Slipped in hot tub area!

travelingfool

To the OP,

Write a letter to Carnival about the lack of slip resistant tread on the stairs (note not slip PROOF), and then submit your bill to the insurance company. That's what insurance is for, and one of the reasons you shelled out your hard earned money for it, right? Let the insurance company do what you paid for it to do, handle the unforseen and the accidents! Glad you weren't seriously hurt, and be careful around wet areas in the future!:)

I don't know why people are saying it's your fault.. and that you weren't more careful. You specifically said you were holding onto the railing. What else can you do?

I too have seen people fall... I don't know why they don't put down the sand-papery stickers so that you can get some traction. Especially on the stairs.

I would definitely write, and I'd also ask why on earth you were charged! It should have been taken care of for you! That's just unbelievable to me.

There has got to be something other than slippery tile that they can use around the pools... ( I just don't know what )

I've seen alot of different materials around hot tubs/pool areas. Some like large rubber or plastic like tiles, easier for your feet, harder to slip on. Or something like how bath tub mats have the traction part. Someone could get really hurt by slipping and falling, and it sounds like an easy cheap thing to fix. Most cruiselines go really far to make sure everyone has a great time, why not take the time to put something down to make sure people don't fall?

I am sorry about your accident and glad you are ok. I do agree that perhaps a different type of flooring could be used around the pool and hot tub area.

I was concerned about another thing in your thread though. You mentioned your 6 year old son. I sure hope he wasnt the one in the hot tub!

Childrens bodies cannot regulate temp as well as adults and children can become seriously ill or die from sitting in hot tubs too long. I am glad you didnt have to use your insurance for anything more than your elbow. :(

I'd sue them. Having signs up is an admission of a hazard.

I'm suing the city and mother nature then!!! Because I hydroplaned a couple months ago during a storm, and I didn't see any signs warning me about it!! Although, I should know that it can happen :rolleyes: It's unfortunate that it happens, but it does... the areas around the pool are slick, proceed with caution, wear water shoes, crawl on all fours...

They tell you to be careful around the pool area... wood/tile and water make for slippery conditions... and they warn you to be careful. Just like a grocery store puts out signs when they have mopped the floor... if you aren't careful and you slip and fall, how is that not your own fault? Water on floors... it's not rocket science. True, you can slip even if you are careful, but it's pretty natural to have WATER around the pools and hot tubs... then again, people that immediately say "sue them"... that speaks volumes. For some, personal responsibility and common sense is a concept not yet grasped. Here is a newsflash, THEY FILL POOLS WITH WATER!!!! :eek: :eek:

Sounds like the OP doesn't want to sue... and has insurance, and should let the insurance take care of the bill.

Yes you must be responsable for your actions. If you take all available precautions and you fall then whose fault is it. The person who ownes the area with the hazard. Thats who. The op did nothing wrong. And was injured. Tough luck. NO. The property owner should provide a safe area to walk in.

I'd sue them. Having signs up is an admission of a hazard.

Now that's a ridiculous statement. So, would you rather they didn't put up any 'warning' signs?

Cruise ships aside ... Hospitals, hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. - ALL put those signs up. Anywhere there are people walking around 24 hours a day - those floor have to be kept clean, so there's no "off" time to clean them. The signs are used as a precaution/warning. Anybody with an ounce of common sense sees the signs and is immediately aware of a possible hazard. Geez.:rolleyes:

Didn't say I was suing. Just asked if I was wasting my time writing Carnival about this slippery area. I am not that type of person. I am not asking carnival for anything. Just don't want to see more people fall down on slippery tile.

I think it is great that you aren't planning on suing too. I was at the ER Sunday with a friend when a family came in. The little boy had fallen while running around in the laundromat, and cut his head. His grandma came running into the ER to see him and started screaming WE'RE GOING TO SUE THE LAUNDROMAT. Then decided that no matter how it happened they were going to get a large multi-million dollar settlement out of this because there should never be water on the floor in a laundromat. "Where would water come from??" :eek: AHHHHHH... Anyways, I'd say, write them a letter and warn them that there was a problem, and maybe they will fix it. And thank you for letting me vent!! :D

I slipped and fell on the Liberty in Dec. I was getting off the slide and went to the side the pool was on. Down the big stair (I was headed for the pool) and oops.... I fell flat on my bum. I used my hand to support me so my head didn't hit and when I di I messed up a finger. It swelled and hurt to the point I had to get a bucket of beer to stick my finger in. Notice the word "HAD":D So I drank my beers and I felt pretty good after that, LOL.

