Boarding at Different Times

bookworm72

3 hours ago, maryred said:

Your misunderstanding what is meant by checking bags.

That user didn’t misunderstand anything. He was just being sarcastic because he loves going around the forum bragging about smuggling alcohol. It wasn’t worth me replying to it. 

2 hours ago, dlphn501 said:

Everyone in the same cabin will have the same check-in time.  So if OP has a noon check-in time, then her sister will have a noon check-in time.  And if her sister doesn't show up until 2pm, then OP will have to wait until 2pm.

I may still be wrong in how I am reading this, but I didn't want her to think it was 100% that they could check in at different times.  Probably best if she calls Carnival.

It is perfectly acceptable to check in at different times. Yes, they’ll both have the same check-in time, but you’re allowed to check in later than your check-in window. OP can check in on time. It happens all the time. People go on a cruise together, but arrive at the terminal at different times.  Maybe they live in different parts of the country, have different flights, some flying & some driving, whatever. 

17 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Not at all. She’s free to arrive separately. Since you said she’s waiting till closer to sail away, she needs to make sure she’s on board by the final boarding time printed on the boarding pass, or she can’t board. And let her know that they stop checking bags 2 hours before sailing. At that point, she’d have to carry everything on herself. 

I think that's when boarding ends for MOST sailings, as federal law requires it I think. 

3 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

This is my personal nightmare!

Our cruise in 4 weeks we're driving down the day before the cruise and bringing our grandson with us. My daughter and her husband plan to drive down after work later that night. I'm terrified they'll change their mind and decide to drive down the next morning... if they do I'll be a nervous wreck til I see them in the checkin line! I already told my daughter that I'm bringing my grandson's passport, because if they miss the ship, the 3 of us will sail without them!

Smart idea to take his passport. 

My husband works in the medical field and has for many years. He has told me the key to his calm demeanor in any situation is to take a deep breath and remember " I am not the one who is dying". In the case of your daughter missing the ship, while not ideal,  you can take a deep breath and say " I am not the one missing the ship" . 

11 hours ago, Athankfulheart said:

If you check your sister's luggage for her, that might make it easier and quicker for her when she shows up later. She should, of course carry her docs and valuables. I would also suggest a ride to the port rather than messing with parking if she is cutting it close. 

I personally would not check someone else's luggage in. the luggage tags are printed with the individuals names. In the off chance that Carnival realizes that an individuals luggage is on board, yet they have not been Dinged onto the ship. Could sail away be held up to investigate? This would be a good way to make new friends.

Or in my mind using a luggage tag with your name on it, and the person you are checking the luggage in for doesn't show up. I can see myself sitting in a small room, claiming no that's not my bag, as the police respond with then why is your name on the tag?

i

5 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I think that's when boarding ends for MOST sailings, as federal law requires it I think. 

From Carnival:

• Checked baggage service is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published sailing time (printed in the cruise documents).  Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board.

Federal law doesn't require boarding to end 2 hours prior to sailing. If it did, Carnival wouldn't be telling people they have to carry their own luggage on board if they arrive with less than 2 hours until sail time. Your boarding pass will have a Final Boarding time printed on it. That's when boarding ends.

1 hour ago, Hooked Already said:

I personally would not check someone else's luggage in. the luggage tags are printed with the individuals names. In the off chance that Carnival realizes that an individuals luggage is on board, yet they have not been Dinged onto the ship. Could sail away be held up to investigate? This would be a good way to make new friends.

I guess they've changed that within the last  year. We've always had to fill in our own names, including last summer. But I just checked our luggage tags for next year and our names are already on them. Nice.

I wouldn't check someone else's luggage for them whether their name's already on it or not. Aside from possible security issues, we have our own luggage to tend to. And if that person doesn't make it, we're stuck dealing with their luggage. No thanks.

23 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

From Carnival:

• Checked baggage service is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published sailing time (printed in the cruise documents).  Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board.

Federal law doesn't require boarding to end 2 hours prior to sailing. If it did, Carnival wouldn't be telling people they have to carry their own luggage on board if they arrive with less than 2 hours until sail time. Your boarding pass will have a Final Boarding time printed on it. That's when boarding ends.

This is what NCL's website says regarding this subject matter.1 So yes, you are right in regards to the government not requiring boarding to end 2 hours prior to sailing, but to be prompt one hour prior to the departure time is a Federal law nevertheless.

1 "In order to facilitate the embarkation process, the processing of your eDocs, and to comply with new government regulations governing departure manifest, all guests are required to complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail."

38 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

This is what NCL's website says regarding this subject matter.1 So yes, you are right in regards to the government not requiring boarding to end 2 hours prior to sailing, but to be prompt one hour prior to the departure time is a Federal law nevertheless.

1 "In order to facilitate the embarkation process, the processing of your eDocs, and to comply with new government regulations governing departure manifest, all guests are required to complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail."

Than explain to me how my friend boarded Victory a few weeks ago 30 minutes prior to departure. The safety briefing had already started when he boarded the ship. 

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Than explain to me how my friend boarded Victory a few weeks ago 30 minutes prior to departure. The safety briefing had already started when he boarded the ship. 

I can't; your friend either lied to you about the time they boarded OR you are making up this "scenario" which appears to be incredibly unrealistic in order to make a fool out of not me but you. By law, it is required for you to board at least one hour before the scheduled departure time on your boarding pass. Period, no ifs, buts, ands or maybes about it. IT IS THE LAW.

Edited by jbethel11

I wouldnt hestitate to put my tag on my sisters suitcase to my cabin and check it. Id take a pic of it to help incase it went missing. My sister isnt going to put anything in her bag that I wouldnt. In fact, on a girls cruise we would be sharing a cabin we may even cross pack. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Athankfulheart said:

Smart idea to take his passport. 

My husband works in the medical field and has for many years. He has told me the key to his calm demeanor in any situation is to take a deep breath and remember " I am not the one who is dying". In the case of your daughter missing the ship, while not ideal,  you can take a deep breath and say " I am not the one missing the ship" . 

You are sooooo right! My biggest concern was if I didn't have his passport I couldn't take my grandson onboard with us, so instead of the 2 of them missing the ship, it would be all 5 of us standing on the dock watching the ship sail away! I know I'm worrying for nothing, but still, I worry! But you are correct- as long as my hubby, grandson and I are onboard, it's my daughter's loss! (well, and sort of ours, since we paid for the cruise!)