Princess Medallion Embark

pamwigs

For those guests sailing on an medallion ship the boarding process is very quick. If the different steps are not completed by the guest, it can take additional steps at check-in which may slow the process. This medallion is great technology and new process so while it's rolling out, when embarking it may take a little longer. Being patient is the key. I'm excited and can't wait to experience it on the Crown this fall.

25 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

For those guests sailing on an medallion ship the boarding process is very quick. If the different steps are not completed by the guest, it can take additional steps at check-in which may slow the process. This medallion is great technology and new process so while it's rolling out, when embarking it may take a little longer. Being patient is the key. I'm excited and can't wait to experience it on the Crown this fall.

🤔🤔🤔

Could you possibly share some specifics as to the medallion boarding experience that has led you to make the two completely contradictory conclusions above?

I don't know if the OP is comparing Vancouver to Port Everglades? But being someone who did all the steps - uploaded pictures and passports, had the Medallion shipped to my home, had all the right things ready at check in, I can tell you in Vancouver it did not help. It was their first go at Medallion and they were not at all ready. From my experience there I suspect it will be some time before Vancouver is ready to go with Medallion check in.

Now, if we're talking about Ft. Lauderdale's Medallion process, that's a whole other world.

The process of checking in with a medallion ship makes checking in very fast.

With that being said, there are steps the guest needs to make before sailing to have everything in place when they arrive at the port.  Downloading the Ocean Ready App and following all the steps.

As each ship rolls out the medallion process, as with anything new the process check in might be a little slow because of the learning curve for guests as well as crew. 

19 minutes ago, fishywood said:

🤔🤔🤔

Could you possibly share some specifics as to the medallion boarding experience that has led you to make the two completely contradictory conclusions above?

Once the process of checking in with a medallion ship is rolled out to more ships, checking in will be very fast.

With that being said, there are steps the guest needs to make before sailing to have everything in place when they arrive at the port.  Downloading the Ocean Ready App and following all the steps.

As each ship rolls out the medallion process, as with anything new the process check in might be a little slow because of the learning curve for guests as well as crew. 

33 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

Doesn't matter about the Ship. It is about the Port/Terminal staff. Once they figure it out, then they know it for all ships with the Medallion.

I would have to say that the "quick checkin" only matters if you show up after boarding has commenced, and even then, only marginally. We always show up very early, and on the Royal two weeks ago ay San Pedro, Medallion checkin made no difference to us as we still had to sit in the PES lounge for almost an hour until boarding started anyway. Also, in the pre-Medallion days, check-in usually took us a whopping 5 minutes at the counter while the Princess rep did their processing and gave us our cards, so reducing that small amount of check-in time is hardly important for us.

• Like 1

I concur with pamwigs;  the main hold up on boarding day is people who don't have their security photo taken prior to getting to the port.  They have all their medallion stuff ready; but their security photo is not a full frontal face shot.  If it isn't a clear shot; then they have to retake Princess security has to retake your photo with a ipad; and this slows down the line

9 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I don't think the OP has actually been through a Medallion check in as yet.  Some posters are reading too much into OP's post.

Oh it is very obvious that the OP hasn't personally experienced Medallion check in. They were just sharing with the world that they expect the Medallion to be the greatest invention since sliced bread. Kinda like a tween-age girl on a Justin Bieber fansite. They weren't really looking for any substantive feedback, but thankfully some responses have pushed the issue. 

Edited by fishywood
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, richmke said:

Doesn't matter about the Ship. It is about the Port/Terminal staff. Once they figure it out, then they know it for all ships with the Medallion.

When I say Ship Rollout I mean all those involved on the ship and at the port. There's going to be a learning curve for everyone involved (crew, port staff and guests). Once learned it's a fabulous system for guests.

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I would have to say that the "quick checkin" only matters if you show up after boarding has commenced, and even then, only marginally. We always show up very early, and on the Royal two weeks ago ay San Pedro, Medallion checkin made no difference to us as we still had to sit in the PES lounge for almost an hour until boarding started anyway. Also, in the pre-Medallion days, check-in usually took us a whopping 5 minutes at the counter while the Princess rep did their processing and gave us our cards, so reducing that small amount of check-in time is hardly important for us.

I am not familiar with a PES lounge, but moving forward once things get better understood by everyone (including guests) checking in will be even quicker. 

The Medallion is not just for checking in. There are many benefits for the technology.