Spa questions - Volendam

Joyce36

I'm cruising to Alaska on the Volendam 9/4. I'm very tempted to get a spa pass but I've never been to a ship spa. It seems like a big commitment to get a pass for a week. Do you know if they have day passes, and how much they cost? 

Also, I'm a little wary of the water in the thermal pool - is it safe as far as bacteria goes? Has anyone has any problems?

Despite my fears, I'd love to spend time in the spa!

42 minutes ago, Joyce36 said:

I'm cruising to Alaska on the Volendam 9/4. I'm very tempted to get a spa pass but I've never been to a ship spa. It seems like a big commitment to get a pass for a week. Do you know if they have day passes, and how much they cost? 

Also, I'm a little wary of the water in the thermal pool - is it safe as far as bacteria goes? Has anyone has any problems?

Despite my fears, I'd love to spend time in the spa!

I have never had any qualms about the safety of the water in the pools of the Greenhouse Spa.  I have seen staff do chemical checks regularly on whichever ship I have sailed.

Please be aware that the pool in the Spa on the Volendam is just a hot tub.  It is NOT the same as the hydrotherapy pool that is on the larger ships.  I have tried a Greenhouse Spa on a ship that had this type.  My opinion:  been there, done that, and I won't spend the money for such again.  Nothing wrong with the hot tubs that are no cost and the additional benefits of the Spa's Thermal Suite, while nice and I do enjoy, are not worth spending extra $$ for such.

Others will disagree as I expect you will soon find out.

• Thanks 1

My husband and I were on the Volendam last week and used the spa every day.  The hot tub is small but we had it to ourselves most of the time since there were very few people, if any, using the spa on any given day or at any time.  We enjoyed the dry sauna (in the changing rooms), the two steam rooms, the showers, and really loved the heated loungers!  Every day the spa was clean and the staff was in there regularly.  We used towels to sit on the loungers and in the saunas. In addition, the views are wonderful from inside the spa.  The deck outside the spa was refreshingly cool and the scenery was beautiful.  I did notice that the people who bought their spa pass onboard the first day paid $189 for the week and we only paid $159 online before the cruise.

4 hours ago, mathed101 said:

My husband and I were on the Volendam last week and used the spa every day.  The hot tub is small but we had it to ourselves most of the time since there were very few people, if any, using the spa on any given day or at any time.  We enjoyed the dry sauna (in the changing rooms), the two steam rooms, the showers, and really loved the heated loungers!  Every day the spa was clean and the staff was in there regularly.  We used towels to sit on the loungers and in the saunas. In addition, the views are wonderful from inside the spa.  The deck outside the spa was refreshingly cool and the scenery was beautiful.  I did notice that the people who bought their spa pass onboard the first day paid $189 for the week and we only paid $159 online before the cruise.

Hi Mathed,

Were you on an inside passage cruise ? Where did you purchase your spa pass online ? 

is the hot tub the jacuzzi out by the lido pool or a separate one in the spa area ?  Thanks 

6 hours ago, mcgahrec said:

Hi Mathed,

Were you on an inside passage cruise ? Where did you purchase your spa pass online ? 

is the hot tub the jacuzzi out by the lido pool or a separate one in the spa area ?  Thanks 

It's not really a "hot tub", but it's the same size, however, as a regular "hot tub". The water is heated, but it's not a jaccuzi. It is NOT available to the "public" as are the ones by the lido pool! It is inside the spa, in the same room with the thermal loungers - and has an amazing, serene and gorgeous view out the front and starboard windows. Usually very "private". There are no jets (or if there are, they are very very weak), but it's a lovely hot soak in a lovely spa atmosphere. I love going from that "pool" to the thermal loungers,  and you can also use the steam room and sauna.  You do not need to purchase your pass online. Especially since you are new to the Greenhouse Spas, I suggest you head to the spa when you board, take the tour they will have going when you get there, and purchase on the spot if you decide it's what you want. They always have a deal for embarkation day, and it shouldn't be more than what you would pay online in advance, but I am not 100% sure about that.  I assume that if you buy online and decide not to use it you could get it refunded the first day, but not sure about that either...

Enjoy your cruise and the spa!!

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 1

Another thing to consider is if you book the spa pass online, your credit card will be charged immediately. If you book onboard, and you have any OBC, it will be applied to the pass, or you will pay at the end of the cruise as part of your OB bill. 

10 hours ago, mcgahrec said:

Hi Mathed,

Hi Mcgahrec,

Yes, we were on the inside passage cruise and it was fabulous!  I purchased the spa pass on the HAL website under the itinerary tab.  The hot tub is a separate one in the spa area and Moriah did a good job describing it as there are no jets that "bubble" the water, only jets that input hot water.  

There was no special price on embarkation day and the price was $189 per couple onboard and $159 online prior to the cruise.  I had to sign in at the spa desk the first day and indicate the payment as online.  On my shipboard account it was billed by the spa on embarkation day and then a credit was issued for the online payment.

5 hours ago, mathed101 said:

Hi Mcgahrec,

Yes, we were on the inside passage cruise and it was fabulous!  I purchased the spa pass on the HAL website under the itinerary tab.  The hot tub is a separate one in the spa area and Moriah did a good job describing it as there are no jets that "bubble" the water, only jets that input hot water.  

