Semi-Live, Dawn - Canada & New England 5/11/2019, our old favorite

mking8288

Bonjour !  Hello from Halifax, oh ... Yes, Canada. Almost there, switching from T-Mobile & live now on Project Fi, roaming land-based 4G LTE signal, docking soon, local time, almost 8 am. Immigration coming onboard once docked to clear folks, then we can go ashore, free shuttle to Pier 22, no walking around inside the Pier area. Time to find breakfast.

Collage 2019-05-13 07_49_39.jpg

Collage 2019-05-13 07_58_15.jpg

IMG_20190513_080346933.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dexddd said:

Mking, can you come back home and fix the cc boards?

Goooood morning, it figures ... Http 500 errors and I was going to blame NCL for it's sluggish satellite WiFi, that happened in January when we're on the West Caribbean limited live sailing. 

Got a table for 2 in Venetian, smoked salmon on a bagel to start Off, then one of the daily breakfast special.

Passing by the quiet Medical Center, Deck 4 Mid earlier.

*** 9:20 am local time, ship cleared by local authorities, guests can proceed to gangway to go ashore. Gang of 8 meeting at 10 to leave, avoiding the rush for the shuttle ride to Pier 22.

Collage 2019-05-13 08_58_37.jpg

Collage 2019-05-13 09_09_17.jpg

Collage 2019-05-13 08_57_45.jpg

15577538010573809282520089706038.jpg

Edited by mking8288

All's good Henry.

Enjoying your pictorial.
Haven't been on the Dawn since her last repo from Boston to New Orleans. That was something to look forward to every fall.

Enjoy your cruise. Regards to S.

2 hours ago, jaja said:

... never remember taking a shuttle to get to pier..is this new?  

Holland has a ship at Pier 22 and NCL got bumped to the restricted zone further away inside the commercial zone, where pax aren't allowed to roam or walk around. Free shuttle is less than 5 minutes away. 

MDR isn't open, nor O'Shehan's - a quick lunch at the Garden Cafe. 

A quick note, USD is accepted at those places inside Farmer's Market, but CND is best, didn't see any ATM there - will have to get further into town to exchange it.  Otherwise, it's 1:1 if you buy with some of the vendors, ask first when it's $100 to $130+ Canadian.

IMG_20190513_135900510.jpg

Edited by mking8288

[mention=618626]Deliteful[/mention] -

General Manager (HD) explained that Spiri, Dawn & a 3rd ship were not originally designed for US market and came from other lines.  When it spent a full month in dry dock 3 years ago, it was one of the few changes considered but not done, maybe for time & costs. Thus, bring an outlet power tap and or use the 220v outlet. One being an UK or as they called it, HK style plug.  Hence, no USB bedside upgrade, unlike newer ship.

Dawn left NYC 9 years ago but walking back onboard, it hardly feel like an old ship that launched in 2003.  

[mention=269971]jaja[/mention] -

we are prepared for wet weather for rest of week too. But, rather be on a cruise ship than at work. Stay tuned for more practical info and tips.

Logged into Telus 4G network here, Rogers is the other one available but Google Fi is registered on T's.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

I can get away with one US outlet on vanity for phone charge ..BUT..did with dry dock did  they put an US outlet next to bed..?? I have a CPAP...!   just curious....

I didn't bring an UK adapter either to convert my plugs either & saw the Euro one, like I can see this being an issue ... definitely bring a 12 or 15 ft. extension along with a power tap, no surge protector.

I am running two (2) 6' USB extension from the desk-dresser to one side of the bed so that ... Two extra person sharing a cozy cabinet these days with multiple gadgets, yes ... plan ahead. Guest Services had some extension cords for loan.

Costs & time were the major resons NCL did not do the USB or outlet upgrade 3 years ago. Someone in a suite actually brought this up at the M&G when the GM stayed and took a # of questions.

BTW, we had no service animal at all this week and under 2,300 guests onboard and less than 70 children. Lots of solo cruisers got deals on balconies at cheap Sailaway prices.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks again !!!  Sailing solo..so I am sure I can manage. with one outlet for one  phone..and I always bring an extension cord for the CPAP  anyway.  it is just weird that NCL does not realize (or care??)  that a bedside outlet would be just so convenient!! esp. with so many people with medical needs.  Extension cords are not only inconvenient but dangerous on the floor!

Here's a quiet place, overlooking the atrium lobby below, sit & read, relax & catch up on email or social media ... Deck 9 Mid, also by spiral staircase up from O'Sheehan's as live music is played.

Tonight, it's Aerials: Duo Odyssey ... yet to be seen in the Stardust main theater: Elements & Band on the Run.

Collage 2019-05-13 19_28_58.jpg

Collage 2019-05-13 20_06_00.jpg

Edited by mking8288

On 5/12/2019 at 9:11 AM, amygutman said:

Following (with glee) 🙂

On the Dawn in 33 days...this is lovely. So excited to hear Luz is on board - she has been a bolt of energy on 3 different boats with us as CD ad ACD. 

Thank you for taking the time to post - really making a lot of folks happy!

Amy

I will be on the Dawn in June. I am so excited and hope that both Luz and Vo will be there. They are both fantastic!

Hi Hi!

Is there an umbrella in the room (closet)? debating if I need to bring my own umbrella or not.  On Celebrity, they have an umbrella in the closet for the guests.  I will also be bringing the 99 cents rain poncho.

Let me know.  I'll be on this cruise next week.  Following you everyday as I do my countdown!

🙂

Here's Luz on stage earlier, at the end of the show, great performance. Go see it, 45 minutes long.

No umbrella in most ? staterooms, best to bring your own, depending on forecast. Sun was out all day in Halifax, St. John is another story, not looking good ... we shall find out.

Running near top speed, seas are calm, 5 ft. at Max, otherwise nearly flat.  We are on portside - Deck 4 # 452x & it's quiet, no noise from above or white space across.

Collage 2019-05-13 23_33_11.jpg

Collage 2019-05-13 23_39_53.jpg

Collage 2019-05-12 17_56_26.jpg

😁😁😁😁

This thread is making me smile....

Thanks for all of the lovely photos and tips - just hopped off smile.amazon to purchase electrical adapter plugs (17$ is quite the bargain) and usb extenders. As much as we "unplug" during a cruise, charging the phones / cameras is always important. 

I am loving the photos with labeling - gives you a great sense of what / where is happening (and what you are eating!) on the ship. 

Also impressed by the room size - we went on a CC room tour on our fist Gem cruise years ago and I don't remember your room category being so light and airy - it looks really well planned out and easy to move around in. Maybe it's the color scheme, but it looks like a great place to relax. 

Thank you again - 32 days and counting....🛥️