Cuba cruise changed to Mexico ports, help making plans

scmo44

Hi, our cruise to Key West, Havana and Grand Cayman now is a cruise to Key West, Costa Maya and Cozumel.  We have 10 people in our group.  We have not researched the two Mexico ports and are looking for recommendations.  None of us have been to these two ports.  TIA!  Shelly

3 minutes ago, scmo44 said:

Hi, our cruise to Key West, Havana and Grand Cayman now is a cruise to Key West, Costa Maya and Cozumel.  We have 10 people in our group.  We have not researched the two Mexico ports and are looking for recommendations.  None of us have been to these two ports.  TIA!  Shelly

Can you give an idea of ages and interests to narrow it down?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scmo44 said:

Costa Maya:  See if you can still get into Maya Chan. It’s a beach resort....all you can eat and drink. They’ll pick you up and drop you back at the ship. All ages...we had four generations in our group. 

Cozumel:  We’ve been there so many times that I say we are Cozumeled out. But I haven’t had a bad time there yet. 

Since you’re all adults, a trip to Mexico Park and its tequila tastings would be fun. We did that the last time we were in Cozumel, last year. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, scmo44 said:

The port of call forums can be helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/456-caribbean/

• Like 3

We always go to Paradise Beach Club in Cozumel for the beach (which is average) and a huge beautiful pool. Food is good, drinks are good. It’s a $15 taxi ride each way for the car load, $3 entry fee and they ask you spend $10 on food and drinks. There’s tons of palm trees to sit under if you so choose. There are some water toys but that’s an extra charge. Waiters Come to you, run a tab, and you pay when you are ready to leave. It takes about 10 minutes to get there. Google Paradise Beach Club to see images. 

• Like 1

I know there are those that will disagree, but if you decide to take the ferry to the mainland from Cozumel I'd stick with a ship sponsored tour.  The ferry could easily run late and possibly make you miss the ship.  If it is a ship's tour they would more likely wait for you to return.

• Like 2

In Costa Maya, go to a resort for a day as already suggested, or take the shuttle to Marahuel, a small village 10 minutes south of the port.  You can pick a spot on the beach where you can be served food or drinks as you wish, have a massage, or just amble about.  Many cruisers don't leave the shops & restaurants in the immediate port area, but I like taking this little jaunt down the road.

In Coz, you can go to any beach club, like Paradise, Mr Sanchos, Playa Mia or Nachi Cocum, google each to get a flavor of what they offer.  I prefer Nachi to relax at.  A taxi can take you there, no problem.  You can also go shopping in the town of San Miguel, I would recommend walking a block or two inland to get away from the most touristy spots.  Some decent restaurants as well if you get away from the tourist trap chains.

Excellent suggestion was to scan the port of call threads here on CC!!!

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

OP: I echo the recommendation to consult the Ports of Call forums here on CC.

But since others have given substantive replies, I will add that if you'd like to see Mayan Ruins from Cozumel, you can take a tour to Tulum.  It's a long day, involving a ferry to the mainland and a bus to the ruins, so I'd do it by a ship's tour.   We thought it was well worth it.  The ruins are interesting (note that you can't walk on the ruins in Mexico), and they are the only Mayan ruins situated along the water, so the setting itself is also beautiful.

enhance

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

• Like 2

We've been to Playa Mia on Cozumel three or four times.  The only time we didn't enjoy it was when there was a Disney Ship in port.  It seemed like all the families with small children went there.  Not that I don't like children.  Just not TOO many of them.

• Like 1