Zaandam drydock

jwh

When was the last dry dock for Zaandam and does anyone know what updates, if any, were made to the cabins e.g. bathroom tiling, soft furnishings etc.   I thought I had read somewhere that there was a not so long ago drydock, but can't find it now and wonder if I was dreaming!

7 minutes ago, jwh said:

When was the last dry dock for Zaandam and does anyone know what updates, if any, were made to the cabins e.g. bathroom tiling, soft furnishings etc.   I thought I had read somewhere that there was a not so long ago drydock, but can't find it now and wonder if I was dreaming!

ZADM's most recent dry-dock was last year in Freeport from 02 through 13 April 2018. She received, among other things, suite upgrades and enhancements, incl. new sofas, lounge and desk chairs, carpeting and wall covers, a quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades included a USB outlet added the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod. A Bose iPod docking station, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine in PS suites only. Standard staterooms received bathroom updates. Not sure about the interactive flat screens  

30 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

ZADM's most recent dry-dock was last year in Freeport from 02 through 13 April 2018. She received, among other things, suite upgrades and enhancements, incl. new sofas, lounge and desk chairs, carpeting and wall covers, a quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades included a USB outlet added the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod. A Bose iPod docking station, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine in PS suites only. Standard staterooms received bathroom updates. Not sure about the interactive flat screens  

I was on the Zaandam May 2018 after drydock and no wall-mounted flatscreen TV in my 6217:

image.png.527edeb3c4cd380ecedc04926d52b805.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your quick replies Copper and Crew News.    The photo is great too.  Would love it if anyone else has photos of any category cabins on Zaandam since the upgrade/dry dock.  Looked over Halfacts which is a good indication but would love to see more updated photos.

Much of the cabin electronics upgrades occurred in the suites.  The bathroom upgrades occurred in a select few of the OV cabins on the lower prom deck, removing the tubs and making many showers only while upgrading the walls and sink area.  No LED TVs on the walls in the OV cabins either and I believe not in the insides as well.

If you look through that website you'll find a few of the OV cabins that had the bathroom upgrades.  Look at the few mid-ship OV cabins on the lower promenade deck.  In Sep-Oct-Nov of 2018, there were no upgrades in the forward section or aft section of this deck.  I was in 3317 and it hadn't been touched in the dry dock: http://halfacts.com/r-class/3317-zaandam/ but you can look at 3339 and see the bath upgrades.

3 hours ago, jwh said:

Thank you so much for your quick replies Copper and Crew News.    The photo is great too.  Would love it if anyone else has photos of any category cabins on Zaandam since the upgrade/dry dock.  Looked over Halfacts which is a good indication but would love to see more updated photos.

There are some pics on this page from my live thread a couple of weeks ago.  Jump to Page 11 and there are more.  Bottom line is there was no refresh done to the OV’s on Dolphin Deck One.

Hard to believe that a drydock would not upgrade the old tiny TVs still going on so many HAL ships. I suspect most HAL pax have bigger tvs in their kitchens or bathrooms.

Just off of two different Princess ships which now have the large (40+ inches) flat screen TVs that are mounted on the wall not sitting on a counter.....a very nice upgrade.

TVs are so cheap these days it boggles the mind that HAL doesn't buy new ones especially considering that they would likely get a huge volume discount .  The retail price right now for a 40 inch Sharp tv at walmart is $129....one would think that a volume purchase would bring the price below $100 per unit.  Donate the old tvs to schools, poor people, charities,  or others who can still use a small TV.

I was recently on the Golden Princess which is 18 years old and they had upgraded all the TVs to nice large wall mounted flat screens so Princess didn't seem to be too concerned with age or cable cost.  Not only is the tv way better the wall mount gets it off the counter and provides much better viewing angles.

I don't watch that much tv on a cruise anyway but it sure is nice to have a decent TV for those who do watch more.

• Like 1

Thanks so much to Obnxsh (your reply certainly doesn't live up to your sceen name inference of 'obnoxious' and was much appreciated,   Miss G (followed your great blog - thankyou!) and Dockman (I agree with your comments about replacing the TV as they are so cheap).  Just wish they would have redone/updated all the rooms - or at least give some clues on the deck plan as to which had bathroom refits etc.  Seems so odd to have one room done and the next room not!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Mot of above sounds lioke my recentr ca in on Zansam.  I had a Neptune Suite and was surprised to hav a  'pod' coffee    maker  in my c abin.  i asked my steward  for   de caf  pods   and  right awqay i had   some   . 

image.png.ac18199a8020e13c4ca4f2be915d507f.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

15 hours ago, jwh said:

More photos of the Zaandam after drydock:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-zaandam-on-board/ms-zaandam-staterooms

Thanks so much Crew News.  These photos are much appreciated.  Looks like 6217 is a Vista suite category B.   I have a BB guarantee (would these have received an update do you think?)  and my friends are travelling in a variety of other cabin types including EE, E, D and DA.  Mostly they are on Deck 3 and I had hoped all the cabins would be fairly similarly maintained/updated etc.  in the non suite category at least.  Certainly is very confusing with so many different categories.  

Just so it's clear about the bathrooms that were re-done during dry dock in 2018, you can see a group of OV cabins mid-ship port and starboard on deck 3 that are all "shower only" as noted by the "*" on the deck plan.  These are the OV cabins that had the baths updated.

I'd be VERY happy with that Neptune Suite scubacruiserx2.   Unfortunately they are all fully booked on my cruise and probably couldn't afford it anyway, but thank you so much for posting the photos.  Wonder if BB guarantee ever get upgraded to Neptune?  That would be amazing. 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, jwh said:

I'd be VERY happy with that Neptune Suite scubacruiserx2.   Unfortunately they are all fully booked on my cruise and probably couldn't afford it anyway, but thank you so much for posting the photos.  Wonder if BB guarantee ever get upgraded to Neptune?  That would be amazing. 

Very good photos,,,  thank you for them

just what my recent Neptune looked like, without the holiday decorations. 🙂

image.png.8daf5ad4d192bb1728ea599011e072b2.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

• 3 months later...

thing

I would no t count on that  sort of free upgrade.  Why would any one pay those prices for the neptune suites  if we  could get a 'free upgrade?

image.png.6be68bbec33fb573668c554749ec0a78.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com