Woman Killed by Shark

Butterbean1000

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

A woman was killed by a shark while snorkeling in the Bahamas Wednesday.  I tried to post URL, but having issues with my tablet. Google it.

I think this was the thread in which this particular matter was being discussed. 

Shark attacks on humans are relatively rare. And in nearly all cases, it’s because the shark mistook the person as a food source. That’s why it often happens to surfers...from below, a paddling surfer looks like a seal/sea lion. 

I remember several years ago it was all over the news and everyone was in a panic. In reality, the number of attacks hadn’t gone up, but the news coverage of them had, giving the false impression that attacks were increasing.

Just now, Organized Chaos said:

Shark attacks on humans are relatively rare. And in nearly all cases, it’s because the shark mistook the person as a food source. That’s why it often happens to surfers...from below, a paddling surfer looks like a seal/sea lion. 

I remember several years ago it was all over the news and everyone was in a panic. In reality, the number of attacks hadn’t gone up, but the news coverage of them had, giving the false impression that attacks were increasing.

Indeed. Humans are bony creatures, as one man once put it. Sharks DO NOT eat humans as prey. However, as you just mentioned, surfers are prone.

Sharks have a keen sense of smell, and honestly we humans probably smell like toxic waste from the chemical infused crap we eat.  Occasionally sharks will go in for a 'taste' but it is because we look like a seal (favorite food) or there are fishermen nearby throwing fish guts in the water, forming a bloody oily chum that the sharks smell.  

It is horrible that this woman was bitten and bled to death, horrible.  The Bahamas is known for all its sharks (many oceanfront restaurants actually throw food in water to attract them for the tourists) as well as all the sport fishermen there... so the sharks hang out there in bigger numbers than most other islands...free food, that is what sharks like.  So the Bahamas do have more shark attacks, for sure, but the numbers are really quite low overall.  I think NC and Fla coasts have more.

1 minute ago, ABQrobin said:

Sharks have a keen sense of smell, and honestly we humans probably smell like toxic waste from the chemical infused crap we eat.  Occasionally sharks will go in for a 'taste' but it is because we look like a seal (favorite food) or there are fishermen nearby throwing fish guts in the water, forming a bloody oily chum that the sharks smell.  

It is horrible that this woman was bitten and bled to death, horrible.  The Bahamas is known for all its sharks (many oceanfront restaurants actually throw food in water to attract them for the tourists) as well as all the sport fishermen there... so the sharks hang out there in bigger numbers than most other islands...free food, that is what sharks like.  So the Bahamas do have more shark attacks, for sure, but the numbers are really quite low overall.  I think NC and Fla coasts have more.

Also, my inner science buff will mention that sharks have a lateral line system which senses muscle contractions of other animals. Hence, they will go towards that direction anyway in order to get a "look" at what is happening. 

• Like 1

My brother is very concerned about me snorkeling at CocoCay. He thinks there's a cover-up going on between the cruise lines and Bahamian government. I tried to explain to him that only lemon sharks have been seen at CocoCay. I also told him that it's extremely rare that 3 sharks would attack the same person at the same time. Something doesn't add up about this snorkeling excursion the family was on. 

On 6/28/2019 at 12:36 AM, ameliasmom said:

My brother is very concerned about me snorkeling at CocoCay. He thinks there's a cover-up going on between the cruise lines and Bahamian government. I tried to explain to him that only lemon sharks have been seen at CocoCay. I also told him that it's extremely rare that 3 sharks would attack the same person at the same time. Something doesn't add up about this snorkeling excursion the family was on. 

If it was covered up, why is it in the news????  

Coco Cay is fine for swimming and snorkeling.  It would be ALL OVER the Royal Caribbean forum here if there were constant shark attacks!  

On 6/28/2019 at 12:36 AM, ameliasmom said:

Just because only lemon sharks have supposedly been seen at CocoCay means little. The Bahamas is full of tiger sharks and definitely in that area around CocoCay. The girl was killed by 3 tiger sharks. Tiger shark diving is popular at Grand Bahama.  Care to guess what cruise island lies right smack in between Grand Bahama and Rose Island, and is surrounded by deeper water that the tigers traverse? 

We were at Rose Island last October on a private charter. We actually saw a shark from the boat and it was swimming oddly. Our guide thought it was sick or injured. We later snorkeled in the area without issue. We loved that tour so much and want to go back next year. I hope this was pretty isolated. 

We were actually in the exact spot of the attack the week earlier while in Nassau on the AoS. There was another group snorkeling in the same area as us but they were dropping dog food in the water which was causing the fish along the reef to frenzy. It actually made me nervous as this is what brings the sharks in to join in on the free meal.