Loyal Royal Cruiser looking at Celebrity Cruise but has questions...

RSLeesburg

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I saw an itinerary on Celebrity that has been on our bucket list and wanted to make a reservation but had a few questions:

1.  Are deposits refundable or not on Celebrity?  We normally book a suite (GS) on RCI, and these are almost always non-refundable. 

2.  We would like to book a suite - we normally book a GS on RCI, and were looking at either Sky or Celebrity Suite.  Which is more comparable to the GS?  From the specs it looks like Celebrity is more like OS, and Sky is more like JS.  Is this correct?  

3.  Any benefits or discounts on Celebrity for Diamond members on RCI?  

4.  How is the kids club on this ship?  

5.  Has anyone done the South American cruise (14 day around the horn) in December?  Curious as to how the weather is around that timeframe.  

Thanks, 

33 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I saw an itinerary on Celebrity that has been on our bucket list and wanted to make a reservation but had a few questions:

1.  Are deposits refundable or not on Celebrity?  We normally book a suite (GS) on RCI, and these are almost always non-refundable. 

2.  We would like to book a suite - we normally book a GS on RCI, and were looking at either Sky or Celebrity Suite.  Which is more comparable to the GS?  From the specs it looks like Celebrity is more like OS, and Sky is more like JS.  Is this correct?  

3.  Any benefits or discounts on Celebrity for Diamond members on RCI?  

5.  Has anyone done the South American cruise (14 day around the horn) in December?  Curious as to how the weather is around that timeframe.  

Thanks, 

1.  Celebrity has both non-refundable and refundable deposits.  Do a mock booking and you can see there is a price difference.

2.  Size wise It depends upon the ship.  On S Class ship Sky suites are 300sq ft, on M Class about 250 sq ft.  On Celebrity all suite guests dine in Luminae and have access to the Retreat Lounge (and Retreat Sun Deck on the updated ships).  Unless things have changed I don’t believe Jr Suites on Royal get the benefits of the larger suites.

3.  No discount based on loyalty status.  There is a 1. Category upgrade but it doesn’t apply to booking a suite.

4 Sorry don’t know.

5 we have been around the Horn 3 times Jan & Feb.  we had good weather and calm seas.

We just got back from Alaska on our first Celebrity Cruise.  We normally stay in suites on royal.  

We stayed in a CS which has a seperate bedroom without windows. I would compare it to a little bigger than a grand but not as open as an owners.

The amenities for suites were far and above anything Royal offers including Star suites that I have stayed in. The service, food and staff were amazing.  We did not do a lot of shows so I cannot comment on the entertainment.  If you book the Royal or Penthouse you receive the drink package and speciality restaurants as well. 

The retreat lounge and suite sun deck is available with call brands and specialty beers all day, not just from 5-830 not like Royal with crappy wine and cheap liquor in the Suite lounge.

Not a lot of Diamond benefits.  You do get pressing and a laundry bag as well as 90 minutes of internet that you can log on and off of.

I will more than likely be booking Celebrity in the future for non-Florida itineraries.

Unless you book a special rate like resident, military or senior with no perks, all the suites get GO Best with 4 perks - premium drink package, unlimited internet, prepaid grants and $300 non refundable OBC.

We were in the OP's position a few years ago (long-time RCCL cruiser, D+, mostly suites).  We have largely migrated to X several years ago.  Here are our views:

1.  Suites aren't exactly comparable across lines.  IMO, you get more benefits on X for a Sky Suite than a higher level suite (GS) on RCCL.  The main you do NOT get on X is the reserved loungers at the pool (unless, of course, you're on a ship with the Retreat).  Also, while you get reserved seating on production nights, not on all show nights as is the case with RCCL.  The Sky Suites on X are a bit smaller than a GS but way, way more benefits than a JS (which really has zero).

2.  If you book a high-level suite on X (e.g., Royal), it's pretty amazing and close to the quality of service on Crystal, etc.  Your butler can be a godsend (we have had mixed experiences) in terms of changing/getting reservations, etc.  The beverage package is free and covers most of what you might want to drink unless you're a huge wine snob.  You have free mini-bar (beer/soda) replaced as much as you want.  Two bottles of wine/spirits in your room (not that you really need them with the package). Free internet -- as much as you want.  Free laundry if you don't abuse it.  Free specialty dining.  We love Luminae, but it's nice to be able to go to Murano or get sushi any night you want. 

3.  X is NOT as kid-friendly.  RCCL is now largely marketing to families with kids. We don't have kids and, for us, the fewer the better.  X does not have all the "gimmicks" that kids love, such as the Flow-Rider, rock-climbing wall, water slides, etc.  This is not to say that kids aren't on X -- they certainly are.  But if I had school-age kids, I think I'd go for RCCL for them, not us -- and in fact we're doing just that later this year with young relatives.

4.  There are SOMEWHAT fewer attempts on X to separate you from your money at every opportunity (gold by the inch, Bingo/bingo/bingo, art auction, photos, and on and on).  Nowhere near Crystal in that regard - where it NEVER happens.  X is certainly giving revenue generation a good shot, but I did find it a bit less intrusive than RCCL.

The cost for X is definitely higher than a similarly-sized cabin on RCCL.  If you add in the perks that are "free" on X, the difference isn't as stark but it's still there. For us, it's worth it, but YMMV depending on your needs, preferences and budget.

