Signing up for next cruise onboard (using a TA)

zitsky

If you normally use a TA but you want to buy another cruise on board... how does that work?  It would be a good idea to know TA prices in advance to compare with Viking.  Can you pay onboard then have it managed by your TA?

Edited by zitsky

Yes, sign up onboard. Viking encouraged us to xfer to a TA.  Same prices.  TA offers on board credit and personal service. Advises on trip insurance.  Can assist with flights and especially if you want to do pre or post cruise stays on your own at half Viking prices.
Signing up onboard you defer payment until 6 months before sailing and can change your mind on which cruise.  I did.

Edited by philw1776

Just repeating what the wise ones have already said- our TA tells us to book on board as the pricing, onboard credits for current cruise, and other discounts are usually a really good deal. We give the Viking person our TA’s name, but it usually pops up when our information in the Viking system is accessed. Our TA receives the info as soon as we book, but I’m usually texting her/emailing while talking with Viking person in order to reassure myself that we are getting a good deal. I also take a list of possible future cruises with me whenever we are getting on our next cruise in order to “be prepared” for a discussion with the onboard booking agent.

Maybe I will get estimate from TA for cruise #2 before we take cruise #1, so I have that comparison.  So when they talk to me about rebooking, I know if it's a good deal. 

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Maybe I will get estimate from TA for cruise #2 before we take cruise #1, so I have that comparison.  So when they talk to me about rebooking, I know if it's a good deal. 

1. Get the quote in the month that you sail because deals change each month. The cruise fare and air fare will be the same regardless where you book. Viking controls pricing of its product. What is important from your TA are the perks they offering. 

2. You should be able to find out what the on-board perks are before you leave. Someone here should be able report. These perks are in addition to what your TA offers. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2019 at 6:42 AM, Krisval said:

Just repeating what the wise ones have already said- our TA tells us to book on board as the pricing, onboard credits for current cruise, and other discounts are usually a really good deal. We give the Viking person our TA’s name, but it usually pops up when our information in the Viking system is accessed. Our TA receives the info as soon as we book, but I’m usually texting her/emailing while talking with Viking person in order to reassure myself that we are getting a good deal. I also take a list of possible future cruises with me whenever we are getting on our next cruise in order to “be prepared” for a discussion with the onboard booking agent.

Agreed!   We always talk with the Cruise Consultant on board (by making an appointment).  Just to see what options there are - as if you find one that fits, the deals are ususually quite good.   You can definitely book a future cruise and then have it "transferred" over to your travel agent if you want.  They have a list of all the major agents they work with and it will come up automatically with all the relevant information.

We did this when we were on the Viking Sea-Caribbean cruise.  The Consultant was so good!  We wound up booking a couple cruises.  She even ordered us up some wine while we sat there and discussed.  (It was cocktail time!).  We even got to pick our rooms.  I would go running off to different floors to check the rooms to see if they were OK (Since rooms on the Sea are the same layout as on the other Viking ships).  It was quite a good experience.

The real kicker was:

-Not having to pay final amount until 6 months before the cruise!

-having the ability to make changes up to 4 months from the start of the cruise (so getting a placeholder is a benefit)

-getting immediate shipboard credits on your current cruise.

Seemed like a no-brainer to us.

Understand that there are special sales from time to time (like the current Explorers sale) so need to keep that in mind.  We were under the Jan/Feb Viking sale that was going on.