Slipped in hot tub area!

travelingfool

How are you making the assumption that he was holding the rail??

After getting my son out of the hot tub we started walking down the stairs, him holding the rail on the left side and me on the right.

To me, that means he was on the right of his son... now, he could have been holding the rail, and perhaps will specify that, but as of now, that is only assumption. Holding the rail, would prevent you from actually falling... it won't prevent you from slipping ;) Unless you were walking/running at a speed that would cause you to lose your grip on the rail.

The hot tubs are just bacteria factories. Iwouldn't use them if you paid me. At the minium people should shower before getting into either one. But the only ones using the showers are the kids playing there. And the OP wrote he was holding the otheer rail. The compensation for this injury is the medical bill and a free cocktail.

And the OP wrote he was holding the otheer rail. The compensation for this injury is the medical bill and a free cocktail.

I'm with GC on this one...all the OP said was: "After getting my son out of the hot tub we started walking down the stairs, him holding the rail on the left side and me on the right. "

That could mean that he was holding a railing on the right side...but it doesn't say that. That would only be assuming that there was a railing to the right. It says that his son was holding a rail, he was to the right of his son...and assumably his son was holding on to his dad with his right hand (by that statement)...we really don't know what the OP was holding on to, if anything, other than his son.

LOL, I see you've done this before :p

Try convincing a jury that there should not be WATER around a pool and hot tub... with wooden and tile flooring. Even after the cruiseline WARNS you the area will be slippery. Good luck!!

The point is that this whole problem with slippery floors in the pool and solarium area is preventable. The cruiselines can easily use something for flooring that is not like ice when wet. Wood and tile are and shouldn't be used.

Why is it that what ever we do it is never OUR fault...its always someone else's fault. You were in an area which is known to be always wet and know to be extra slippery when wet. DAH! Were the stairs faulty?...were the stairs steeper than usual?....were the hand railings not solid enough? Where is the Cruise Line neglegent? You took a fall and you were not seriously hurt, chaulk it up to experience don't worry be happy!:rolleyes:

The point is that this whole problem with slippery floors in the pool and solarium area is preventable. The cruiselines can easily use something for flooring that is not like ice when wet. Wood and tile are and shouldn't be used.

Doesn't sound easy to rip up the wood and tile and replace. Perhaps the upscale lines use something besides wood and tile around the pools and hot tubs?? I don't know... I'm not sure concrete or brick would work on a ship?? What else would they use for the decks?? Our community pool used to have wood decking around the pool, people would slip if they weren't careful, but there were signs that warned people the wood would be slippery when wet... I don't think anyone thought about suing the community.

Didn't say I was suing. Just asked if I was wasting my time writing Carnival about this slippery area. I am not that type of person. I am not asking carnival for anything. Just don't want to see more people fall down on slippery tile.

Please do take the time to let them know. With many warnings about the same problem something might get done.

Sorry you were hurt.

Ps...we use a cork tile around the spa at home. It works well for preventing slipping and falling.

Please do take the time to let them know. With many warnings about the same problem something might get done.

Sorry you were hurt.

Ps...we use a cork tile around the spa at home. It works well for preventing slipping and falling.

Stir, that does work really well... but I think it would not hold up well with all the wear and tear/traffic. Perhaps with the newer ships coming out, they will come up with something that will work better...

All this reminds me of my personal experience that I had at a WI Dells resort...This was in an inside pool, in the kiddie section. I was with my daughter since she was very young and needed help going down a (kiddie) slide. I put her on my lap (completely within the rules). I knew, from watching others that this slide went pretty fast and people were scraping their butts/back of their thighs So, I wanted to try and stop myself before skidding my butt into the pool - only inches deep and very rough. (The bottom/edges of this kiddie pool is REALLY rough, probably to help with the slip factor...it is horrible on the bottom of your suits to if you sit on the edge, completely snagging the fabric of the suit.)

So...we go down the slide, I put my legs out to slow us down and stop before the bottom...well, that didn't work. I skidded anyway and completely tore up my legs. BLOOD!!! **well, that didn't work** Factor in the chlorine to the cuts and I wanted to cry. I handed my daughter off to a friend, hobbled over to the first aid booth (with a pool towel that someone gave me, trying to prevent from leaving a blood trail). I got there, they cleaned me up and bandaged me...Off I went. That was that. (With the exception of my friend and I each being scrapbookers, she pulled out her camera to document the injury!! LOL)

I never once considered taking it to the next level.

You have a couple factors here, I could complain about my legs looking like someone used a cheese grater on them or complain about the rough bottom when they are trying to prevent people from falling...What can you do? Either try and prevent slipping or try and prevent people getting hurt and wrecking fabric on the other side of the coin. It's kind of a lose/lose situation. People are getting hurt either way...Kind of par for the course.

Doesn't sound easy to rip up the wood and tile and replace. Perhaps the upscale lines use something besides wood and tile around the pools and hot tubs?? I don't know... I'm not sure concrete or brick would work on a ship?? What else would they use for the decks?? Our community pool used to have wood decking around the pool, people would slip if they weren't careful, but there were signs that warned people the wood would be slippery when wet... I don't think anyone thought about suing the community.

I can tell you that Sea Dream has teak (at least I think it is teak wood) wood decks around the pool and hot tub area. As I recall the steps into the hot tub abd pool do have those small non slip treads on them (the ones that are about 1 inch wide and stuck down.)

