Emerald Princess Panama Canal

sk8terchick

Hello 😎

Planning Panama cruise on Emerald Princess New Locks.

We usually pick Aloha forward deck fully covered balcony.

Cruise on the Grand Princess a lot out of SF.

Caribe deck balcony for this cruise is same price 1/2 covered but larger same area fwd.

For the canal is it better view to be in lower deck 10 vs deck 12?

Looking forward to this trip 2nd time for me but has been 20yrs 1st time for hubby😀

Thank you

Been through the locks 5 times, including once in the new locks. It's better to view the locks from the upper open decks where you can walk around to both sides to the forward bow positions as well as the aft viewing spots. Stay in your cabin and you will miss half the views.

Cabin wise we normally choose the larger half covered Caribe deck balconies, but not for the reason of viewing the canal/

The Caribe Deck balconies are SO much bigger than Aloha and Baja Decks.  If you really like shade, then maybe they aren't for you but I'd choose the Caribe Deck ANY time over the other decks.  Usually the only ones that book Aloha & Baja are those that want full balcony coverage or are newbies.

We just did the new locks on the Emerald in April and viewed the transit from the very  front of the ship on Deck 8. They opened this area about 1 hr before the transit starts. Arrive early -- becomes very crowded - hold your ground. Good place to see both sides of the locks and wave to the photo crew on shore making a video.  

• Like 3

Go for the larger balcony.  While going through the locks you will not be on your balcony for any length of time, trust me.  I was going from the front of the ship to deck 7 promenade, to aft to experience the locks from all different vantage points.  You really won't want to just stay on your balcony unless you have mobility concerns.

Pooh

On 6/10/2019 at 8:38 AM, sk8terchick said:

Looking forward to this trip 2nd time for me but has been 20yrs 1st time for hubby😀

If it's been 20 years for you then this will actually be a "first time" for both of you. We haven't sailed the new locks yet but they obviously won't be the same as cruising the old locks.

Are you doing the partial or full transit? If you are on a full transit, you will have lots of time to move around the ship between sets of locks, as you go through Gantun lake and the Culebra cut. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MitzyG said:

Would the Sanctuary have a good view of the locks?   I do not want to fight crowds for a view.   

Yes, but probably a special high price for that day.

There are good views on all the upper decks as well as the promenade on deck 7 and also on deck 8 all the way at the bow. It takes a few hours to get through. People walk all around the ship for different views.

• Like 1

As it's usually quite hot and humid, you probably don't want to spend the entire time out on deck, especially uncovered ones.  Plaza deck offers full overhead coverage plus one can duck inside easily to cool off as necessary.  It takes some time to transit the canal plus ships usually spend some time in Gatun Lake as pax can take excursions from there and meet up with the ship later.  We've done the full transit twice (one in each direction) and a partial from FLL twice.  But all those cruises were before the new lock(s) so haven't experienced that one yet.  I always love to watch the "mules" [look like little train engines] do their thing helping to pull the ship along.  It's a "stair-step" operation (3 levels/locks, I think) to get up to Gatun Lake from the Caribbean Sea and down towards the Pacific (2 levels/locks, I think) if you're doing a full transit, east to west.

9 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

As it's usually quite hot and humid, you probably don't want to spend the entire time out on deck, especially uncovered ones.  

Can I ask you how long this process takes?  How long did you spend outside vs inside?

I'm a bit confused because when I went to Alaska, everyone said "Oh, you want to be on the upper deck and move around".    Somehow, I misunderstood and thought that the ship would find a spot then "rotate" (like a 360 degree restaurant).   Now, I admit, the ship went to the glacier.  It did park.   But it was more like it parked so that one side of the ship could see - wait wait, then it turned and the other side could see - wait wait vs a constant motion.      I'm not "disappointed"...it just wasn't what I had expected.   So, once I had seen that glacier, I didn't feel the need to run to the other side after the turn and watch it some more.   I stood out there in the cold wind and I did move around because I was sure I was missing something.  But never found it.   I saw some FABULOUS glacier, then I ran inside.    I then went back to my room because my toes were cold and found that the balcony view was pretty fabulous and didn't have the crowds.

I can see that with the canal, it's not like the ship can rotate  :)   But I get the feeling you're not standing there looking for 8 hrs at a time.   You look, it's slow so you poke back in 1/2hr-1 hr, look again for another 10 mins.  And so forth - is that the way it is?    I thought the Sanctuary would have "essentials of life" - shade, seating, bathroom, drinks.   And after I "take a break", I can be somewhat reasonably assured that I can get a decent spot again.    Any thoughts??

7 hours ago, MitzyG said:

Can I ask you how long this process takes?  How long did you spend outside vs inside?

From the Atlantic the ship is in the approach channel around 5am. It enters the first locks around 6am. The transit into Gatun Lake takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If you are on a full transit the ship remains in Gatun Lake until it receives clearance to proceed through the Culebra Cut (continental divide) to the Pacific locks. Transit of the Pacific locks also takes around the same time. The Pacific to the Atlantic transit is similar, but I don't remember the timing. I do remember it being very hot and humid.

Partial transit from FLL is around the same timing to Gatun Lake. The ship then sits in the lake until it receives the go ahead to exit back through the locks. The ship then docks at Cristobal or Colon.

The sun can be very hot especially if you make the transit in spring or fall. In winter it isn't as hot. Early in the morning the transit is just after daybreak, set your alarm.  We have done this trip 5 times. We usually stay outside and move around the ship while the ship is in the locks. Once the ship is in Gatun Lake it's time for shade and a cold drink. There are interesting views when the ship transits the continental divide.

Just wanted to add to skynight's good response, that it's always hot down around the Panama Canal as it's fairly close to the equator.  Hot and humid!  I always like to watch the ship go through each lock and we never book a balcony so I have to be outside to do that.  Just have to stay out of the direct sun, is possible!  Wear sunscreen, a hat, long sleeves if you can stand them.  Drink lots of fluids!  I hate humidity, but it was worth "doing" the canal several times (once, each way) plus a partial.