Drinks Package

Scottygirl1

I have made a spreadsheet with all the latest drinks prices plus gratuity and I'm going crazy trying to figure out if we should get the drinks package (PBP) or buy as we go plus bring wine onboard.  The advantage of not having a drink package is that we can buy a bucket of beer to have in the room plus bring on some wine and pay the $15 per bottle.  To have a drink in our room we'll be running up and down the stairs to the bar for each drink!

So questions:  I've seen the 187 ml bottle of bubbly on the drinks menu, can you get these from the bar with cork intact?  If so I could get a couple (one at a time from different bars) on my walk around the ship to take back to my room for drinks there.  Same question for beer, do they always take the top off beer or could he get a bottle from the bar to take back to the room (with top on)?  

The main advantage for us of having the PBP is convenience, not thinking about the cost all the time while enjoying our holiday, the ability to try new drinks and overall relaxation!

I'd love your thoughts please.

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Running up and down stairs will help offset the alcohol weight gain, plus help circulation and sobering up.  😉

Haha, we did this (or should I say my husband did this) on our last RCI cruise!  The bar wasn't far so hopefully won't be too far on this cruise but we haven't had cabin allocation yet.

IMHO, you have to drink a lot to make the drink package worth it. That includes Port days. You also don't have to think about whether a drink is in the package or not. Instead of thinking of the cost, think about working your bill up to the cost of a drink package.

• Like 1

I’m one of those who would get value out of a drink package, back when I drank, personally I don’t think it’s that hard 4-8 drinks a day (depending on what you drink) isn’t really that much. Now it’s diet Coke only, but I still pay attention and have frequently seen people still carrying unopen bottles, so expect your plan would work.

I always get the drink package on Princess on 5-10 day cruises. I like to drink LOTS of black coffee in the morning and really don't want to pay per cup (and the coffee in the buffet is AWFUL). I can drink plenty of alcoholic drinks too and when I just want something refreshing, I have a Pellegrino with lemon. It's all covered and I don't have to look at drink menu prices or tally in my head "how much have I spent today?" There are VERY few drinks NOT covered by Princess' drink package. Also, I just ask the bartender NOT to open my beer or bubbly when I order - nobody has ever refused. I take them back to the cabin and store in my mini fridge. It's a little tougher decision on a 14 day or longer cruise. Cheers!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scottygirl1 said:

The advantage of not having a drink package is that we can buy a bucket of beer to have in the room plus bring on some wine and pay the $15 per bottle. 

So questions:  I've seen the 187 ml bottle of bubbly on the drinks menu, can you get these from the bar with cork intact?  If so I could get a couple (one at a time from different bars) on my walk around the ship to take back to my room for drinks there.  Same question for beer, do they always take the top off beer or could he get a bottle from the bar to take back to the room (with top on)?  

The main advantage for us of having the PBP is convenience, not thinking about the cost all the time while enjoying our holiday, the ability to try new drinks and overall relaxation!

I'd love your thoughts please.

You can still get a bucket of beer you would just have to pay for it. The drink package has nothing to do with bringing on your own wine. You can always do that. We tended to bring on our "free" bottles of wine but usually just had wine at Vines in the evening.I got many unopened 187ml bottles of champagne to take back to my cabin. I absolutely loved having the beverage package but only had it twice - as a free perk. I'm far too cheap to pay for it.

6 hours ago, NRWPA said:

I always get the drink package on Princess on 5-10 day cruises. I like to drink LOTS of black coffee in the morning and really don't want to pay per cup (and the coffee in the buffet is AWFUL). I can drink plenty of alcoholic drinks too and when I just want something refreshing, I have a Pellegrino with lemon. It's all covered and I don't have to look at drink menu prices or tally in my head "how much have I spent today?" There are VERY few drinks NOT covered by Princess' drink package. Also, I just ask the bartender NOT to open my beer or bubbly when I order - nobody has ever refused. I take them back to the cabin and store in my mini fridge. It's a little tougher decision on a 14 day or longer cruise. Cheers!