There was no special price on embarkation day and the price was $189 per couple onboard and $159 online prior to the cruise.  I had to sign in at the spa desk the first day and indicate the payment as online.  On my shipboard account it was billed by the spa on embarkation day and then a credit was issued for the online payment.

Ok I found the pass online in our account booking. So you found it worth while even though you would have had 3 days with Port stops where it might not have been used? Do you know if there were pay as you go options ?  

Can you have a glass of vino in the tub ??😉

9 hours ago, Moriah said:

It's not really a "hot tub", but it's the same size, however, as a regular "hot tub". The water is heated, but it's not a jaccuzi. It is NOT available to the "public" as are the ones by the lido pool! It is inside the spa, in the same room with the thermal loungers - and has an amazing, serene and gorgeous view out the front and starboard windows. Usually very "private". There are no jets (or if there are, they are very very weak), but it's a lovely hot soak in a lovely spa atmosphere. I love going from that "pool" to the thermal loungers,  and you can also use the steam room and sauna.  You do not need to purchase your pass online. Especially since you are new to the Greenhouse Spas, I suggest you head to the spa when you board, take the tour they will have going when you get there, and purchase on the spot if you decide it's what you want. They always have a deal for embarkation day, and it shouldn't be more than what you would pay online in advance, but I am not 100% sure about that.  I assume that if you buy online and decide not to use it you could get it refunded the first day, but not sure about that either...

Enjoy your cruise and the spa!!

Thanks for the description Moriah. 

4 minutes ago, mcgahrec said:

Ok I found the pass online in our account booking. So you found it worth while even though you would have had 3 days with Port stops where it might not have been used? Do you know if there were pay as you go options ?  

I love the spa on port days as well - the hours are long - I believe it's open until at least 8 in the evening and from 8 AM...   I have never seen anyone with a drink in the thermal spa, now that you mention it.  I'm assuming it's not allowed, but that's a good question. Yes, you can get daily passes to the spa, I believe $40 per day, and only if there is vacancy and they haven't oversold the week passes (rare that you wouldn't be able to get one though).

Edited by Moriah

Maybe I will email HAL and ask and also ask about refunding the pass if you don't use it. I am just wondering how I am going to fit in everything there is to experience on the cruise!

On 7/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, mcgahrec said:

We used it every day despite the days in Port, even the first night! Two of our port days did not start until later in the morning so we had room service out on the balcony and then went to the spa.  I don't know the pay as you go options but we felt it was worth ~$11/day.  We had our Tervis cups with us so we filled them up at the bar via the SBP and brought them in the tub (we had asked for permission to do so and it was granted).  We did this more than once....it was so lovely...totally worth every penny!😄

4 hours ago, mathed101 said:

We used it every day despite the days in Port, even the first night! Two of our port days did not start until later in the morning so we had room service out on the balcony and then went to the spa.  I don't know the pay as you go options but we felt it was worth ~$11/day.  We had our Tervis cups with us so we filled them up at the bar via the SBP and brought them in the tub (we had asked for permission to do so and it was granted).  We did this more than once....it was so lovely...totally worth every penny!😄

I had to google what was a Tervis cup! that's brill that we can bring a wine in - will have to get one or have some plastic glasses!

23 hours ago, mathed101 said:

We used it every day despite the days in Port, even the first night! Two of our port days did not start until later in 

Hi Mathed101

i was just wondering as you were so recently on the Volendam.. was this new Club orange thing happening ? 

(the website wouldn't let me PM you i didnt want to start a new thread)

Hi mcgahrec,

I am sorry to say but I don't know anything about Club Orange and I don't recall hearing anything about it.  If you have any other questions, you are more than welcome to post them here and I will see if I can answer them.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't think that new club orange was on the Volendam yet.

Did you watch the sail away from your balcony or the bow of the ship ? Just wondering about the best place to take it all in :)

We watched the sail away from the aft Lido deck.  They played music, had appetizers, drinks, and photographers.  It was a great place to be!  As soon as we heard the announcements we went there to get a good spot.  I did go up to the front to take some pictures but otherwise the aft was a good place to be.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mcgahrec said:

Hi Mathed101

i was just wondering as you were so recently on the Volendam.. was this new Club orange thing happening ? 

(the website wouldn't let me PM you i didnt want to start a new thread)

Club Orange hasn't come to the smaller ships yet.  I kind of wish it wouldn't.. but I guess it's inevitable. 

9 hours ago, mathed101 said:

We watched the sail away from the aft Lido deck.  They played music, had appetizers, drinks, and photographers.  It was a great place to be!  As soon as we heard the announcements we went there to get a good spot.  I did go up to the front to take some pictures but otherwise the aft was a good place to be.

Just want to add my additional 2 cents to this - I completely agree the sailaway is the most fun from the Sea View area on the Lido deck.  I always head there after the Muster Drill.  Views in three directions, including the wake, which for some reason is always exciting for me!  Enjoy!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moriah said:

Just want to add my additional 2 cents to this - I completely agree the sailaway is the most fun from the Sea View area on the Lido deck.  I always head there after the Muster Drill.  Views in three directions, including the wake, which for some reason is always exciting for me!  Enjoy!

Cool thanks for that, I was looking up pictures of the seaview pool area on the Volendam.