Crossing the International Date Line

21 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The tradition of having a ceremony to mark crossing the Equator, goes back several hundred years. On James Cook's first circumnavigation voyage, they marked the event by putting everyone who hadn't previously crossed the Equator over the side of the ship tied to a chair, then presumably hauled back on board. Joseph Banks paid a 'ransom' of grog to have himself, his staff and his dogs and cats let off from taking part.

Not surprising being a botanist, wouldn't want to get his petals wet.

My father had some navy photos of equator crossings in WWII. They seemed to enjoy it, as long as no Japanese or Germans were too close.

Will have to ask Mum where the photos are. She, with my brother and sister in Perth, is still sorting his stuff.

We crossed the equator from Singapore & also from Hawaii & they had ceremonies each time onboard, and our certificates appeared in the cabin. I don't recall anything special for crossing the dateline, well except losing the day we gained when flying over in the first place 😉

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The best 'Crossing the International Dateline' commemoration we had was on a P&O ship back in the days when P&O Aust did long cruises. From memory, the CD was Zoltina J. They didn't have a ceremony on the deck like crossing the Equator, but there was a special 'Pacific Daily' (was that the correct name?) for the 'Day that Never Was'. There were special activities: a 'Nude' event (can't remember what) on Deck 13. Later we heard that some people turned up looking for deck 13. There was absailing from the funnel, water-skiing behind the ship. etc. etc. All in good fun.

That sounds great - a twist on April fools day, sending the apprentice painter for stripey paint etc.

Hey I wouldn't put it past RCCL to plan the Meet & Mingle for the 'lost' day.

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The tradition of having a ceremony to mark crossing the Equator, goes back several hundred years. On James Cook's first circumnavigation voyage, they marked the event by putting everyone who hadn't previously crossed the Equator over the side of the ship tied to a chair, then presumably hauled back on board. Joseph Banks paid a 'ransom' of grog to have himself, his staff and his dogs and cats let off from taking part.

And this is why I love this forum!🙄

17 minutes ago, banzaii said:

That sounds great - a twist on April fools day, sending the apprentice painter for stripey paint etc.

Scheduled for 2am no doubt.

5 hours ago, banzaii said:

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Scheduled for 2am no doubt.

Fliers ciculated 2 days later!

I remember one RCCL cruise they forgot to change the little mat in the elevator.  I thought it was Monday 2 days running until I caught the next lift.

Have to say, if you really have to have consecutive Mondays, its better on a cruise! 😉

20 hours ago, banzaii said:

I remember one RCCL cruise they forgot to change the little mat in the elevator.  I thought it was Monday 2 days running until I caught the next lift.

Have to say, if you really have to have consecutive Mondays, its better on a cruise! 😉

That wouldn't be too bad I suppose.