I fell TWICE on the Spirit. Both around the pool area. I was being careful. What irritated me the MOST, was that the only ones that said anything to me were other passengers!! The employees just looked at me, and then looked away. Like if they don't acknowledge you, you don't exist. Therefore you didn't fall. :rolleyes:

Caprcorn.... (took the page so long to come up, I can't remember your whole screen name:rolleyes: )

Sounds to me like there should not be a slide in that pool! Everyone was getting scraped up! and it was kiddie pool? That's just crazy to me. And a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I'm not the type of person to sue. But that just sounds like it's dangerous.

The OP said he wasn't thinking of sueing, he just wanted to bring this to Carnival's attention. I think he should.

It's such a frequent occurrence, that something should be done. I don't care if there are signs.... It's dangerous. And no, I don't mean for them to get rid of the pools... There has got to be something safer than tile or wood. And if it needs to be replaced often, then they should! They make enough money.

Did not read every reply but the OP did say he was out $100 from visit to infirmary. Carnival shoul have covered that charge. Flame away.

He also said he had insurance which would cover the $100 and save him the trouble of a lawsuit.

My family and I were on the Liberty sailing 1/15/06. We have cruised before and have always taken precautions when walking around the pool and hot tub areas. After getting my son out of the hot tub we started walking down the stairs, him holding the rail on the left side and me on the right. Next thing I know I am on my back bleeding from my elbow and my 6 year old over me asking me if I was ok. Embarrassed, I picked my self up and with my son in tow walked back to the room. The wife made me go to the infirmary to get checked out. 2 stiches and $100.00 later I am back in my room. Should I write Carnival about this hazard and hope they will fix it or should I just let it die? I am not out to sue anyone, but I saw several people slip in the same area I did and they have nothing on the tile to give you traction. I am sure this happens quite often. Am I wasting my time? I did have cruise insurance. First time I had purchased it. Just a side note we still had a great time on the cruise, bad weather and all. Ryan.

I am sure I am going to open up a can of worms: but what the heck was your 6 year old doing in the hot tub in the first place? Hot tubs are for adults. Of course I am sorry you had to have a stitch here and there, but the world didn't come to an end. as for contacting Carnival: drop it, contacting the insurance company with hopes of getting them to pick up the $100 bill I see nothing wrong with that. Next time I would make sure your kid is in the kids area and not the hot tub. Sorry if I am coming across as being harsh, but this is something that really bugs me. NMnita

I don't think the OP needs to contact Carnival. I'm sure the ship's doctor will have to fill out a report about the injury. And if there's a string of injuries in the same area, the company will eventually get around to finding a solution. Sometimes, though, just because one person slipped doesn't mean it's an ongoing problem.

I agree that children shouldn't be in the hot tubs on the cruise ships because that is their rule. But I just want to point out that the hot tubs that I've been in on the cruise ships aren't very hot. My pediatrician said that they shouldn't be in water over 100 degrees hot. (I have a hot tub at home and keep it at 100). So it's really not dangerous for the kid to be in there.

He did have insurance... but he shouldn't need to use it. Carnival should have just taken care of it...no questions asked.

I also want to mention that last year on the Valor, I nearly fainted in Lido dining room... I had no family near me... and I caught the eye of a server and waved her over. She was so caring and helpful... she sent for the doctor (even after I said that I thought I was fine... )she wouldn't let me get up, she gave me water and bread. Luckily my son came strolling through and I called to him to go and get Daddy... who then wheeled me back to the room where I slept the rest of the day. I must have had a touch of something... But anyway, my point is that from what I've encountered, the staff does care.

Man, some of you are harsh.

1. I don't see how you can be so sure it was the OP's fault. He claimed he was holding the railing (sure, you can come up with any tortured interpretation of the story to say that he may not have been holding the railing, but it seems obvious he was). Sometimes, you can slip even when being careful. I'm not saying it's Carnival's fault, but I don't see how you can say it's his fault, either. Not everything is black and white.

2. He specifically said he wasn't suing. (BTW, I agree that it would be a bad idea to sue over the incident). He simply asked if it was a good idea to write to Carnival to alert them of a potential problem. Why ridicule him over this?

You slipped and fell on the pool deck which now has to be washed and sterilzed so you get NOTHING! You lose! Good day sir!

Sincerley,

Bob Dickinson

Literally, lol. Thanks to you, I spit water all over my computer screen. :D

The hot tubs are just bacteria factories. Iwouldn't use them if you paid me. At the minium people should shower before getting into either one. But the only ones using the showers are the kids playing there. And the OP wrote he was holding the otheer rail. The compensation for this injury is the medical bill and a free cocktail.

You are right....I won't go in. We have one at home and they told us 6 people in a hot tub is like 150 in a regular swimming pool. Ugh! We sanitize every time we get out and you know a cruise ship isn't everytime someone gets out!

I can't believe some of the posters telling the OP that it was her fault because it was wet, thus it was slippery. Da! The point is that this is preventable by all cruiselines.

Yes it is preventable... why don't the cruiseline just remove the pools and spas... then nobody will slip from the water they are covered in coming out of the pools and spas. :rolleyes:

And I blame the Cruiselines for making me sea sick. They should give me free sea sickness patches. :rolleyes:

Where's that thread where the cruise lines are to blame for everything, and the passengers take no responsibility at all. Tired of the Whining.

It seems to me this is one of those issues that polarize posters here (which is surprising). On the one hand, you have posters who berate the people who complain and praise the cruiseline, no matter the situation. On the other hand, you have posters who say that you should sue the cruiseline if you get a sunburn. Kind of weird. Maybe we should have a sociological study on this board. ;)

Archived