Bottled water on Princess

Borman51

Thanks to CC, we are looking at ordering bottled water before our 10 day Panama cruise out of Fll for convenience.  Just a couple of questions.  

In trying to decide how many bottles we will need ( I know it will be hot and humid on shore excursions), does Princess offer a free bottle as you disembark for excursions or do they charge for one?  We have cruised on other lines and some charge, others don’t

Also, we lived in Florida in the 80s and found we needed to be careful where water was bottled to avoid the sulfur taste of some Florida water.  Has anyone bought the water on Princess and noticed a slight taste of sulfur ( I’m wondering if Princess sources their bottled water from the port of origin).

No free bottled water as you exit ship.  Some excursions provide a beverage but I never count on it and always bring along a bottle.  Love the water package, we usually order two for a 7-10 day cruise.  I’ve never had a bad tasting water either 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal
  • Like 1

You may want to consider bringing your own refillable bottle and use the tap water which is excellent.  You can get ice from your room steward or the buffet.  If you have already elected not to do this, then here are some answers:

• Princess charges for all bottled water - no freebies unless you have the premium beverage package.  Just curious if you have seen  free bottled water on any of the other "mass market" lines, or only the upscale ones?
  • The brand will vary based on location and whatever brand offers the best deal to Princess. 
  • See the thread below for other thoughts.  Several recent cruisers of the Caribbean Princess mentioned the current brand on that ship.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1

Last year I ordered 2 packs (24) for an 11 day cruise and it was more than we needed.  My husband does not drink as much water-he likes juices, gatorade and soda-so it was mostly just me.  We were given water on some tours that we brought back.  This year I am ordering 2 for an 18 day cruise and think it should be just right as some of our tours are offering water again.  I believe the brand was Niagra on one cruise and Crystal Geyser on another.  No suphur taste at all.  Enjoy your cruise.

I will be on a 21 day full canal transit in September.  As I am a huge water drinker -- ordered five cases -- which is approximately three per day and knowing that weather will probably be hot and humid.

How many glasses of water do you each drink per day??  I would base the purchasing of water on your daily water consumption.

While we don’t drink bottled water in our normal (non-cruising) life, we do order 2 packages for 10 day southern Caribbean cruise.  The amount works well for us as I take daily meds requiring big water intake, and routinely drink more water than DH.  Love the water package - great value and eliminates hassle factor of bring it onboard.

2 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

You may want to consider bringing your own refillable bottle and use the tap water which is excellent.  You can get ice from your room steward or the buffet.  If you have already elected not to do this, then here are some answers:

• Princess charges for all bottled water - no freebies unless you have the premium beverage package.  Just curious if you have seen  free bottled water on any of the other "mass market" lines, or only the upscale ones?
  • The brand will vary based on location and whatever brand offers the best deal to Princess. 
  • See the thread below for other thoughts.  Several recent cruisers of the Caribbean Princess mentioned the current brand on that ship.

Thanks for the information.  I guess the cruise I’m remembering with the free water was Oceania.

we bought a 12 pack for the 3 of us and it was too much (7 day cruise). So, next time we split the 12 pack with my parents (also a 7 day cruise). This time I already ordered a 12 pack and will be splitting it with my parents as well.

We also bring refillable bottles with us, especially on non-Princess cruises which don't offer such great price on a 12 pack of bottled water.

I ordered 12 for the two of us for 11-night cruise.  We refill bottles with ship's water.  Like to have the bottles to carry around ship and off ship.  Don't like to have to bring bottles with me.  I know - we should get converted over to refillables.  Anyway, my point is a minimum number of bottled water works fine for us as the ship's water is also very good.

16 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I ordered 12 for the two of us for 11-night cruise.  We refill bottles with ship's water.  Like to have the bottles to carry around ship and off ship.  Don't like to have to bring bottles with me.  I know - we should get converted over to refillables.  Anyway, my point is a minimum number of bottled water works fine for us as the ship's water is also very good.

Just buy one bottle.  Then refill it on the ship.

DON

• Like 1

Just now, steelers36 said:

We each like to have our own.  And then I will invariably leave one somewhere. 

Simple solution.  Buy 2 bottles of water on the ship and refill them.  Or else bring several empty bottles w you in your luggage.

DON

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

Simple solution.  Buy 2 bottles of water on the ship and refill them.  Or else bring several empty bottles w you in your luggage.

DON

Those two cost almost as much as the pre-cruise pkg.  Anyway, I do fly with an empty bottle.  Appreciate the ideas, but I was just trying to share that we don't go overboard buying cases of water to last the cruise.  If I could, I would probably just buy six.  I am fine with our system.

6 hours ago, Safety Squirrel said:

I will be on a 21 day full canal transit in September.  As I am a huge water drinker -- ordered five cases -- which is approximately three per day and knowing that weather will probably be hot and humid.

How many glasses of water do you each drink per day??  I would base the purchasing of water on your daily water consumption.

DH loves to drink water, me not so much.  I’m just looking at having one or two apiece for shore excursions since it will be hot and humid in Panama, etc.

On Princess, no problem with bringing all the soda and water you want to on board. No unpleasant tastes from the ships "bottled water". 

Cabin service or elsewhere on the ship, two dollars a bottle unless you pre-order. For pre-cruise orders only, you can order a 12 bottle (500 ml- per bottle) case or more  for $7.08 a case. If you don't pre-order through your Cruise Personalizer or find that you needed more than a case, you can get it from cabin service but it is gong to cost you $2.00 per bottle. Found that one out the hard way.

With respect to full suites and water, what happened on our last Princess cruise, for a month, we decided to preorder two 12 bottle cases. Got on board, found the two cases okay but after a few days our room steward had us awash in water. What I neglected to read, was that our cabin received up to three free bottles a day. You see, we had my wife's sister with us so we got our first full suite ever. All the free water was part of the package. Good on our room steward though, he had them credit us for the cases.