Virgin Upper Class seat/bed selection?

GeezerCouple

We'll be flying Virgin Atlantic for the first time in a few weeks, in Upper Class (thank you rewards points!).

I think I chose the wrong seats based upon not understanding how those Upper Class seat/beds are arranged.

DH and I prefer to be able to speak occasionally, or at least look to see if the other is sleeping, etc.

That doesn't work well in full suite/pods like CX F, but we didn't mind in the least given all of the other luxury!

But it appears that the beds are sort of stacked next to each other, such that we might want to have two beds both on the window?

I had selected seat/beds across the aisle from each other, angled such that on the chart it appeared the both opened to the same aisle, with a third bed in each row by itself along the far window side, with it's own aisle.

But maybe we should both be "next to each other" on a window side (or even, if necessary, both be on the middle section?

Also, it looks difficult to get into those beds when flat... is it as tricky as it looks (no way to walk on the side of the bed, but need to crawl up from the foot of the bed *on* the seat/mattress.

Maybe the photos I saw weren't 'real'?

We have very few choices of premium award seats due to a necessary change of dates not long before travel.  Usually, we plan many months out and get a nice choice of airlines, flights, and seating selections.  There were almost no awards available, other than with two connections AND an overnight at an airport - not our favorite idea...

Many thanks.

GC

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

DH and I prefer to be able to speak occasionally, or at least look to see if the other is sleeping, etc.

That doesn't work well in full suite/pods like CX F, but we didn't mind in the least given all of the other luxury!

But it appears that the beds are sort of stacked next to each other, such that we might want to have two beds both on the window?

I had selected seat/beds across the aisle from each other, angled such that on the chart it appeared the both opened to the same aisle, with a third bed in each row by itself along the far window side, with it's own aisle.

But maybe we should both be "next to each other" on a window side (or even, if necessary, both be on the middle section?

I've never flown VS in business class, so I don't have any personal experience of this. But I understand that this seat is not going to make conversation between seats easy wherever you sit. The passenger's feet point into the aisle in every seat, so across the aisle doesn't work for conversation. And if you're side-by-side on the same window side, you still have a high partition between every seat.

VS' new seat is very different from this, but it sounds like that isn't what's planned for your flight.

1 minute ago, Globaliser said:

I've never flown VS in business class, so I don't have any personal experience of this. But I understand that this seat is not going to make conversation between seats easy wherever you sit. The passenger's feet point into the aisle in every seat, so across the aisle doesn't work for conversation. And if you're side-by-side on the same window side, you still have a high partition between every seat.

VS' new seat is very different from this, but it sounds like that isn't what's planned for your flight.

Yup, that's what it appears to be, although the equipment can change or, of course, the diagram could be out of date, etc.

I'm now thinking we want to be a "horizontal bunk bed" pair, so at least one of us can just (stand up? kneel on the bed/seat?) to say something - or just gaze lovingly ? :classic_wink:

Otherwise, it seems likely that we'd need to get up, step across the aisle, and peer into the alcove, just to see or to say something quickly, etc. And it doesn't look like it's easy to get in and out of that "alcove", although that's hard to tell from photos thus far.

At least we'll both have a window... with our *backs* to it??

Thanks very much.

GC

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Otherwise, it seems likely that we'd need to get up, step across the aisle, and peer into the alcove, just to see or to say something quickly, etc. And it doesn't look like it's easy to get in and out of that "alcove", although that's hard to tell from photos thus far.

At least we'll both have a window... with our *backs* to it??

I think that someone on FlyerTalk has a signature along the lines of "You call that a window seat? I'd break my neck trying to look out of it!"

AIUI, you're right about what you'd need to do if you're across the aisle from each other. You can try to judge from photos what you'd need to do to peer over the top of the divider between adjacent seats, but I expect it's possible. One other thing that I think (IIRC) is a feature of the seat is that if you want to put it into bed mode, the seat/"mattress" has to be flipped over, for which you obviously have to get up.

