Chance or no chance?

SALAD MUNCHER

Hi I have just been waitlisted for a single ov cabin on the QV in August. I know these seem to be like gold dust and I can but hope.

Has anyone else been lucky in a similar scenario? What do you think my chances are.......zero or can I be a little optimistic?

August is within final payment, so being waitlisted now suggests that everyone in a single cabin has made their payment and intends to go. I'd guess that you'd clear the waitlist only if someone booked in one is moved to a balcony stateroom as an upgrade, or has to cancel

You should also keep track of pricing for 2-person OV and balcony staterooms booked single occupancy (add 75% to the per-person dual-occupancy price). Prices can drop significantly in the final 3 months before boarding and may be significantly below what you were willing to pay for an OV Single. What's the itinerary you're hoping to book?

Edited by Underwatr

Hi, 

For what it's worth, I was upgraded to an ocean view single stateroom on the QM2 on two different cruises. I had booked an inside double stateroom for both cruises. In 2016, I learned of the upgrade a few weeks prior to the cruise. In 2017, I learned of the upgrade at the pier. As noted above, there is a possibility that some of the people who currently are booked in the single staterooms may be upgraded. This would make some of the single staterooms available. Of course, the likelihood depends on whether the ship is full.

Chuck

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Underwatr said:

August is within final payment, so being waitlisted now suggests that everyone in a single cabin has made their payment and intends to go. I'd guess that you'd clear the waitlist only if someone booked in one is moved to a balcony stateroom as an upgrade, or has to cancel

You should also keep track of pricing for 2-person OV and balcony staterooms booked single occupancy (add 75% to the per-person dual-occupancy price). Prices can drop significantly in the final 3 months before boarding and may be significantly below what you were willing to pay for an OV Single. What's the itinerary you're hoping to book?

I am looking to do the around UK cruise. It is the first time I am cruising alone so want to do it in familiar areas. I am a diamond level Cunarder so have good experience of the ships. These two factors combined gave me the courage to try a solo trip! Do you (or anyone else reading this) know if you are waitlisted for a particular cabin/grade you have any chance of being offered a different type of cabin/grade if they are not fully booked and looking to fill the ship?

I'm seeing at least 8 double-occupancy OVs on Deck 4, which I think is the most the booking site I checked would show me. Single occupancy, the current fare would be around $3500-4000. I don't know how that compares to the single OV fares.

Edited by Underwatr

14 hours ago, Underwatr said:

I'm seeing at least 8 double-occupancy OVs on Deck 4, which I think is the most the booking site I checked would show me. Single occupancy, the current fare would be around $3500-4000. I don't know how that compares to the single OV fares.

Thanks for that info Underwatr! The current price in the UK for a double occupancy obstructed OV is (single fare) £2396 equivalent to US $3037. I do not know what the price will be for a solo fare, I did ask the Cunard CS rep and she didn't know, she just said it would be lower than the double occupancy! For two people in the same OV cabin the current price per person is £1399 ($1773) - so a further almost £1000 ($1268)  a singleton. I cannot do a price comparison yet due to the unpublished single cabin fares, but I will consider a double cabin if in a week or two I have not heard regarding a single.

Just in case this helps any, here are the solo Oceanview fares I'm seeing for next year's "British Isles, 12 Nights (V018), 7 Jun - 19 Jun 2020" voyage on Queen Victoria as found on the Cunard UK website. This might help give some general idea of how the Single Oceanview fares compare with the solo fares for the other Oceanview cabins.

Single Oceanview = £3,159

Oceanview (obstructed view) = £3,306 for single occupancy

Oceanview = £3,358 for single occupancy

There is currently only one Single Oceanview cabin available on this voyage which is still a year out. Goes to show how fast those sell out.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 8:27 AM, SALAD MUNCHER said:

Thanks for that info Underwatr! The current price in the UK for a double occupancy obstructed OV is (single fare) £2396 equivalent to US $3037. I do not know what the price will be for a solo fare, I did ask the Cunard CS rep and she didn't know, she just said it would be lower than the double occupancy! For two people in the same OV cabin the current price per person is £1399 ($1773) - so a further almost £1000 ($1268)  a singleton. I cannot do a price comparison yet due to the unpublished single cabin fares, but I will consider a double cabin if in a week or two I have not heard regarding a single.

Just for info, I am still on the waitlist, what position I am on the list is unknown. I decided to check once more the price of a normal cabin for single use (Ob Outside) and it has gone up this week by £400, and has not changed since Saturday! Therefore decided to wait a little while longer just in case it does drop back again.....fingers crossed!

On 6/6/2019 at 6:31 AM, Underwatr said:

Add 75% to the per-person-double-occupancy fare to get the solo fare (For Princes and Queens Grill, double the fare). I don't know whether you pay taxes & fees for one person or two, though.

Taxes and fees for just one person.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2019 at 5:31 AM, Underwatr said:

Add 75% to the per-person-double-occupancy fare to get the solo fare (For Princes and Queens Grill, double the fare). I don't know whether you pay taxes & fees for one person or two, though.

I have booked Q suites as a solo three times now. You pay double the fare, but only single taxes fees, and port expenses. 

• Thanks 1