That's good if they will leave them unopened.  We both intend to get the package so there won't be sharing.  Hopefully we will be able to get some bottles unopened for later use!   I think, for a seven night cruise, we've decided to go with the drink package - any longer and yes, it would become too expensive.  I like the idea of good coffee in the morning, Pellegrino when I don't want an alcoholic drink (I don't drink sugary drinks). 

• Like 1

You spend too much time in your cabin. Get up and out in the AM and return in the PM. Get the package and enjoy. The best seats, movies, and views are not found in your cabin or from your balcony. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, masterty said:

You spend too much time in your cabin. Get up and out in the AM and return in the PM. Get the package and enjoy. The best seats, movies, and views are not found in your cabin or from your balcony. 

Thanks, we get out and about don't worry!  The time in the cabin is mainly resting between walking around and up and down the stairs (we never use the lift on ships) and also when getting ready for dinner etc in the evening.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, masterty said:

Wow

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, masterty said:

well said

if you have to worry about the price of drinks on vacation....either don't drink or don't go on vacation......I usually do the drink package.....but this cruise I will pay as I go and not worry.....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

Wow

Too much? I did not intend to be harsh. 

The OP seemed to be concerned with back and forth to the bar from the cabin. I can not imagine being in my cabin longer than one cocktail or beer. I apologize for my surprising comments. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, masterty said:

Too much? I did not intend to be harsh. 

The OP seemed to be concerned with back and forth to the bar from the cabin. I can not imagine being in my cabin longer than one cocktail or beer. I apologize for my surprising comments. 

A beer (or two) in the cabin while the laundry is cycling through is kind of nice. :classic_biggrin:

Text can be such a poor communication medium. Things can be meant one way yet be seen another. It often happens. The OP didn't seem offended by your comment.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

I get where you were coming from but I have to say that some of the BEST days cruising the Mediterranean were on our balcony watching the world go by with a drink in hand.  Pure bliss.  My main concern was current price of drinks v the package and now that I've seen the latest prices (and the wonderful array of cocktails and wines available on the package) we are going with that.  It's a chance to try new drinks and wines more than quantity of drink.   

DSCN0993.jpg

Edited by Scottygirl1
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scottygirl1 said:

I get where you were coming from but I have to say that some of the BEST days cruising the Mediterranean were on our balcony watching the world go by with a drink in hand.  Pure bliss.  My main concern was current price of drinks v the package and now that I've seen the latest prices (and the wonderful array of cocktails and wines available on the package) we are going with that.  It's a chance to try new drinks and wines more than quantity of drink.   

DSCN0993.jpg

I get you, but out on the promenade, you can do the same thing, bundled in a blanket or wearing just a bathing suit. All while in a location they will bring you (serve) drinks. You can slurp one after the next while watching the world go by. Forgo balcony and the savings will pay for the drink package. Win! Win!2056426268_Alaska2014484_0_1.thumb.jpg.ff5c1efeebd83772da3b0a7e4b015715.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, masterty said:

I get you, but out on the promenade, you can do the same thing, bundled in a blanket or wearing just a bathing suit. All while in a location they will bring you (serve) drinks. You can slurp one after the next while watching the world go by. Forgo balcony and the savings will pay for the drink package. Win! Win!2056426268_Alaska2014484_0_1.thumb.jpg.ff5c1efeebd83772da3b0a7e4b015715.jpg

With hundreds of people all around you, on my balcony it’s just me and Mrs Gut, getting some “US” time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rbrad3 said:

if you have to worry about the price of drinks on vacation....either don't drink or don't go on vacation......I usually do the drink package.....but this cruise I will pay as I go and not worry.....

Not everyone has an unlimited budget. Worry is the wrong word but I do have to keep an eye on spending.

• Like 1