Drink packages and other amenities

tigger54

My husband and I have cruised over 30 times but never on HAL. We are looking at possibly doing a Caribbean cruise with them in the fall of 2020. Does HAL ever offer  perks such as a drink package or prepaid gratuities? 

Thank you

I think they both may have recently ended BUT they may come back any time. Seems they are changing up promos a lot now. We booked our 2020 cruise with the complimentary grats. That said, I keep a running tab on per person prices and sometimes, the no frills refundable deposit fare beats the promos and until final payment many times you can refare. Good luck and happy cruising!! 😊

See that you book with a refundable deposit (not the "no-frills" one) -- unless the deal is VERY good indeed. If you have a refundable deposit, then re-faring and qualifying under a new promotional is very easy (as long as there is another unsold cabin in your category to show the base fare, at least). You do lose any promo perks you already have, but it can be worth it to nab a particular cabin you want.

So you might book now with no promotional to get the stateroom you want, re-fare under the included gratuities sale, and then re-fare again under Explore4 and get the SBP, but lose the gratuities... If drinks are worth more to you AND the base fare is not hiked up too much.

Just as an example.

11 hours ago, tigger54 said:

My husband and I have cruised over 30 times but never on HAL. We are looking at possibly doing a Caribbean cruise with them in the fall of 2020. Does HAL ever offer  perks such as a drink package or prepaid gratuities? 

Thank you

They certainly do.  But you should always remember that while those perks maybe 'included' in the fare, that doesn't mean those perks are 'free'.  Often, cruise lines will increase the fare to include those perks.  

HAL does allow you to price a cruise with and without the perks.  Ask for both prices to see if the perks are worth the price.

Be careful to avoid non-refundable deposits.  That will allow you to rebook, or refare, in case a better deal comes along.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

They certainly do.  But you should always remember that while those perks maybe 'included' in the fare, that doesn't mean those perks are 'free'.  Often, cruise lines will increase the fare to include those perks.  

HAL does allow you to price a cruise with and without the perks.  Ask for both prices to see if the perks are worth the price.*

Be careful to avoid non-refundable deposits.  That will allow you to rebook, or refare, in case a better deal comes along.

*italics mine That is an important point. HAL's website many times only shows 2 price options. And it usually also does not show you the no frills (aka no promos and perks) refundable deposit price but only the present promotion price and then the more restricted NON-refundable deposit price. You can call however and get ALL pricing on a cabin so you can make an informed decision and compare apples to apples.

Edited by fatcat04

14 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

*italics mine That is an important point. HAL's website many times only shows 2 price options. And it usually also does not show you the no frills (aka no promos and perks) refundable deposit price but only the present promotion price and then the more restricted NON-refundable deposit price. You can call however and get ALL pricing on a cabin so you can make an informed decision and compare apples to apples.

A competent TA will provide ALL the pricing details.  When I'm booking a cruise, I send my TA an email asking for the refundable deposit price with and without the perks.  She has said that most of her clients book the 'without the perks' price.  

• Like 1

HAL is currently running their “early booking bonus “ on select 2020-21 sailings.  In previous years it was called Explore4. It includes their signature beverage package and 1nt at the Pinnacle Grill. Suites receive an additional $200/suite onboard credit. For the first time this year it is combinable with travel agent promotional group fares (many travel agents are not aware of this as HAL has not promoted it well).  This can sometimes net a fare below HAL’s “no perk rate (aka Advantage Fares). Some travel agencies may throw in extra onboard credit or pre-paid gratuity.  The promotion runs through the end of June.  

It pays to shop around. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1