A Wind around the British Isles

drron29

18 hours ago, amomx5 said:

He asked about getting krones for Norway and Denmark (we are staying a couple of days in Copenhagen)? Is anyone going to be on that cruise?  

I am on the same cruise and wondered about getting krone too so I posed the question over on the 'ask a cruise question' forum and was reminded that Scandinavia is going almost totally cashless, and tipping is not expected (altho' not refused, in any major currency!) so I intend to use my debit and credit cards only, although I will probably get a small amount of krone from an ATM for my own interest and comfort.

Being a dinosaur I used to laugh at 'cashless' as being unrealistic in practice until a recent trip to London when I did the whole ten days (including tipping) on my debit card - never touched any actual notes or coins at all. So convenient.

3 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Far FAR too easy to go contactless /cashless. It’s when you look at your bank statement several days later that you realise just how easy it really was 😀

Why do you feel the need to say that? Kinda insulting.

Cash ... card ... many people are capable of managing their spending mindfully.

Day 9.Lerwick,Shetland Islands.

So had my American crispy bacon today.I never thought that one day it would be my preferred way of having bacon.Did talk to the HD today about the bacon and he said I know it is crap.Trying to change suppliers.

We went on the Northmavine tour.Was very enjoyable driving up to the northern part of the"Mainland"Shetland ponies,Shetland sheep,Icelandic horses,many birds and seals,A good guide and learnt a lot of the history and way of life of Shetland Islanders.

Tea and shortbread along the way plus a walk along the clifftops.Although it is time for the puffins to arrive none were seen.Also a visit to a Laird's house.I got to skip stones on the Atlantic ocean.

Dropped off in town.Had been told the Shetlands produce 80% of Scotlands mussels so tried to have them for lunch.Even went to the Information office who told us the best places were the Queen's or Grand hotels.Queens was closest.Sign in the Window said welcome guests of Le Ponant,Marco polo and Silver Wind.Open at 1600.Le Pomant had just left and the Wind's last shuttle was 1700.So went to the Grand.Sign there said Bar and Snacks open 5.30 pm.Ah the efficient Scottish tourism industry.Ended up going back to the ship and a late lunch of fruit.

Trivia and scraped into second but blitzed the putting with a 4 shot win!

A 1830 show with a local trio playing Shetland music.Quite enjoyable.

Another lovely dinner with our neighbours in the next suite and an English couple.A perfect end to a delightful day.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, drron29 said:

So had my American crispy bacon today.I never thought that one day it would be my preferred way of having bacon.

😂😂😂

I have a feeling that’s what most Americans would say about vegemite, i.e. never thought one day it would be my preferred spread on toast.

• Like 2

Day 10.Kirkwall,Orkney Islands.

Breakfast in the suite again as going on tour.Did the highlights of Orkney tour.Drove around one side of Scapa Flow.Had an hour in Stromness the second largest town then stopped at the Ring of Brodgar-standing stones in a circle.A reasonable introduction to the Orkneys.Though one woman was incensed that we only had 30 minutes at the Ring of Brodgar when one of the other tours had 1 hour.There was a Silversea staffer with the tour and she was asked to ring Silversea and demand we have an extra 30 minutes here.Most of us thought 30 minutes adequate as it was freezing.

We had a lovely lobster roll in Stromness.

Then it was back to the ship for a rest stop before getting the shuttle into Kirkwall.What an interesting place with a cathedral dating back to the mid 1100s.Shops all open and a greater range of products at more reasonable prices mainly than the last 3 days.I got myself an Orkney cap.

Unfortunately the restaurants were mainly traditional Scots restaurants with haggis,tatties,neeps and black pudding.So when we got back to the ship we shared a pizza and a hot dog from the all day menu.

We are steadily getting less answers in the trivia but still managed third and I got just a single point in the putting.

A highlight was dinner with the CD,Fabien and 2 delightful American ladies one of whom is well known on these boards.Lively discussion and good food.I even tried the black pudding and it probably was the best I have tasted.

