Returning rental car at the Port of Miami Shuttle Service

We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise and renting a car at the airport. We are then driving to Miami and staying at a resort at the beach. The rental car return location that we chose was the "Port of Miami Shuttle Service". Has anyone ever returned a car there prior to their cruise. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a easy, hassle free place to return the car or should we just pick a different return location. There's actually a Budget not even two miles away from our resort and a quick Uber ride to the port. I was just hoping to avoid getting an Uber if we are renting a car. 

19 minutes ago, luvsunnydaiz said:

We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise and renting a car at the airport. We are then driving to Miami and staying at a resort at the beach. The rental car return location that we chose was the "Port of Miami Shuttle Service". Has anyone ever returned a car there prior to their cruise. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a easy, hassle free place to return the car or should we just pick a different return location. There's actually a Budget not even two miles away from our resort and a quick Uber ride to the port. I was just hoping to avoid getting an Uber if we are renting a car. 

Personally I wouldn't rent a car unless I had sightseeing that I wanted to do. You can get a shuttle through SAS from FLL to Miami for $15 each

8 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Personally I wouldn't rent a car unless I had sightseeing that I wanted to do. You can get a shuttle through SAS from FLL to Miami for $15 each

Our flight arrives in FFL at 9:00 am so we might have some time to kill to sight see and we're not exactly sure if the hotel will let us check in early. Also we might stop by a store and purchase the two bottles of wine that we are allowed to carry on to the ship. 

The downtown rental car lot can be swamped.  Consider dropping off people/luggage and then the car.  Miami Trolley (free) goes out to the cruise port.  We just got a shuttle from the hotel.  You might be able to drop the car at your hotel or one nearby.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:34 AM, luvsunnydaiz said:

Our flight arrives in FFL at 9:00 am so we might have some time to kill to sight see and we're not exactly sure if the hotel will let us check in early. Also we might stop by a store and purchase the two bottles of wine that we are allowed to carry on to the ship. 

We always rent from Dollar because of their shuttle service.  Just head to the ship (we usually go between 12 noon and 1:00m) and drop off all your checked luggage, and then off to the rental car center at MIA (airport).  After returning the car head upstairs to the top area and a shuttle will be waiting.  The driver will check your paper work to make sure you rented from the proper agency, and board the 12 -- 15 passenger van.  They will make stops at the appropriate piers.  Very easy and reliable.  We always tip the driver, as they usually help with any additional luggage you have.  About 20 minutes from MIA rental car center to the Miami cruise terminal.

After the cruise, you can do the reverse.  Head to the pick up area for your pier and the shuttle will pick you up and take you to the rental car center at MIA.  Just make sure you book the Cruise Ship pick up location on Dollar's website.  The are a couple of other agencies that use the shuttle, like Thrifty and maybe one other.

We've done this six or seven times and have four more bookings coming up this fall.  

Enjoy!

Kel

10 hours ago, kelmac said:

We always rent from Dollar because of their shuttle service.  Just head to the ship (we usually go between 12 noon and 1:00m) and drop off all your checked luggage, and then off to the rental car center at MIA (airport).  After returning the car head upstairs to the top area and a shuttle will be waiting.  The driver will check your paper work to make sure you rented from the proper agency, and board the 12 -- 15 passenger van.  They will make stops at the appropriate piers.  Very easy and reliable.  We always tip the driver, as they usually help with any additional luggage you have.  About 20 minutes from MIA rental car center to the Miami cruise terminal.

After the cruise, you can do the reverse.  Head to the pick up area for your pier and the shuttle will pick you up and take you to the rental car center at MIA.  Just make sure you book the Cruise Ship pick up location on Dollar's website.  The are a couple of other agencies that use the shuttle, like Thrifty and maybe one other.

We've done this six or seven times and have four more bookings coming up this fall.  

Enjoy!

Kel

Why go all the way back to the airport?

On 7/2/2019 at 11:01 AM, luvsunnydaiz said:

We’ve done it both ways and found it to be easier and faster returning the car at the south beach location and Uber to the port. The “port” rental location is extremely busy with both returns and people who just got off cruises picking up cars. 

On 7/4/2019 at 6:15 AM, cruisinfanatic said:

Why go all the way back to the airport?

It's free with your reservation.  We've used a taxi before, but that's over $20 + - with tip.  The downtown locations have a very limited car inventory and the wait downtown can be very long.