Diapers

ktcishot

We always packed them loose, in bunches, across multiple suitcases. Always managed to take along enough that way (even 15 days with an 18 month old) without having to restock.  I guess I just felt that dealing with that pre cruise would be stressful in a different city.  Your tolerance may be higher...

I was able to pack an entire box of diapers (cruising with twins) in the outer pockets of our checked suitcases (good place for them since they can't be destroyed).  Don't count on buying once you're on board or in a port, but if you have time/transport you could get them in Galveston.  I'd be worried that there would be some delay and I wouldn't have time and diapers/wipes are too vital to take  chance on.  If you don't have outer pockets, then the best thing is to leave them in their shrink-wrapped packaging since they take up less space that way.  The nice thing is you have more room going home.  

Edited by Kerry's Girls

Also, bring any and all pediatric meds you MIGHT need.  The ship doesn't sell pediatric stuff...and you don't want to need something, and not have it!  Fever reducer, ear drops, nose drops, allergy stuff...make sure you have stuff like that!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Heymarco said:

This might be a dumb question, but what is the best way to dispose of diapers in the the room?.  We use a diaper genie at home and normally just use grocery bags or so on the go.  However, we are getting ready to take an 11 night cruise and that seems like a lot of little bags.

They sell small scented bags in the supermarket you can use (yes, it’s a lot of bags). Grocery bags will get kind of stinky in a small cabin. The room steward will empty the trash twice a day. One reason why I shake my head when people complain that they shouldn’t have to pay full tips for little ones - crazy since they make more of a mess than adults. 

11 hours ago, Heymarco said:

This might be a dumb question, but what is the best way to dispose of diapers in the the room?.  We use a diaper genie at home and normally just use grocery bags or so on the go.  However, we are getting ready to take an 11 night cruise and that seems like a lot of little bags.

bring a bunch of new grocery bags (i get mine from a grocery store or Walmart), wrap a used diaper in a bag, throw it in the trash in the bathroom. That should provide odor control. Your cabin gets cleaned twice a day. :) Leave a tip for the cabin attendant. :)

Also, depending on your kid's diet and age, his/her poop might be solid at the time of sailing, and you may be able to flush the actual solids down the toilet, and wrap up the diaper without solid waste in it.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

If you can not buy them before you embark, then pack a cardboard box with your diapers/wipes/anything else disposable that won't be coming home with you and then break down the box and leave it onboard. You can just slap a luggage tag on a box if it is well sealed and it should be fine.

We wrap up dirty stinky diapers in those biodegradable plastic puppy poop bags you can get in a roll from Amazon. I do that everywhere we are out as no one wants to smell that.

And yes, get a travel baby med kit ready and they even make Pedialyte single serving powder packs you can toss in there. I never knew that until we cruised with a baby. Didn't need them thankfully but I really didn't think they would have Pedialyte onboard.

On 6/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

bring a bunch of new grocery bags (i get mine from a grocery store or Walmart), wrap a used diaper in a bag, throw it in the trash in the bathroom. That should provide odor control. Your cabin gets cleaned twice a day. :) Leave a tip for the cabin attendant. :)

Also, depending on your kid's diet and age, his/her poop might be solid at the time of sailing, and you may be able to flush the actual solids down the toilet, and wrap up the diaper without solid waste in it.

Yes, please dispose of solids into the toilet before disposing of the diaper in a trash bag.  Please also notify your cabin steward that you will be disposing of diapers in the cabin, as these need to be "red bagged" as hazardous waste for incineration, and not hand sorting like most of the cabin garbage.