I did get some medical tape in Costa Maya and taped myself up good. Never went to the infirmary (my brother did and he paid BIG) so I survived.

But boy.... was I embaressed:o

Call me Grace!;)

I think it is great that you aren't planning on suing too. I was at the ER Sunday with a friend when a family came in. The little boy had fallen while running around in the laundromat, and cut his head. His grandma came running into the ER to see him and started screaming WE'RE GOING TO SUE THE LAUNDROMAT. Then decided that no matter how it happened they were going to get a large multi-million dollar settlement out of this because there should never be water on the floor in a laundromat. "Where would water come from??" :eek: AHHHHHH... Anyways, I'd say, write them a letter and warn them that there was a problem, and maybe they will fix it. And thank you for letting me vent!! :D

Sadly there are MORONS out there that are so sue happy, and so lazy in their lives that they are always looking for the windfall... sad but true. You see it everyday... always looking for their "payday"... then eventually they realize they aren't going to get one, so they put a finger in their chili... there should be an island somewhere for these idiots.

Sadly there are MORONS out there that are so sue happy, and so lazy in their lives that they are always looking for the windfall... sad but true. You see it everyday... always looking for their "payday"... then eventually they realize they aren't going to get one, so they put a finger in their chili... there should be an island somewhere for these idiots.

And the island shall be called TRUMP ISLAND....someone publishes that he's not a billionaire, so what does he do? Sues for $5 Bil. :rolleyes:

You have to take them to court. Because when they are going to loose some money then they change their ways. Suing for money is the only way to get satisfaction from a company. Once an injury is incured it cannot be taken away. If proven in court.The injured person still has to prove they were injured.The money does not just flow when you file a lawsuite.

You have to take them to court. Because when they are going to loose some money then they change their ways. Suing for money is the only way to get satisfaction from a company. Once an injury is incured it cannot be taken away. If proven in court.The injured person still has to prove they were injured.The money does not just flow when you file a lawsuite.

LOL, I see you've done this before :p

Try convincing a jury that there should not be WATER around a pool and hot tub... with wooden and tile flooring. Even after the cruiseline WARNS you the area will be slippery. Good luck!!

You have to take them to court. Because when they are going to loose some money then they change their ways. Suing for money is the only way to get satisfaction from a company.

Not true. The OP might be able to get Carnival to pay his medical expenses if he writes a letter explaining the problem. Or his insurance could step up and do what it's supposed to do. Then he should have "satisfaction," right? It's not always necesssary to SUE. It's attitudes like yours that causes all of US to pay. Do you think businesses don't recoup their losses in courts by hiking the prices up on us the consumers? They don't pay, WE DO!!!!

Fireofficer,

Its people like you that keep the lawyers rich, keep our homeowners/auto insurance premiums high, keep kids from school when there is 1" of snow, keep our prices higher so business's can pay for liability insurance, and keep my insurance broker rich, so he can pay for the new 55' yacht he just bought to go along with his huge house and his 2 jaguars. (not exagerated)

Negligence and wrongful injury deserves to be compensated for. But if you slip on a wet floor, and you have every reason to believe it will be wet........ its YOUR fault. Suck it up.

Hello.... He was holding onto the railing!! What else can the man do????

How is it his fault?

That's like saying that if you are driving and someone hits you from behind, it's your fault, because you were driving!

I know everyone has their own opinions... but sometimes I just don't get how people think.

No snow in South Fla. The OP did hold the hand rail. And still fell with his son. What else should he have done. Please answer that. If you can then this a moot point. I have never been party to a lawsuite. But just let your selves be injured by a defective product. How do you expect to get satisfaction?:p

I think the passenger was extremely lucky that his child wasn't seriously hurt. Every time I see children in the hot tub, it scares me. These are slippery areas and you have to be careful when getting in and out, never mind holding on to a small child at the same time. Any time there is water, there is a chance of slipping, no matter what the floor is made of. It's a hazard of daily life. Nonetheless, I think he should write a letter to the cruise line advising them of this incident. Hopefully, his insurance will cover the out-of-pocket expenses. As for the people advocating suing, these will be the same people who will be complain the loudest when the cruise ships close all hot tubs because of their insurance costs. I certainly am not adverse to suing people or companies when someone gets hurt due to somebody else's negligence. (I work in a law firm) However, this was just an accident that can happen anywhere. This is why we buy insurance. Just just my opinion.

Archived