Baltic Cruise

gatorchinsky

We just returned from the Western Mediterranean on the Epic.  We had an amazing time and would love to do another European cruise.  We were thinking of the 9 day Baltic on the Escape next summer.  Are the ports good?  Really long days?  How hard would it be to go to Berlin?

I would love to hear from those who have done both the W Mediterranean and the Baltics to get your comparisons.

Thanks!

I’ve done many Mediterranean cruises and two Baltic’s (going again this Summer).

I far prefer the Baltic ports, especially over the Western Med ones.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother going to Berlin, but then we can fly there in about the same time, and for lower cost, than the train takes from Warnemunde. However, if you are unlikely to get there as easily then it is probably worth it. It’s not cheap, and I believe is a bit rushed, but you will get chance to see quite a bit.

Many Baltic’s ports are quite easy to get around without having to pay for tours, but on the Escape itinerary that isn’t quite the case. I’ve mentioned Berlin, and St Petersburg is one that requires a tour unless you are going to mess around with Visas, but They have been docking in Nynashamn for Stockholm, so a train or coach journey is required. However, Tallin (which is one of my favourite ports anywhere) is easy to walk round and Helsinki is also quite compact, and the HOHO bus is convenient with pickups from the cruise port.

Yes, they can be long days, especially St Petersburg if you go to Berlin, but it’s worth it.

Spend a few days in Copenhagen pre cruise as well. It’s a fantastic city.

We did this cruise last August, and had a great time.  Yes, the days in port are sometimes long, as are the excursions, but you really get a lot of bang for your buck. I think it is a great way to see a lot of countries in a little time.   We did the W. Med the summer before that.  We were exhausted after the Baltic cruise - but exhausted in a good way.  We took the train excursion offered through NCL in Germany to see Berlin - we thought it was very relaxing, instead of taking a private tour in a car/van.  In Russia we took a private 2 day tour.  Long days, but we saw tons of interesting things.  The summer palace was amazing.  If you liked the med cruise, I am sure you will like the Baltic cruise. Oh - we absolutely loved Copenhagen, and were glad we went in 2 days early to explore.  Our hotel was great (Admiral Copenhagen) This summer we will be doing the NCL Venice/Greek Islands/Croatia cruise!

Edited by pe4all

19 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I’ve done many Mediterranean cruises and two Baltic’s (going again this Summer).

I far prefer the Baltic ports, especially over the Western Med ones.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother going to Berlin, but then we can fly there in about the same time, and for lower cost, than the train takes from Warnemunde. However, if you are unlikely to get there as easily then it is probably worth it. It’s not cheap, and I believe is a bit rushed, but you will get chance to see quite a bit.

Many Baltic’s ports are quite easy to get around without having to pay for tours, but on the Escape itinerary that isn’t quite the case. I’ve mentioned Berlin, and St Petersburg is one that requires a tour unless you are going to mess around with Visas, but They have been docking in Nynashamn for Stockholm, so a train or coach journey is required. However, Tallin (which is one of my favourite ports anywhere) is easy to walk round and Helsinki is also quite compact, and the HOHO bus is convenient with pickups from the cruise port.

Yes, they can be long days, especially St Petersburg if you go to Berlin, but it’s worth it.

Spend a few days in Copenhagen pre cruise as well. It’s a fantastic city.

Thank you for the advice!

With regards to St. Petersburg, if you have a tour with NCL or a local tour company you don’t need to deal with the Visa situation?

We would definitely spend a few nights before cruise.  Any hotel recommendations?

22 minutes ago, pe4all said:

We did this cruise last August, and had a great time.  Yes, the days in port are sometimes long, as are the excursions, but you really get a lot of bang for your buck. I think it is a great way to see a lot of countries in a little time.   We did the W. Med the summer before that.  We were exhausted after the Baltic cruise - but exhausted in a good way.  We took the train excursion offered through NCL in Germany to see Berlin - we thought it was very relaxing, instead of taking a private tour in a car/van.  In Russia we took a private 2 day tour.  Long days, but we saw tons of interesting things.  The summer palace was amazing.  If you liked the med cruise, I am sure you will like the Baltic cruise. Oh - we absolutely loved Copenhagen, and were glad we went in 2 days early to explore.  Our hotel was great (Admiral Copenhagen) This summer we will be doing the NCL Venice/Greek Islands/Croatia cruise!

Thanks for your response!  We were on the go during our Mediterranean cruise, but did enjoy it.  We have never been to any of these cities so think they would be exciting to see.

How is the weather in late July or early August?

Thanks for the hotel recommendation.

i was last year with the Breakaway in the Batics in July, weather was warm/hot and calm sea.

loved Tallinn and Helsinki, did both at my own and walked through the city.

at st. Petersburg i was with a small groupe we booked a private tour with tj Travel. NCL did handle it in st. petersburg like the Tendertickets. my advice for a private tour, book a later start and not at 8:30 am or so ( i think we had 9:30 ? ). ncl excursions or private tours operater make it with the tourist visa for you. we gave them our passports infos before and got via mail a tour ticket for the immigration. second day we could leave the ship without waiting time very fast. it is only the first day.

if you want to go to berlin i think the train ride with ncl is good, that is a special train only for the NCL excursion from warnemünde to Berlin and back.

liked Kopenhaggen too. tivoli at night is great.

i would love too cruise again with the escape, so i´m thinking about bookeing the escape at the baltics next year again.

We are on the Getaway in the Baltic in just a few days, and they have moved our Stockholm berth to the city instead of Nyanshamn. Also, on the 9 day NCL has replacled Stockholm Day #2 with Visby, Sweden. Looking forward to this smaller medieval walled city similar to Tallin, Estonia.

If you aren't in dire need to see Berlin, stick to Warnemunde!  Its a great little town, and you can easily DIY to Schwerin Castle, ride the Molli Steam Train to Bad Doberan, or go over to Wismar and see the Gothic brick architecture.  So much to see without sitting on an un-airconditioned charter train to Berlin for 3 hours each way.

This is a really great website created by a Cruise Criticer for all kinds of information and how to use public transportation to get around.  https://travelanni.webs.com/

We have done both as well a 14 -day Grand Med cruise that did all of Italy, Greece and Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia.  We also did the 9-day baltic.  In both cases we used private tours for most and that made the long days go well.  In the Baltics we used Alla for Germany, St. Petersburgh, Stockholm, and post cruise in Copenhagen.   We think their small group was excellent.  Germany was a long day driving in and out, but we did get a feel for the city and were pleased with what we were able to see.  Russia was great over the 2 days.  If we had it to do over again we would have done Stockholm on our own and gone to the Vasa, Abba and then walked around some and just used a transfer.  We did Tallin and Helsinki on our own and it was a good mix.  Both cruises are different but very port-intensive and we enjoyed them in different ways.  For the med we spent a little more for private drivers in Florence, Naples, Rome, Athens, Dubrovnik, Kotor, and Koper and took NCL tours in St. Tropez and Corfu and on our own in Mykonos to break things up as well.  I think creating a balance of port days makes these trips work well.  We are doing the Spirit next week to Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Amsterdam and have a combination of tours again to break it up as well.

Best of luck in planning your trip, you will have a great time especially we believe in the sights of St. Petersburgh.