Livorno to Florence

Cruiseaholic07

Looking for some advice from the Italy experts out there.  We are going to be arriving in Livorno on Nov 30 on NCL spirit. We’ve already decided we want to do Florence only, due to David & the Ufitizi among other things. Our arrival is 9am and departure at 8pm. As I know the ride is an hour plus, I was looking at our transportation options. The cruise excursions are insanely priced, and do not meet our needs for Florence. I see the museums close at 530 local time. I checked Tuscanybus, which is cheap but they leave for port at 345. Anyone have any suggestions on options for getting the most bang for our buck, and to also spend as much time as possible while still getting back to port in time? I was looking at the trains, but I do not know if that is a smart idea or not.

You can take the train from Livorno to Florence in less time than the drive takes. Since you have a later evening departure, it would make sense. 

You do have to get to the train station -- best plan is to be one of the first off the train and negotiate with a taxi driver for the ride (most want to take folks on expensive full-day tours). Sometimes there is a dispatcher who may help. It won't be inexpensive (I think the going rate is 20 euro) but you may be able to share the ride, if you are a couple.

The train station, Firenze - Santa Maria Novella, is in town, perhaps a 15-20 minute walk to the Uffizi or a bit longer to the Accademia (David).  Be aware that there are long waits, even sometimes with pre-reserved tickets. Consider getting the Firenze pass, which is a true skip-the-line entry to most museums and sites in Florence: http://www.firenzecard.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&lang=en .  Although it looks like they've instituted new rules for the Uffizi and Accademia since my last visit two years ago, so read carefully.

There are plenty of return trains that leave later the the bus and would return you in time. (I see 5:28, 5:38, 6:28 -- which is probably the last one I'd consider).  From the train station, a taxi can return you to the port.

Absolutely agree with Cruisemom.

Except that whereas most cruise lines only offer shuttles between ship & Livorno city centre (inconvenient for the rail station), NCL offer a shuttle between ship & rail station.

You'd need to check whether that's still the case, and you might have to taxi back to the ship if they stop the shuttles too early. But it could avoid the lottery of getting a taxi from the ship - which would be quicker and a lot cheaper if you share (taxis hold up to 8 pax)

JB :classic_smile:

If you want to do this, I advise buying timed tickets to the Academia and the Uffizi before you leave the US.  Otherwise the lines will eat up so much time [if you even get in] that you won't be able to do both in a day.