Off to Invergordon tomorrow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

A highlight was dinner with the CD,Fabien and 2 delightful American ladies one of whom is well known on these boards.Lively discussion and good food.I even tried the black pudding and it probably was the best I have tasted.

Any new news in addition to what you shared previously?

I was about to answer this nearly 2 hours ago but as we docked at Invergordon the wifi disappeared.Fortunately they have found it again.

The conversation last night was wide ranging but no further details of fleet changes.Though the Shadow is having work done on the crew quarters now so that there is less to do in the dry dock.By the sounds of it this was desperately needed.

A few more specifics re the changes RCI is having-really they should basically be for the better though some might not think so.For example the sommelier joined us in the conversation about wines.The budget for individual wines has definitely increased but,as it should be,wines are not excluded due to being from Chile for example.They are winning many awards.Carmenere for example.This was discovered when the Chileans looked closely at the Merlot vines and found a lot were Carmenere an old variety basically extinct in France due to Phylloxera.Argentinian malbecs and Chilean merlots are also producing top notch wines.But as the Sommelier said there area lot of people who think if it isn't French it isn't good.Frankly I have not had bad wines on Silversea but quite a few I don't like.One this trip was a French wine.

Another new idea is that now the crew are encouraged to review the performance of their superiors.A good idea IMHO.

Much more but very general in nature.

• Like 3

Day 11.Invergordon.

We had no plans today as we have spent a week in the area a few years ago.The only ship's excursion was a 3 mile hike to a waterfall.Felt that was risky due to the usual weather in these parts.The forecast was for a max temp of 10/50 and a shower or two in the late afternoon.On arriving it was constant rain and there was a couple of clear periods in the afternoon.

As there is nothing much in Invergordon itself we were happy to stay on board and keep dry.Despite many being on tour the internet was no better.Quite a few had the same idea and the MDR was the busiest for lunch that we have seen.

Now today was the day that awards on Singapore airlines became available for our trip to the UK next May.I had been watching availability for a few days.The awards became available at 5pm here and those on the A380 went quickly.Mostly only the overnight flight SIN-LHR remained after 24 hours.So naturally at 5pm the people had arrived back from their tours and the internet was hopeless and it took me an hour to finally be able to pick flights.Fortunately got the last 2 first class awards but on the 777.It was however a day time flight.

Whilst doing that it was trivia time.We bounced  back big time and were easy winners.I did however miss the putting comp.

That night the trivia team had dinner together.It was a great night and we have really come together as a teamBetter though because we had something to celebrate.

It though brought up a negative.The service in the MDR is not up to previous standards possibly because a lot of new wait staff.The table asked for a sorbet before main course and the waiter said that was fine.It never arrived.As well the orders were mixed up so some swapping of dishes.Quite often on this cruise you hear complaints from near by tables of the order being wrong.The food though is much improved and there is 1 page of the menu which changes every night.Another 2 pages of appetisers and mains that change slowly.

Only Leith (Edinburgh) to go before getting back to Tower Bridge.

• Like 2

Dr. Ron & Ann; enjoying your on board reports thank you!

Dr. Ron; to save your resources (time & money) for award searches; suggest a new award search tool developed by juicymiles.com.  Over, the last few years, for complex award searches (Asia, Oceania from US) have used juicy miles award service numerous times; however, generally when time is not an issue,  like to do our own award search/booking.  However, if we were on board Silversea and if we needed to book an award due to timing (award seats open up),  to save our SS cruise time, would not hesitate to use Jmiles.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, amomx5 said:

Thank you ddron29 for checking with the Maitre'D. That puts our minds at ease. I am so glad to see my Dad planning for this cruise. 

Also sending you my condolences and it is lovely to read that your Dad will be joining you on the cruise. Hoping he has a wonderful and peaceful trip. Sounds like you are a very caring daughter:classic_smile:

23 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thx Dr. Ron!  Always appreciate the additional insights.  And, we agree with you; superior reviews are important.

