Enrichment Lecturers & Resident Historians on Viking Ocean

CCWineLover

One of the areas that has so impressed us with Viking Ocean Cruises is the set of Enrichment Lecturers and Resident Historians that we've experienced so far.  They have been quite good, educational, and even entertaining at times.  And they are filmed so you can watch them on the room TV as well.  Usually they are given in the Star Theatre and sometimes lecturers hold small Q&A discussions in the Explorer's Lounge.  

I would be very interested to hear other's experiences (and opinions) as well.

For example, on our very recent (May) cruise on the Viking Jupiter from Barcelona to Copenhagen, we had 4 quite diverse Lecturers - each with their own style and personality 🙂

A Resident Historian - who had many lectures on history, including Spain, France, the Netherlands, the Bayeux Tapestry (as featured on the ship's stairwell walls), the Vikings

A Resident Astronomer - whose topics were Existence of Intelligent Life on Other Planets, Future of Space Travel,

A guest Lecture who focused on naval history and battles, such as Thomas Cochrane, U-Boat Life in WWII, German WWII Battleships-The Channel Dash, the Battle of Britain, the Social & Cultural Impact of the American GI in Britain.

...and finally the best of all:

Guest Lecturer Russell Lee (a fellow Californian!).
Russell was in our opinion by far the most interesting and best presenter we've had in our 3 Viking Ocean Cruises - this is due not only to the quite interes

ting and diverse topics he spoke on, but in his method of delivery in his presentations.  He has quite a background and is so entertaining, involves his audience (sometimes with his wife Gail), and can make even the subjects that sound not so fun (like wool) so very interesting!  We certainly hope we can see Russell on a future Viking Cruise!

His topics were:

- How Wool Transformed Medieval Europe   (believe me, we learned some amazing things in this one!)

- Fascinating Facts About the Mona Lisa

- The Story of Anne Frank  (quite moving!)

- Tulipomaina - The Bulb that Sprouted the First Stock Market Bubble

I'm sure that many of you had some similar experiences.

1861358839_IMG_4856RussellLee-TalkonWool.jpg.b6dfb12bd9d0cb6830e1c8e2dece28f0.jpg898359329_IMG_5600RussellLee-MonaLisaTalk.jpg.275f57ee78a286bc18c1b9335cb6f69c.jpg230300173_IMG_5601RussellLee-MonaLisaTalk.jpg.01ea44fb9e206c09557438368411ddf8.jpg

Your comment is so interesting because we thought we had the BEST lecturer ever on our recent cruise on the Orion - Dr. John Freedman! His lectures were standing room only, not to be missed. We were on the Hong Kong to Tokyo cruise. I'm glad to know Viking has excellent speakers on all of their cruises. This is one thing that sold us on Viking Oceans.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed that after approximately 30 minutes the talks were available on the cabin tv.  If it was standing room only or if we had other plans we still got to see the show.  And could watch it again if desired.  Viking really has this part thought out.

But no... we had the best lecturer on Viking Sun Durban to Greenwich recently. 😊 Charlie Walker, ASTRONAUT !  Absolutely fascinating, and such a nice guy.

Edited by Jammy Bun
spelling
  • Like 1

Oxford historian Jeremy Peterson was informative and entertaining on the Med Odyssey cruise.  Guy was a hoot.  We'd by happenstance selected an optional tour to Ostia, port of Ancient Rome, which we found out was one of his favorite places.  One day he spontaneously gave a walking lecture on the Bayeux Tapestries on each floor of the staircases.  Fascinating.  Best of all, he held a fun bull session in the Explorer Lounge every evening after dinner.  Lots of back & forth.
Booked another cruise where he will be the historian.
Another lecture we enjoyed was a couple who worked at Bletchley Park in the UK.  British spy stuff.

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I really enjoyed that after approximately 30 minutes the talks were available on the cabin tv.  If it was standing room only or if we had other plans we still got to see the show.  And could watch it again if desired.  Viking really has this part thought out.

Agree completely about the reshowings in the cabins. There were several presentations on our March cruise that we didn't get to see in the theatre but then caught up in the room. Interesting to read so many good comments. I have to echo what has already been said. On the Sky, the one science lecturer - Michael Dispezio - was just so interesting. Besides an amazing command of his subject, he was very animated and enthusiastic. Another one, Corey Sandler, refers to himself as a "story teller" and his presentations were terrific as well. Corey was to give a presentation on the music of the Beatles on Saturday evening, March 23. Unfortunately, the bomb cyclone rather preempted the rest of the day's activities!  

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

James Stourton,  a British art historian and a former Chairman of Sotheby’s UK, is my personal favorite. His talks on his time at Sotheby's  and the Great Houses of London were presented with such wit and charm that they were a highlight of our first Viking Ocean cruise. He happened to be on our shore excursion to Olympia, and his company was a pleasure! 

I don't know how often these individuals repeat their roles on multiple cruises, but I will certainly watch for some of the speakers named here.

Edited by lackcreativity