Question of Currency

On our way to Russia on Explorer soon out of Southampton.

A question for those who have already made the trip.

We are stopping at ports where the  GBP, USD and the Euro are not likely to be in use.

There are two kinds of Krona or Krone and the Ruble in USSR listed as currencies in countries we shall visit.

On trips ashore has anyone actually had the right currencies or if not how did you solve the difficulty, assuming of course you might even have bought a cup of coffee?

Perhaps you can change up money on the ship ?

Can anyone help please. ?

Bandboxer, you might post this on the forum for each of the countries you are visiting for a better response.  But in my experience, if you plan on going into shops, cafes, restaurants, stores, etc. you will either want to use a credit card or the local currency for your purchases.  SOMETIMES, in touristy areas, they will accept USD or Euros, but it's not always the case.  And if they do, the exchange rate they use will likely be bad and possibly even questionable.  Other than in Russia, I simply have used local ATMs to acquire a small amount of the local currency in any port where I needed cash.  The exchange rate of a bank's ATM is likely to be much better than anything a merchant will give you.  However, you do need to spend that money, or you will be taking it home with you.  In Russia, I never used an ATM, but I also never needed currency as I did not purchase anything and my tour was paid by USD (at the time, that is what the tour company asked for from Americans).  Americans usually need to notify their bank that they will be using their debit card at foreign ATMs in advance.  I'm not sure if that applies to those of you from the UK.

When we were in St. Petersburg and on tour, we really were not given the opportunity to shop on out own. When tipping the guides, I just used USD.

Where we need the Krone or Krona, I just stopped at a local ATM and got a small amount of local currency or just used my credit card. Many places are moving to cashless anyway.

You may be able to get Krona on your ship at guest services...if not an ATM or in the terminal there might be a currency exchange booth.

As far as Russia we were able to use our credit card (no foreign transaction fee one) at major shops also many vendors will actually take small US $'s. Our private tour guide from TJ Travel paid at any place that would only take Rubles. We asked when we first met with her about exchanging money but she said not necessary.

Rubles are never available on a ship to exchange.

• Like 1

ATMs if you want some local currency.

For small purchases, the bad exchange rate will not make that much of a difference to use USD or Euro.

And you can just charge it.  In Europe, people charge a small coffee or a pack of gum.  A LOT less cash used.