Help please..Seattle check-in with children and ONE parent

bonship

6 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

That is not correct. You can use a passport card to check in for a cruise. It is scanned in just like a passport is. I've checked in many passengers who had passport cards.

Tom

How many passengers had only one parent with the child you were checking in?

With one parent not with the child we were required to have a passport book. A card was not allowed.

It was correct for us........

I never said it could not be used in a regular situation.

1 minute ago, Jezabel2924 said:

Just one.  They had a letter from the court allowing the travel with the parent who had full custody.

Thats great you could use a card. 

We could not and were not going to chance being denied boarding.

3 hours ago, phred119s said:

I agree to try to obtain passports. When we renewed our daughter’s last year it was 17 days appointment to in hand. This was not expedited. My mom just renewed hers and it took less than 3 weeks. 

Earlier this month I drove into Canada and I was asked at the border where my daughter’s father was. I did have him write a note just in case I was asked as he was in Europe at the same time. 

Personally, I wouldn’t risk it (without passports and a note) with the inconsistency of the information you have been given. 

I would definitely recommend expediting - it seems to be taking longer right now.  My sisters renewal has been in for 4 weeks and it still says "processing" - oddly, her daughters new passport card is finalizing right now and shipping soon - don't know why her renewal is taking so long!

6 hours ago, schlogee said:

I would definitely recommend expediting - it seems to be taking longer right now.  My sisters renewal has been in for 4 weeks and it still says "processing" - oddly, her daughters new passport card is finalizing right now and shipping soon - don't know why her renewal is taking so long!

I received an email from a local agency saying they are now saying 8 weeks as opposed to the normal 6 weeks. I know 2 who recently expedited it and got it quite quickly.

Thank you all for your comments and input.  When my daughter talked to the Princess agent via the 800 phone number, my daughter didn't make it clear that we had a group booking.  After talking further with our Princess Vacation Planner TA (who I trust and have used for years), she called the higher-ups on the phone and they said that the grand kids were all fine with just birth certificates, since all the adults in our group have passports. She said that everyone must have a passport if only ONE adult is traveling with minor children for all the reasons you have all referenced.   Our TA made a notation on our booking about the situation. (Not sure that means anything.)  We will all check in together at the pier,  but I am still nervous about it. We will also get a notarized letter from the kids' dad, and  I will look into getting passport cards today.  Thank you, thank you. 

Edited by bonship
left out info
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Thats great you could use a card. 

We could not and were not going to chance being denied boarding.

With what you were told, I certainly agree with your choice as you certainly don't want to take any unnecessary chances!

Tom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bonship said:

Thank you all for your comments and input.  When my daughter talked to the Princess agent via the 800 phone number, my daughter didn't make it clear that we had a group booking.  After talking further with our Princess Vacation Planner TA (who I trust and have used for years), she called the higher-ups on the phone and they said that the grand kids were all fine with just birth certificates, since all the adults in our group have passports. She said that everyone must have a passport if only ONE adult is traveling with minor children for all the reasons you have all referenced.   Our TA made a notation on our booking about the situation. (Not sure that means anything.)  We will all check in together at the pier,  but I am still nervous about it. We will also get a notarized letter from the kids' dad, and  I will look into getting passport cards today.  Thank you, thank you. 

Sounds like things might workout for you all.  So happy to hear!  Praying it all goes smoothly and you all have safe travels!!!

On 6/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, bonship said:

We are headed to Alaska in 3 weeks RT from Seattle with kids and grand kids to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.  My divorced daughter was told, adamantly, by a Princess agent yesterday that her three small children needed passports to get on ship .  Our Princess TA said they only needed birth certificates.  One of the reasons we chose Seattle RT was because our six grand kids would not need to get passports.    Does anyone have experience with this situation at check-in?   thanks in advance.

I find this very interesting. PLEASE come back and tell us what you do or don't do. Personally I'd get the grand kids Passports and a notarized letter from there father. It's better to be safe than sorry, your spending a lot of money on a cruise and I'd hate to see someone denied boarding for the lack of proper documents. We have enhanced drivers licenses and we just show it to the agent and we are good to go, we also have Passports I only show it when asked. On our last cruise 2 weeks ago in Seattle there were a number of people who had birth certificates and customs checked them over very carefully. The person in front of me had a photo copy birth certificate, a poor copy at that, he was pulled a side and then into a room. He wife was wild. 

8 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

The Passport card is only good for land and sea travel into/out of Canada/Mexico.  It will not work for Air travel from a non-US airport, only the book.

And, a passport card is not indicated as an acceptable substitute for a passport book when children are traveling with only one adult aged 21+