Weather should be good in December as it's summer in the southern hemisphere.  I can pretty much promise you that, if you take a 14-day cruise with young kids, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of other kids, even over the holidays.  Very common to see them on shorter cruises, but that's a long trip and most kids aren't off that long.

32 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

We were in the OP's position a few years ago (long-time RCCL cruiser, D+, mostly suites).  We have largely migrated to X several years ago.  Here are our views:

1.  Suites aren't exactly comparable across lines.  IMO, you get more benefits on X for a Sky Suite than a higher level suite (GS) on RCCL.  The main you do NOT get on X is the reserved loungers at the pool (unless, of course, you're on a ship with the Retreat).  Also, while you get reserved seating on production nights, not on all show nights as is the case with RCCL.  The Sky Suites on X are a bit smaller than a GS but way, way more benefits than a JS (which really has zero).

2.  If you book a high-level suite on X (e.g., Royal), it's pretty amazing and close to the quality of service on Crystal, etc.  Your butler can be a godsend (we have had mixed experiences) in terms of changing/getting reservations, etc.  The beverage package is free and covers most of what you might want to drink unless you're a huge wine snob.  You have free mini-bar (beer/soda) replaced as much as you want.  Two bottles of wine/spirits in your room (not that you really need them with the package). Free internet -- as much as you want.  Free laundry if you don't abuse it.  Free specialty dining.  We love Luminae, but it's nice to be able to go to Murano or get sushi any night you want. 

3.  X is NOT as kid-friendly.  RCCL is now largely marketing to families with kids. We don't have kids and, for us, the fewer the better.  X does not have all the "gimmicks" that kids love, such as the Flow-Rider, rock-climbing wall, water slides, etc.  This is not to say that kids aren't on X -- they certainly are.  But if I had school-age kids, I think I'd go for RCCL for them, not us -- and in fact we're doing just that later this year with young relatives.

4.  There are SOMEWHAT fewer attempts on X to separate you from your money at every opportunity (gold by the inch, Bingo/bingo/bingo, art auction, photos, and on and on).  Nowhere near Crystal in that regard - where it NEVER happens.  X is certainly giving revenue generation a good shot, but I did find it a bit less intrusive than RCCL.

The cost for X is definitely higher than a similarly-sized cabin on RCCL.  If you add in the perks that are "free" on X, the difference isn't as stark but it's still there. For us, it's worth it, but YMMV depending on your needs, preferences and budget.

Weather should be good in December as it's summer in the southern hemisphere.  I can pretty much promise you that, if you take a 14-day cruise with young kids, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of other kids, even over the holidays.  Very common to see them on shorter cruises, but that's a long trip and most kids aren't off that long.

Thanks for the feedback.  If this cruise was offered by Royal over Christmas break, I would definitely consider taking it.  It does have more "attractions" for an 11 y/o boy.  But for the time being, we booked this one and will continue to see what else is available next year that peaks our interest.  

We have some friends who took this same cruise on NCL two years ago, and they raved about it.  There were three families that went, and they said that the only English-speaking kids on board were the 6 they brought with them.  I am not too worried - our son is an only child, so he is used to not many kids around, so I think he will be fine.  

I don't think that anyone mentioned the RCL Diamond benefit yet.  When you call up to register for the Captains Club, tell them your 'status' on RCL.  You will have to give them your C&A numbers so they can verify your RCL status.  If you are Diamond or above, you will be classified as 'Elite' in Celebrity.  Somewhere on the Celebrity web site, there are descriptions of the benefits for each of the tiers.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:58 AM, RSLeesburg said:

Hi Everyone,

My little one (DD10) prefers the Kids club on X.

Can I piggyback a question related to RCCL to Celebrity benefits?  On RCCL, they add 3 free drinks per evening to your account. Does Celebrity do the same or do you have to go to their Elite lounge event? On my only prior X cruise, my husband and I were the same tier so could go to the lounge. I’ll be traveling with my sister and friend who will be on their first X cruise and aren’t high enough at RCCL for reciprocal benefits.

Also when it comes to check in, X says we must check in as a group but I (as elite) may choose to arrive at 11am. My travel companion who has completed her check in has 11:30-12, as it didn’t offer 11am. Since we are in the same room and checking in together, will we be able to all check in at 11 based on my elite status?

5 hours ago, magicolor_girl said:

Can I piggyback a question related to RCCL to Celebrity benefits?  On RCCL, they add 3 free drinks per evening to your account. Does Celebrity do the same or do you have to go to their Elite lounge event? On my only prior X cruise, my husband and I were the same tier so could go to the lounge. I’ll be traveling with my sister and friend who will be on their first X cruise and aren’t high enough at RCCL for reciprocal benefits.

Also when it comes to check in, X says we must check in as a group but I (as elite) may choose to arrive at 11am. My travel companion who has completed her check in has 11:30-12, as it didn’t offer 11am. Since we are in the same room and checking in together, will we be able to all check in at 11 based on my elite status?

They now add unlimited drinks (from the limited CC menu) to your seapass card, to be used in most bars between 5 and 7 pm. However, your sister and friend will not have this benefit, since they are not elite. I believe they will be able to go to the Elite Happy Hour in the Cosmos (or whatever they call it) lounge with you if they are sharing a stateroom with you.  As far as check-in is concerned, you should all be able to check in together at 11:00. They're not too strict about that sort of thing.

• Thanks 1