorpio41
spelling

4 hours ago, jh1809 said:

Our schools' summer breaks are usually from late July to early September, so you should be OK in early July. (I think our schools have longer Christmas and Easter breaks than yours in the US do, but shorter summer breaks.)

I believe the schools in Scotland break up for summer 2 weeks before the schools in England.

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I believe the schools in Scotland break up for summer 2 weeks before the schools in England.

The private (fee paying) schools break up for the summer at the end of June.  

There will also be a number of families that will take their children out of school before the end of term ( especially as not much happens in the last couple of weeks of the summer term )