Disembarking in Cuba

Dantin001

Hello.  We will arrive in Havana at 8 am on a cruise next week.  We have a shore excursion with a local company scheduled for 10 am.  How long does it take to disembark and clear customs in Cuba?  I'm trying to determine what time we should plan to meet to leave the ship.  We have a group of 20 people.  Thank you .

Don't know what ship you're on.  We went in April on Empress of the Seas, and it was very quick to get off.  Our excursion with a local company was also for 10 am, and we had an hour before that to just walk around.  It's much easier than I thought it would be.  If you want to read about my experience go to my website below.  It will be the blog about Cuba at the bottom of the first page.  I tried to be detailed on getting off the ship, the money exchange, etc.  Don't worry, it's all easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dantin001 said:

Are we allowed to bring water bottles off of the ship - not bottled water that we purchase, just drinking water in our own container?

We took off one of those insulated metal water bottles and had no problems with it.  You can buy bottled water in certain places, but our tour guide took us, so I'm not sure where.  There is a market also.  If you get out of the terminal area to the sidewalk, turn left, then walk along the side walk for about ten minutes, there is a large market.  I thought they were kind of pushy, but that doesn't bother everyone.

We were just there on Norwegian Sky - we were off in minutes and then changed our money which also was pretty quick.  We were to meet our guide at 10 am and we sat around for a while.  By far one of the most interesting days - ever!  Enjoy!

Just off CCL Sensation 5/11.  We were to meet our independent tour guides at 9.  We left the ship at 7:30, and by 8 were done with everything.  We hung out in the terminal for 40 minutes, then walked the 3 minutes to our tour and hung out there waiting for the guide. (who came on time, btw!)

We were on NCL Sun last week.  Didn't need to get a ticket if you disembarked between 8-8:30 got in line at 7:45 and we were thru customs and bank by about 8:30. We were at the meeting place for our guide at 8:45 and he showed up right on time at 9am. Our place to meet was one block to the left after leaving the terminal.  

We now know how lucky we are to have what we have.

I have heard of cases where it takes several hours to get off the ship but if you’re in line when the ship arrives, you should have plenty of time.

But you also need to remember that if you happen to get unlucky and get off after 10, the tour guide wants and needs your $$ and they will simply wait.  No worries