Lanai Cabins - Entrance/Exit

The Tsar

We have booked a Lanai Stateroom on the MS Maasdam for an upcoming Alaskan Cruise.  This will be our first time in this Stateroom Category; always have been curious about this them.

Does the Sliding Door, which open directly on to the Promenade Deck, have lock(s), which can be opened from the outside or do you have to use the standard interior hallway door to gain entrance?

ditto to what kwb101 said.  it's a separate card.  don't lose it, either.  they will charge you $75 (last known amount) if you don't return it the day before disembarkation.

I had a lanai last summer on the veendam and most of the time i left my slider open just a tiny crack - you couldn't tell it was open if you were walking by or even standing nearby, and then I didn't have to worry about having the special card to open it.  the doors slide, but they are heavy so you really have to pull firmly to move it.

Doors are super heavy as scluvsrain said.  I could not open it at all, while my friend could barely open it.  I have a name tag holder, lanyard type, I use on cruises to store my key card.  It isn't the type where the card needs a hole punched in it.  I also had room for the white card, so I had it with me at all times, and I could keep up with it.  Yes, they will charge you if you lose it.

That said, we loved this cabin category, although that's the only time so far that we've stayed in one.  This was aboard Rotterdam April 2018.

Edited by sevenseasnomad

As stated, you get 2 white plastic proximity cards.  They are plain white with no printing on them indicating the cabin number.   The sliding door is very heavy due to the thickness of the glass.   The door is held closed by a magnetic lock.   From inside, you press a white button next to the door, and you have about 5 seconds to slide the door open.  It may take 2 hands to pull it open.   If you wait too long, you have to hit the button again.   From the outside, you just hold your prox card against the sensor and you have the same 5 seconds to slide the door open.   The sliding door prox card is totally different from your cabin key card, and you can't take the prox card home after your cruise like you can with the cabin key card.   The prox cards are not personalized, so you must leave it for the next guests.

Some people do not like the Lanai cabins because of the feeling that people passing by on the promenade deck can see into your cabin.   The door and window is coated with a reflective film.   In the daytime, it is impossible to see in.  Same for night.   I tested it once.  I switched on every light in the cabin, and then went outside.  I pressed my nose up against the door, and all I could see was the glow of the ceiling lights.  When DW walked around the room, I could see her blocking the lights as she moved by, but it was impossible to make out anything.   But, remember the promenade deck is a public deck, so it is brightly lit all through the night.  So, even if nobody can see in, you will probably still want to close your blackout drapes and hold them closed with clothes pins or men's pants hangers to keep out the light while you are sleeping.

You will have 2 lounge chairs outside your lanai sliding door, reserved for you.  If you see other passengers using your chairs, just open the door and point to the "Reserved for Lanai Cabin" sign above the chairs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

You will have 2 lounge chairs outside your lanai sliding door, reserved for you.  If you see other passengers using your chairs, just open the door and point to the "Reserved for Lanai Cabin" sign above the chairs.

Last May,  Maasdam had nice blue cloth sleeves with"Reserved" embroidered on them, that were placed over the top of the chair cushion. This trip, I haven't seen any, and the crummy reserved signs on the wall behind each chair might as well be invisible for all the prominence they have.

About opening the doors: not only are they very heavy, but they close quickly, so you'll have to move fast to not get squooshed.

Still, they're nice cabins, despite the run-up in price of late.

• Like 1