I think the drinks packages should be even more confusing!

ssmea03

I am coming to the opinion that there never was a true replacement for classic, premium is pretty much deluxe without the minibar and connoisseur brands.

With this in mind I would like to advocate for an "easy plus" package with a $10 price cap. It would cover all the beer, a better selection of wines, frozen and island cocktails, mojitos and all the run of the mill liquors. And US$47ppd  would make it popular with everyone. 

While we are all dreaming...a card that limits it to 20 drinks or so and a card that's just for coffees (for mom who doesn't drink but loves her fancy coffee) . I hate packages with those expensive prices for all that mess, I don't need or want. I wish cruise lines in general would do something for those who drink some but not enough to spends a few hundred on a package.

14 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

While we are all dreaming...a card that limits it to 20 drinks or so and a card that's just for coffees (for mom who doesn't drink but loves her fancy coffee) . I hate packages with those expensive prices for all that mess, I don't need or want. I wish cruise lines in general would do something for those who drink some but not enough to spends a few hundred on a package.

Yes! MSC used to sell coupon books for drinks, coffees and waters. It worked great for us on the Divina last year. I wish they were still available for our upcoming cruise on the Seaside.

35 minutes ago, cmdchiefthom said:

I think I found the simplest solution to the drink problem, and that is booking the YC, where all the drinks are free, essentially unlimited, and that includes the stash in your stateroom fridge.😉

You are paying for the drinks! Nothing is free. Figure in the cost difference between YC and a balcony. That amounts to another 7 day cruise for 2 people. JMHO!

• Like 1

Wish there was some option to do this.  We booked with the Memorial Day All-In deal which included the Easy drink package.  I drink cider (Angry Orchard/Strongbow) and soda.  My wife drinks 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner and coffee or water.  

We're booked on an 11 day cruise, so upgrading the drink package would cost around $500 or so.  Or, we stick with the current package, and I drink Heineken or Miller Lite, and/or pay for a cider when I want one.  Stinks that there is no middle ground between the 2 packages.  Per the menus, ciders are $1 more than the $6 limit.  But if I order one, I have to pay $7 plus gratuity.  

55 minutes ago, Oxo said:

You are paying for the drinks! Nothing is free. Figure in the cost difference between YC and a balcony. That amounts to another 7 day cruise for 2 people. JMHO!

Hmm, we had the choice of an Aurea Balcony with the Easy Drink package and the YC (inside, NB) with Premium+ and the price difference was $50, so yeah. There was a cost difference but not much of one.* 😉

*however, the delta is usually much higher from what I've seen... 

39 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hmm, we had the choice of an Aurea Balcony with the Easy Drink package and the YC (inside, NB) with Premium+ and the price difference was $50, so yeah. There was a cost difference but not much of one.* 😉

*however, the delta is usually much higher from what I've seen... 

Yes,  the are always some type of deal that is reasonably cheap. However  normally it cost much more. We always compare our MSC cruises to see what the difference is. Very rare is it minimal even when including the extra perks. We cruise other lines, too. Cruise 6 to 7 times a year. Glad to see when a person gets a great deal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hmm, we had the choice of an Aurea Balcony with the Easy Drink package and the YC (inside, NB) with Premium+ and the price difference was $50, so yeah.

As an FYI ... YC has the Premium drinks package included - not the Prem+ one.  We've upgraded to Prem+ for both our upcoming YC cruises to make them totally all-inclusive.

28 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

As an FYI ... YC has the Premium drinks package included - not the Prem+ one.  We've upgraded to Prem+ for both our upcoming YC cruises to make them totally all-inclusive.

Ah, for some reason I thought someone else had indicated that it was Premium+. Maybe I imagined the + sign, which is possible since I’m due for an eye exam! LOL 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

What makes it confusing is that the yacht club description says that the minibar IS included, however the minibar usually isn’t included with the regular premium package, but is with premium plus. That’s a little confusing, but then again we are talking about MSC! 😁

The mini-bar was always included in YC and doesn't bear any relation to drinks package inclusions.  It was included even before the advent of drinks packages.  In fact, up until April 2017 YC didn't have a drinks package included for use around the rest of the ship.  We used to purchase the basic drinks package when we first sailed in YC.

YC prices increased to take account of the inclusion of a drinks package!

Edited by Beamafar

11 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

The mini-bar was always included in YC and doesn't bear any relation to drinks package inclusions.  It was included even before the advent of drinks packages.  In fact, up until April 2017 YC didn't have a drinks package included for use around the rest of the ship.  We used to purchase the basic drinks package when we first sailed in YC.

YC prices increased to take account of the inclusion of a drinks package!

Since you are my go-to for just about all things MSC (along with Sidari and Pete), can you point me to a list of drinks? I was reading earlier on (I forget which thread now) and someone who’d been in YC said that he/she was able to order all but the super top shelf drinks there. I don’t drink single malt scotch or cognac, but I do like champagne and bourbon and don’t want to have to pay full freight + 15% when I’m in the Yacht Club. Pete posted a very comprehensive list but I think it was from 2017. Last year on the Seaside we had the Deluxe package and the only items it didn’t include were bottles of wine and the pricier champagnes + spirits.  

Nicholas Feuillatte champagne is included for YC guests.  Here's what's included for both Premium and Premium+ (the latter having Connoisseurs Selection included, while the former is included for YC guests):

image.thumb.png.ed597266b0620a412d71ad460ba2233b.png