Backpack coolers

Seeleyhs17

Going to be cruising on carnival sunrise in a couple weeks for 10 days and have 4 people in our cabin. From my understanding we can bring 48 cans of soda on board? I have a backpack cooler that can hold that many but is a tad bit bigger then the 12x12 rule. Could I use the backpack cooler as a carry on to make it easier for transporting the drinks? 

When we traveled with our kids and brought cases of soda, we packed a luggage cart like this in our luggage and used it while boarding. Then put it back in the luggage when done. It weighs 4 pounds because we got the sturdier one knowing we had 5 cases.

Your cooler may just be a tad bit bigger, but that rule is so stuff will fit through the scanner. If yours doesn't fit, you have to leave it.

Edited by Davey Wavey

It will really depend on port security personnel. If the backpack cooler looks more like a standard backpack and is under the carry on bag measurements of 16"X24" then there is a good chance it could go through never being noticed that it is a cooler as well. Then again it might not and you will need to leave it in the terminal security office (or your car if you drove in) till after the cruise. It is a gamble.

Another option to the luggage cart or folding hand-truck, is to just use a rolling carry-on bag. Most port security personnel tend to look at each can, juice box, or juice pouch to verify that there is no tampering and the bigger the bag opens the easier it is to repack after they inspect. The bag (like you backpack) can serve then as an extra piece of luggage for souvenirs or other purchases.

On the Sunrise depending on your cabin you may have a dorm style fridge in there to store the drinks you bring aboard. Check Carnival.com Explore-> Our Ships-> Sunrise-> deck plans-> input your cabin number to see the room details and amenities for your specific cabin. If no fridge is offered you can request a large ice bucket (to be refilled twice a day) from your cabin steward.

You may not know this but if you don't want to lug 48 non-alcoholic beverages on board with you at your initial boarding each passenger at each port of call is entitled to restock following the same restrictions as embarkation day. 

The key to what makes a “cooler” is... is it lined? If your “backpack” has a waterproof liner, and they see it, it will be considered a cooler. And if is ANY larger than 12x12x12, it can be denied. You can read story after story on these boards of 12x12x13 coolers that are confiscated. Now the $64,000 question is, WILL it be confiscated? No one can say what WILL happen, only what CAN happen. As I often say, the only consistent thing about Carnival is its inconsistency...  😁

Bob

I used a small carry on roller suitcase and put my drinks and wine in it. Port Canaveral personnel never looked at anything.  I was then able to use the suitcase to bring home 12 bottles of rum that I could not get in the states.  A win for me both ways

So if I would put the cooler in my suit case bc it collapse to nothing. could I use it on board then? And could I take it off the ship and bring it back on at ports? Main reason for taking it would be to keep drinks and stuff cold for kids a one year old and 8 year old while at ports

20 minutes ago, Seeleyhs17 said:

So if I would put the cooler in my suit case bc it collapse to nothing. could I use it on board then? And could I take it off the ship and bring it back on at ports? Main reason for taking it would be to keep drinks and stuff cold for kids a one year old and 8 year old while at ports

You might be able to do that at one port, but on board security still reserves the right to confiscate the cooler because it is over the allowable size. Each time you reenter the ship you will go through another security scan and the bags will be x-rayed. Still a gamble. 

If worried about keeping drinks or formula cool for the kiddos then bring a cooler that is at or below the acceptable size noted on the restricted items list at the Carnival.com FAQs. There are plenty of easy to carry versions of insulated bags out here that are of an acceptable size that will still carry enough for a person's day in port, personally I use a messenger bag style one.

You may want to also know large brands like Coke and Pepsi products are readily available in most Caribbean ports. With the local stores often selling them at prices less than a USA convenience store would (but not as inexpensive as a grocery store 12 pack).

As for keeping "stuff" cold I'll guess you are talking about foods. Only factory sealed package foods are allowed off the ship at many ports and at select ports absolutely no food is allowed off, post a question in your individual ports to get firsthand experiences. As stated not all cabins on the Sunrise have a dorm fridge so if you need to bring baby food for the infant you need to pack ones that don't require refrigeration and require no prep beyond the container being dunked in a bowl of hot water. Even cabins with the dorm fridge, the temperature is for chilling beverages and rarely gets below 48 degrees. I have seen yogurt cups and milk cartons turn within 24 hours of being stored in them.

For ports, if you're really just looking for things for kids, a smaller cooler might be better.  You wouldn't want to rely on a cooler and have it taken and not have what your kids want to snack/drink the rest of the trip.  

For embarking, my suspicion is if it looks more like a backpack, you're probably fine, if it looks more like a cooler, it's more questionable.  It obviously depends on the security person, but again- getting it denied, and having to figure out what to do with 48 sodas plus all your kid stuff doesn't sound like a great start to a vacation.

I have no idea how strict port security/ship security is about these things though.  so take this all with a huge grain of salt. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. So I'm thinking about just leaving cooker at home and using the diaper bag. But am I going to run into the same problem with that bc it is a backpack type diaper bag and has one pocket that insulated for bottles? 

9 hours ago, Seeleyhs17 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. So I'm thinking about just leaving cooker at home and using the diaper bag. But am I going to run into the same problem with that bc it is a backpack type diaper bag and has one pocket that insulated for bottles? 

I don’t have kids so I don’t know for sure but aren’t most diaper bags going to have an insulated bottle pocket? They may not consider that a cooler if it’s a standard diaper bag feature. Could always depend on security but I think you have a way better argument if it’s a diaper bag. 

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, Seeleyhs17 said:

I would think so.