The other bit of advice which I've heard/seen is that if you do want to be able to sleep, make sure you get a seat further away from the onboard bar.

23 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I think that someone on FlyerTalk has a signature along the lines of "You call that a window seat? I'd break my neck trying to look out of it!"

AIUI, you're right about what you'd need to do if you're across the aisle from each other. You can try to judge from photos what you'd need to do to peer over the top of the divider between adjacent seats, but I expect it's possible. One other thing that I think (IIRC) is a feature of the seat is that if you want to put it into bed mode, the seat/"mattress" has to be flipped over, for which you obviously have to get up.

The other bit of advice which I've heard/seen is that if you do want to be able to sleep, make sure you get a seat further away from the onboard bar.

Thanks.  Too bad we do "understand it right" about that seat/window orientation.  Say what!?

It seems absurd, but we'll see what it is really like in a few weeks.

We did decide to get "side by side" "window" seats.  We'll see how strange it is, with our backs to the window.

GC

12 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Too bad we do "understand it right" about that seat/window orientation.  Say what!?

It seems absurd, but we'll see what it is really like in a few weeks.

Every long-haul business class configuration with lie-flat beds can only work commercially if passengers can be packed in at a sufficiently high density. Every such configuration therefore has compromises. These are the compromises necessary for this layout. Other layouts have different compromises, but they all have some form of compromise.

Elsewhere on the internet, battles rage about the merits and downsides of different configurations. The very fact that the battles exist proves that these compromises are what they are.

• Like 1

And while discussing those compromises - remember that the vast majority of business class ticket buyers are NOT couples that want to be able to converse during their flight.  The bulk are folks travelling on business, who first and foremost want privacy and the ability to get a good night's sleep. For those customers, "pod" seating arrangements work wonderfully.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:22 PM, GeezerCouple said:

It seems absurd, but we'll see what it is really like in a few weeks

Serious question, as I'm trying to understand.

Just what is "absurd"?  And why is that so?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Serious question, as I'm trying to understand.

Just what is "absurd"?  And why is that so?

Thanks.

Oh... having a "window seat", where the window is ... behind one's back!

GC

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, GeezerCouple said:

Also, it looks difficult to get into those beds when flat... is it as tricky as it looks (no way to walk on the side of the bed, but need to crawl up from the foot of the bed *on* the seat/mattress.

Maybe the photos I saw weren't 'real'?

We flew VS back from London last year on a similar aircraft. Yes, the "window" seats are not the traditional layout and it will be somewhat hard to speak to each other even if you are seated next to each. You may have to stand, unless you're tall. Also, each little seat pod had a footrest/chair that someone can sit on while the other person is in their seat, in the same pod. My DH and I did this when we flew, it was sort of comfortable. But we are both short! You can also sit on the stools at the bar in back of the cabin, whether you drink or not.

We had selected seats next to each other but for some unexplained reason, they were changed right before we flew (within the 24 hours before we boarded). DH and I ended on opposite sides of the plane. By the time we told the flight attendants, there wasn't much they could do, so they suggested we sit at the bar. As it was an afternoon/evening flight, this worked great for us.

We didn't have them set our seats up to lie flat but I saw people who did and I don't think there was much crawling needed to get in. There is enough space to get next to the bed and sit down, then swing your legs up. I also found that just reclining the seat was comfortable for sleeping but I don't mind sitting up a bit.

That was a great flight and it was such a nice way to end our TA/BI cruise. I think you will enjoy it.

Good luck

ML

3 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

We flew VS back from London last year on a similar aircraft. Yes, the "window" seats are not the traditional layout and it will be somewhat hard to speak to each other even if you are seated next to each. You may have to stand, unless you're tall. Also, each little seat pod had a footrest/chair that someone can sit on while the other person is in their seat, in the same pod. My DH and I did this when we flew, it was sort of comfortable. But we are both short! You can also sit on the stools at the bar in back of the cabin, whether you drink or not.

