Excursion in Ketchikan WITHOUT flying?

sbt518

Can anyone recommend something to do in Ketchikan that does not involve a float plane or helicopter? My husband is afraid of flying and has Rx medication to take when flying, so he’ll get to and from the cruise but a flight seeing tour would be wasted on him because he’d sleep through the whole thing!

We aren’t interested in the lumberjack show. We really want to see nature, animals if we can. We would eat crab, but not sure if we want that to be the focus of our tour because, really we can get good seafood at home.

Has anyone done a Misty Fjords boat tour? Or are there other boat tours from Ketchikan? I’m not finding much on TripAdvisor when I search.

Or any other suggestions for how to spend our day in Ketchikan? Thanks!

We are taking our cruise May 2020 so I'm still in the planning phase for excursions. I'm leaning towards a company called ShoreTrips, which was recommended to me. They have several tours that don't include flying. My husband and I definitely want to see Totem Poles and learn about the culture and history, so we are leaning towards one of those tours.

I have done half flight/half Misty Fjords boat trip. I was not thrilled with the flight and I have to say only a part of the boat trip was "unique". Most of the boat ride tour was similar to what you see from the ship. It was relaxing though I am not sure if I would recommend it.

I have also done a boat ride to see totem poles and a lighthouse. It has been called a variety of things including totem poles, lighthouse and eagles or Guard Lighthouse tour (I think). Something similar. I have to say I love boat rides and this was "just ok". 

Ketchikan is my least favorite port. I have done many excursions there and none stand out. I consider this a relaxing day. Maybe for a first visit - go to Totem Bight park and then walk to Creek street from the ship.

The "deadliest catch" excursion in Ketchikan does get really good reviews. I have not done it.

We're going on the Grand Princess next month.  I've booked an excursion thru the ship that goes to the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary (other reviewers have said they've seen bears).  It also goes to another area that I think is adjacent that has a sawmill, totem poles and a raptor center.  I'm hoping for good weather that day and really hoping for bears.  There is a video on You tube. 

Ketchikan consistently seems to be the shortest port, but IMO the best shopping.   I did the Deadliest Catch tour and it was awesome, with the most awesome part being the eagles.  

Now I'm researching if it's worth it to rent a car for a hundred bucks.

2 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

Now I'm researching if it's worth it to rent a car for a hundred bucks.

We have rented a car several times and it really is worth it. There is so much beauty in Ketchikan outside of town. It’s basically one road either direction and very easy to drive. You can drive to Herring Cove where we have seen bears a number of times, out to the old cannery, beaches both directions that offer lovely picnic spots, Ward Lake for an easy  hike, Totem Bight Park  - so many options! Here is a link to a map which shows some of the highlights on the road outside town. 

https://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/revillagigedo_map.pdf

This is good.   Do you know if a more detailed narrated map of a Ketchikan drive exists somewhere (kind of like Murray's guide)?   

Do you know if there's parking near Tongass (shopping), so we could load up on...well...crap...and just lug it to the car?   Thanks!

13 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

This is good.   Do you know if a more detailed narrated map of a Ketchikan drive exists somewhere (kind of like Murray's guide)?   

Do you know if there's parking near Tongass (shopping), so we could load up on...well...crap...and just lug it to the car?   Thanks!

I’m not familiar with a narrated map but I’m sure their are probably guidebooks about the area you can find. I did most of my research on things to visit outside of town online. 

And there is is parking around town where you can park the car while you are shopping if you like. 

Is the Ketchikan Walmart any good for the kinds of things an out-of-town cruiser might like?   I kind of thought of that for grabbing food if the others in my car are just dead-set against taking any food off the ship.

We haven’t been in the Walmart there so I am not sure what they sell - I don’t think I would shop there for gifts or souvenirs when there are so many other nice places. Tongass Trading has tons of stuff at great prices. 

In terms of food, we like to stop at the Safeway there. They have a deli where we get sandwiches and we get chips, soft drinks, snacks, fruit for a picnic lunch. I have a soft sided cooler bag we carry along to keep food and drinks cool when we are our exploring. 

We did the Bearing Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour on the Aleutian Ballad (formerly on Discovery Channel's Deadliest Catch). It was super fun, informative, educational, and fun for all ages. We were a group of 6 people total, between 6 years old and 70ish.

My best advice is to go to your ship site and see what tours are offered in Ketchikan.  That will give you an idea of all the tours and things to do there.  I agree with others that this is the best port for just walking around and shopping.  Creek Street is very interesting.  The Lumberjack Show is right at the end of the pier.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ketchikan is the only port I don’t have any plans for yet. We are only in port for 6 hours. Great suggestions here. Definitely want photos along creek street, want to see totem poles, but also want to do hiking. Is all of that reasonable within 6 hours?

42 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

Ketchikan is the only port I don’t have any plans for yet. We are only in port for 6 hours. Great suggestions here. Definitely want photos along creek street, want to see totem poles, but also want to do hiking. Is all of that reasonable within 6 hours?

Yes, but you will need to be ready to get off the ship right away. My advice would be rent a car - get right off the ship and drive out to Ward Lake and do the loop hike there - very manageable in a couple of hours including drive time. On your way back to town you can stop at Totem Bight Park and see lots of totem poles there - an hour should suffice. Then end your day in Ketchikan exploring Creek Street - take the Funicular up to the top at Cape Fox Lodge and see more totems there and get a little more hiking in coming back down via Married Man's Trail. That stop would take about another hour. You will be moving all day in order to pack it in - but I speak from experience as we have done it. Just be sure to end your day in Ketchikan so you can be near the ship and ready to get back on board by your deadline. And don't waste time on a long sit down lunch anywhere - grab some sandwiches or snacks at the market and save your appetite for when you reboard the ship so you are making the most of your time ashore. And most of all - have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks to all who talked about how much they loved that Deadliest Catch excursion. I had heard a lot about it before, and booked it already. We had friends who went on an Alaska cruise a year or 2 ago, and they said the only excursion they did was whale watching, but what they should have done because everyone loved it so much was go on the Deadliest Catch excursion.

• Like 1

We booked a rainforest hike and bear watch for Ketchikan.  It’s a small group, no more than 14 people.  We go in mid August so hopefully we’ll see bears but if not, the rainforest should be interesting. 

• Like 1

My favorite excursion in Ketchikan was snorkeling. I booked it on our first cruise to Alaska because our time in port was so short. We still had time afterward to walk over to Creek Street.