They might make interesting reading, however I really hope that RCI and SS make them completely anonymous unlike their current guest end of cruise questionnaires, which are not at all anonymous.

2 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

...I really hope that RCI and SS make them completely anonymous unlike their current guest end of cruise questionnaires, which are not at all anonymous.

Fully agree.  The current arrangement does not encourage candor.  In fact, I believe it makes the questionnaire results nearly useless.

I’m going to take ddron29’s description of “delightful ladies” to heart! What a nice thing to say!

We did have a lovely dinner with Fabien, the HD. Due to the regularly assigned HD, Marius’ emergency call to return home, Fabien, now working on the corporate side in Monaco, arrived to fill in. Happily the emergency was to welcome a new baby whose arrival must have been unexpectedly early.

I have sailed with Fabien several times...quite a few times...quite a while ago.  He was, and certainly still is, warm, approachable and a stickler for details. I’m extremely glad to have an experienced Silversea officer who knows SS standards at corporate headquarters. I now do feel much more reassured that the buyout will bring positive changes...especially in the refurbishment of the treasured older ships. With the exception of the terrible, dangerous tub/shower combo, my cabin (425) looks fresh and handsome. Let’s hope that the tub/shower units will be replaced when the Wind gets the full treatment.

As drron29 has said; the food is very good. I’ve had only one wine pour I didn’t like and it was swiftly changed. The service, as usual, is outstanding. I haven’t experienced or even noticed any lapses. And I’ve met a lot of genuinely nice fellow passengers whom I hope to meet up with again.

It’s been a lovely cruise in spite of the horribly rough seas on the TA and the generally less than perfect weather on this segment. Of course I could have packed better!

I ❤️SS.

• Like 2

As a couple of brash outspoken Aussies we have no problems saying how it is on the questionnaire.We have a couple of names of staff in the MDR who we will say are not up to SS standard.There are however more that we will name as being very good.Our butler and suite attendant,Phillip and Christine have been a magnificent team anticipating our needs and taking notice of how we do things and adjust accordingly.

And I will mention the bacon😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WesW said:

Dr. Ron & Ann; enjoying your on board reports thank you!

Dr. Ron; to save your resources (time & money) for award searches; suggest a new award search tool developed by juicymiles.com.  Over, the last few years, for complex award searches (Asia, Oceania from US) have used juicy miles award service numerous times; however, generally when time is not an issue,  like to do our own award search/booking.  However, if we were on board Silversea and if we needed to book an award due to timing (award seats open up),  to save our SS cruise time, would not hesitate to use Jmiles.

Thanks Wes but I am a points junkie and the go to guy for friends and family to get awards.I know exactly which day on any airline the awards will be released.The only change is when I am in a different time zone as on this occasion.I actually dislike such sites as they have made life more difficult for me.A few years ago I could wait a week or 2 to book a first class award on Singapore airlines.Now to be sure I need to book as soon as they are released.Not a major problem as Rojaan is a classic A type personality so I know when to get awards even for our 2021 trip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Day 12.Edinburgh

We have stayed in Edinburgh for a few days in the past so we basically had done all the tours.All we did was walk over to the shopping mall where the Royal Yacht Brittania is moored.Quite a few empty stores and nothing of real interest.We took our time and were off the ship for 2 hours.

On returning we shared a pizza in our suite and then we went to sleep.Awoke just in time to go to trivia where once again we came in first.Has been a great team.

I then surprised myself by once again winning at putting-though the entertainer taking the golf to day pointed out the 3 times I have been there with her are the 3 times I have one.A lucky charm but I don't think I can take her home!

Pre dinner drinks in the Panorama lounge then another very enjoyable dinner with another Aussie couple and 2 English couples.Food was again good and the Thai vegetable green curry was excellent.