We had selected seats next to each other but for some unexplained reason, they were changed right before we flew (within the 24 hours before we boarded). DH and I ended on opposite sides of the plane. By the time we told the flight attendants, there wasn't much they could do, so they suggested we sit at the bar. As it was an afternoon/evening flight, this worked great for us.

We didn't have them set our seats up to lie flat but I saw people who did and I don't think there was much crawling needed to get in. There is enough space to get next to the bed and sit down, then swing your legs up. I also found that just reclining the seat was comfortable for sleeping but I don't mind sitting up a bit.

That was a great flight and it was such a nice way to end our TA/BI cruise. I think you will enjoy it.

Good luck

ML

Thanks very much!

Good to know we don't need to "crawl in" :classic_ohmy:

(I couldn't really imagine that being needed, but I couldn't find a direct answer.  It's just such an odd arrangement in general, that... who knows, etc.!?)

We'll be fine with an occasional "peering over" if we have a question or such.  It's just not nearly as convenient as when there are side-by-side with the divider lowered, and one just needs to lean forward.  It makes more of a difference for an actual conversation.

Is there a seat belt on the ottoman?  (I'm trying to think how that would work without a "back" to the seat.

Similarly, I assume there aren't seatbelts on the "bar stools"?  (Yes, I figure that sounds silly.  We have a background in vehicle safety, so we may notice such things more.  And given clear air turbulence, "Why not?", is how we feel about it, given that staying belted in most of the time is usually quite easy.)

And when sitting up, is there ANY way to swivel the seat so that the window is functional other than as a source of indirect light during daytime?  I'm assuming not.

29 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks very much!

Good to know we don't need to "crawl in" :classic_ohmy:

(I couldn't really imagine that being needed, but I couldn't find a direct answer.  It's just such an odd arrangement in general, that... who knows, etc.!?)

We'll be fine with an occasional "peering over" if we have a question or such.  It's just not nearly as convenient as when there are side-by-side with the divider lowered, and one just needs to lean forward.  It makes more of a difference for an actual conversation.

Is there a seat belt on the ottoman?  (I'm trying to think how that would work without a "back" to the seat.

Similarly, I assume there aren't seatbelts on the "bar stools"?  (Yes, I figure that sounds silly.  We have a background in vehicle safety, so we may notice such things more.  And given clear air turbulence, "Why not?", is how we feel about it, given that staying belted in most of the time is usually quite easy.)

And when sitting up, is there ANY way to swivel the seat so that the window is functional other than as a source of indirect light during daytime?  I'm assuming not.

It is an odd arrangement but I still loved the flight!

Yes, "peering over" is the only way, unless one of you uses the little seat in the pod. It does limit conversation a bit :classic_wink: We weren't next to each other, so this wasn't a problem for us.

No seatbelt on the little seat/footrest (it becomes part of the lie flat bed I think). But there is some back support against the partition. No seatbelt on the bar stools. We didn't have any turbulence (this was in May 2018). My guess is that if it got too bad, the attendant would send you back to your seats. We enjoyed sitting at the bar and reliving our cruises, time in London, etc. And had great service--had to turn down the offer to refill our wine glasses a few times! Lots of nice little snacks too. We sat there for about 2.5 hours, then returned to our seats. Didn't even see each other again until after we got off the plane!

• 4 weeks later...

We flew last year jfk to Heathrow on the window seat with the back wall of the other rows facing us our pics are below.  I think if you get the window/aisle they face each other but at an angle. The beds easy to get in & out off, as we had a night flight home we didn’t really speak.  

76633281-36FE-4EEB-9971-5E91921DF8AF.jpeg

C57A332D-BD84-4761-A599-0B477B74BC0C.jpeg

CE82AAF6-7F4C-49B3-BE11-A74248A0F691.jpeg

6FD4ADFA-8BEE-4AC7-A124-79FD05BCF4E6.jpeg

811269A6-C124-40C6-8504-B0B04AE0AD61.jpeg

We have flown Virgin twice. Both times (at the last minute) our seats were changed and not at all what we booked. You may not get what you think you are getting when you get on the plane.

