Understanding Group ID

I'm sure like everyone else, I research cruises on different web sites till I find something that DW and I will enjoy.  So last month I found a 2021 cruise through an online agency that the price was too good to pass up.  I checked with RCI web site, and the price was about $1800 more for the same cabin for two people.  So I even had a local TA check to see if they could price it out.  They too were $1800 more.  So I called the online company and asked for a quote.  Sure enough quote was correct.  So I called again to see if they could get the diamond C&A balcony discount, and yep, another $325 off. 

So the only thing on the booking confirmation that is different to me is a Group ID number. What does the number mean?  Did this company get a truly fantastic price for a block of cabins from RCI, or am I hooking into a group that I know nothing about?

3 minutes ago, RocCruisers said:

I'm sure like everyone else, I research cruises on different web sites till I find something that DW and I will enjoy.  So last month I found a 2021 cruise through an online agency that the price was too good to pass up.  I checked with RCI web site, and the price was about $1800 more for the same cabin for two people.  So I even had a local TA check to see if they could price it out.  They too were $1800 more.  So I called the online company and asked for a quote.  Sure enough quote was correct.  So I called again to see if they could get the diamond C&A balcony discount, and yep, another $325 off. 

So the only thing on the booking confirmation that is different to me is a Group ID number. What does the number mean?  Did this company get a truly fantastic price for a block of cabins from RCI, or am I hooking into a group that I know nothing about?

You just booked into a group.  That group could be anywhere from 8 cabins and up.  It is nothing to be concerned about.  That group is just a block of rooms that the TA reserved early and locked in a great price.  Happens all the time.

1 hour ago, RocCruisers said:

Not asking for online agency, just asking if you care to share ship and sailing date in 2021?

Think I just found your sailing

Rhapsody  - Feb. 2nd 2021

those balcony prices are crazy high, what category did you find the great price on?

Edited by Jimbo

48 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not asking for online agency, just asking if you care to share ship and sailing date in 2021?

Think I just found your sailing

Rhapsody  - Feb. 2nd 2021

those balcony prices are crazy high, what category did you find the great price on?

2B and 4B

Huge savings

50 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

2B and 4B

Huge savings

Not cool, even at a $1800 savings, there are better priced cruises out there..and that ship is OLD

Back to opening my pool.........outta here!

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You just booked into a group.  That group could be anywhere from 8 cabins and up.  It is nothing to be concerned about.  That group is just a block of rooms that the TA reserved early and locked in a great price.  Happens all the time.

Are these group rates more common on double occupancy balcony cabins on higher demand sailings?  I can't seem to find them for 4 person cabins during off season sailings.  

Just now, Dan83 said:

Are these group rates more common on double occupancy balcony cabins on higher demand sailings?  I can't seem to find them for 4 person cabins during off season sailings.  

Royal does not offer group space for triples or quads.

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal does not offer group space for triples or quads.

That would explain why I never see them offered. I'm pricing for a family of 4 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Its often cheaper to get 2 cabins at group rates than it is to get 1 cabin for 4.

Interesting, now I have to re-research my reservations. I have 2 for 2020 and 1 for 2021.  Are group rates offered with refundable deposits? 

4 minutes ago, RocCruisers said:

So this was a serendipitous find.  The person I talked with really didn't know it was a great price.  So how does anyone find these deals? 

Group rates are not supposed to be advertised on line although some agencies break those rules. You are best to talk with an actual agent. The larger the travel agency the more group space they will hold. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Group rates are not supposed to be advertised on line although some agencies break those rules. You are best to talk with an actual agent. The larger the travel agency the more group space they will hold. 

Just to reiterate - it was not advertised.  I happened to search for a cheaper cruise and grabbed it. 

4 minutes ago, RocCruisers said:

Just to reiterate - it was not advertised.  I happened to search for a cheaper cruise and grabbed it. 

Not supposed to be visible by searching.  You should have to ask or the agent on the phone can tell you about it. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

On 5/18/2019 at 5:42 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Not supposed to be visible by searching.  You should have to ask or the agent on the phone can tell you about it. 

The price can't be advertised if it's lower than the lowest publicly available rate, but they can advertise that they have discounted group space with certain value adds (like On Board Credit). So something like:

"Balcony cabin for only $1,800" wouldn't be allowed, but, "Balcony cabins available at lower than advertised rates with $100 On Board Credit, please call for details" is allowed, if I understand the rules correctly.

As for the groups themselves, there's no harm or risk booking into a group. They are only offered for double occupancy, (although Royal can convert a double occupancy group cabin to a single with the supplement), triple and quad won't work at all. The travel agency picks the number and types of cabins, so they may only have group space in a specific cabin type. This can lead to some interesting situations (for example on our 2021 Australia cruise, there was group space for balconies, but not for interior, so we were able to get a better price on a balcony than an interior)