Tomorrow is a sea day on the way back to London.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

...I really hope that RCI and SS make them completely anonymous unlike their current guest end of cruise questionnaires, which are not at all anonymous.

7 hours ago, Observer said:

Fully agree.  The current arrangement does not encourage candor.  In fact, I believe it makes the questionnaire results nearly useless.

I’m amazed, even after cruising with SS for 11-years, I still learn new info.  I had no idea the guest questionnaire wasn’t anonymous.  I bet the vast majority of passengers have no idea either.  

27 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’m amazed, even after cruising with SS for 11-years, I still learn new info.  I had no idea the guest questionnaire wasn’t anonymous.  I bet the vast majority of passengers have no idea either.  

The mid-cruise questionnaire can be anonymous.  One is asked to provide one's name and suite number.

On the bubble-form end-of-cruise questionnaire, the suite number and cruise number are printed in very small type on the form.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Observer said:

On the bubble-form end-of-cruise questionnaire, the suite number and cruise number are printed in very small type on the form.

Supposedly they are scanned and the details are sent to Head Office, however the GRM and HR Mgr get to see the comments, and I think the low scores.

54 minutes ago, Observer said:

The mid-cruise questionnaire can be anonymous.  One is asked to provide one's name and suite number.

If you add you suite number and name you normally get a written response from the HD, but not always, and especially if the HD is Norman.

Day 13.At sea.Plus Day 14 and the Thames and Tower Bridge.

Breakfast as usual in the MDR.Now I order granola and mixed berries with milk not yoghurt.Rojaan orders berry yoghurt plus mixed berries.I get my order but no milk.Takes a few minutes to come back with it.Rojaan is presented with a bowl of berries and a tub of pineapple yoghurt-she never eats pineapple.waiter goes back into the kitchen and then the Asst.Maitre'D comes over and says sorry no berry yoghurt but we might have it tomorrow.Hello,we are having a day at sea how is the berry yoghurt going to be loaded?So she asks ifthere are any other flavours.Just after my milk arrives we are both brought a bowl of.........berry yoghurt!

The best weather we have had all crease.Bright sunshine with a few clouds.Pass a lot of oil rigs and a massive on shore wind farm which takes a little more than 1 hour to pass and the ship is travelling at 12 knots.Plus the farm is angled away from us.

A sale in the boutigue but appears the discount is miniscule.

Last day of trivia.We start well but go down in a heap.One team scores 26 points.The second last to reveal their score is the very competitive team and they say 27 points.The last team scores 28.Then the competitive team,as they have done a few times,says-we added up wrong.We got 29 points.It's only a game people.

Then in the putting competition.Only 2 holes as the entertainer has an early show.I lose by 1 shot to the fellow whose total score was 2.No problems he probably was the nicest guy playing.

The Farewell and crew parade so naturally a formal night.We had dinner with another Aussie couple,a couple from England and another from the USA.vigorous discussion and suddenly we realised it was nearly 11 pm and only a couple of others still in the dining room.

Day 14 and we awake as the ship is in the very wide Thames river mouth.It is a really interesting cruise up the river.Naturally today the weather is overcast and breezy.The info says it is 17C but the real feel is probably half that.Still it really is a magic moment going under the Tower Bridge.

image.jpeg.8d7b0f3c2e34061382f833519bdea3c0.jpeg..

image.jpeg.742533c9619b9f2f1bb75ef921d98550.jpeg..

image.jpeg.1e4ef499e864be5527635549cc80b81f.jpeg..image.jpeg.e7c76dc092e438ddf1576e3d1092fa52.jpeg..

image.jpeg.4cda8303cfaad6199f5161fbe953a7b8.jpeg.image.jpeg.bf6dc3ca7904ab1dd4c9853cdb44c07c.jpeg..

image.jpeg.b0c36623292e42ae85e94cb7a2b47a77.jpeg.

image.jpeg.3f6a866fb0db8f160a2982b801f09f26.jpeg.

Worked out yet another way to post photos after resizing!

• Like 2