That said I ended up with a middle seat and had no problem talking to my husband who had a window seat across from me. The foot stool was comfortable we ate our meal together this way. Just don't like the way Virgin seems to routinely change your seats.

2 hours ago, love to cruz said:

We have flown Virgin twice. Both times (at the last minute) our seats were changed and not at all what we booked. You may not get what you think you are getting when you get on the plane.

That said I ended up with a middle seat and had no problem talking to my husband who had a window seat across from me. The foot stool was comfortable we ate our meal together this way. Just don't like the way Virgin seems to routinely change your seats.

Two questions:  What was "last minute"?  Was there an equipment swap?

Last minute as in did on line check in 24 hours before our flight..  Only got boarding pass for first leg of flight with a partner airline. Told we need to get boarding pass at airport prior to boarding Virgin. Get to airport to find our seats were changed. There was no equipment change either time. Still do not know why this happened, but have read our case is not an isolated one with Virgin.  Loved our flying experience with Virgin both times, but no longer want to take the risk of being moved around again.

UPDATE:

We are back from our trip, and we were able to change our flights in both directions.
Because this was awards travel at almost the last minute, we had dreadful flight schedules/connections.  Outbound, we were going to need not only to change planes, but to change airports and also spend the night at an airport hotel.

Several days before our planned departure, two F seats on LH opened up for a slightly different date (and we were very flexible), and we were able to fly with an overnight flight to FRA, and then one easy connection within the same airport.

On the return, all we could get (so we *knew* that we *could* get back!) was a schedule that involved 3 flights and an overnight at/near an airport (not involving Virgin).

And several days before that return, 2 LH F seats opened up for the same date of initial departure (from Milan), but with a single connection, this time in Munich.

There were relatively small fees to cancel/change/re-bank the points/etc., which were well worth it to us, given how much easier the new flight itineraries were.

We are quite sure that we'll be using Virgin Atlantic in the future (but with better connections!) so all of this information was truly helpful!

Several years ago, we flew cross country on Virgin America (is that the right name?), and we have very fond memories of that flights, even though we were flying coach back then.  (We were, ahem, younger, and so were our bodies...)  Don't know if Virgin Atlantic would be at all similar, but we are happy to give them a try, when/if schedules are reasonable.

Thanks again!

GC

25 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Several years ago, we flew cross country on Virgin America (is that the right name?), and we have very fond memories of that flights, even though we were flying coach back then.  (We were, ahem, younger, and so were our bodies...)  Don't know if Virgin Atlantic would be at all similar, but we are happy to give them a try, when/if schedules are reasonable.

The various "Virgin" brands are separate entities with different ownership.

Also, just an FYI -- Virgin America no longer exists.  It was acquired by Alaska Airlines, with the merger announced in late 2016 and with Virgin ceasing to operate as of mid 2018.

5 hours ago, love to cruz said:

Last minute as in did on line check in 24 hours before our flight..  Only got boarding pass for first leg of flight with a partner airline. Told we need to get boarding pass at airport prior to boarding Virgin. Get to airport to find our seats were changed. There was no equipment change either time. Still do not know why this happened, but have read our case is not an isolated one with Virgin.  Loved our flying experience with Virgin both times, but no longer want to take the risk of being moved around again.

I find if I book with Delta, and the partner airline is Virgin, that I need to log into Virgin to verify my seats.  Although my seats are chosen when making the Delta purchase they are sometimes missing from the Virgin leg so they need to be re-chosen.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, love to cruz said:

Still do not know why this happened, but have read our case is not an isolated one with Virgin.

It's not an isolated case with any airline - they all do it.

The main thing to remember about flying (on any airline) is that you never get to book a specific seat on the aircraft. Whatever you choose is never guaranteed; for that matter, you're never guaranteed to get a seat on the aircraft at all.

• Like 1