Alaska cabin position?

theEvilQueen2

Which is the best side to be on for an Alaskan cruise? We're looking at the one way, Seward to Vancouver (or the other way). So should we book a cabin that will face east (land) or west (sea) to optimize possible whale spotting? 

Thank you.

6 hours ago, theEvilQueen2 said:

Which is the best side to be on for an Alaskan cruise? We're looking at the one way, Seward to Vancouver (or the other way). So should we book a cabin that will face east (land) or west (sea) to optimize possible whale spotting? 

Thank you.

Best is aft that way you can see both sides.  Wildlife moves and you may miss it by only being on one side especially if you are doing a cruise which goes back the same way. 

Edited by dkjretired

You are either close to land in the Inside Passage, where it is equally good on both sides, or you are far enough away that you can't see land anyway (in most cases).  This applies to sailing.  Sometimes you have better positions in port (facing the sea versus the town) but ships dock differently sometimes so you can never be assured of the docking position.

10 hours ago, Pushka said:

I’ve just returned from Alaska but not on Celebrity. I don’t think it makes any difference. Whales can pop up randomly but the best places are the excursions you book. 

I would normally agree with you.  Until our last sailing that is.  We were in Icy Strait Point and whales were swimming all around right off our balcony!  We literally had better views than the people who paid big $$ for excursions.  I would, however, recommend an excursion for anyone who has never done Alaska before - almost guaranteed to see some whales.

18 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I would normally agree with you.  Until our last sailing that is.  We were in Icy Strait Point and whales were swimming all around right off our balcony!  We literally had better views than the people who paid big $$ for excursions.  I would, however, recommend an excursion for anyone who has never done Alaska before - almost guaranteed to see some whales.

It’s funny. We heard a similar story from someone who had paid a lot of money to go on a bear watch excursion. They searched for a couple of hours and found nothing. They returned to the car park ready to go back to the ship and there of course, was the bear they had spent so much money searching for. I think this was in Valdez maybe? 

Thank you all for the input. Since it didn't matter as far as spotting marine life, I booked based on distance from the Spa. Deck 9, fore.

FYI, Celebrity is having an amazing sale. I booked an Aqua class, 4 perks included, so with all that it's almost like being all inclusive. This would usually be above my price point. Booze and a steak upgrade, DH is very pleased.

Happy cruising. 

While the view is good on both sides, in Alaska we highly prefer to face the mainland where (some days) you can see huge snow-covered mountains from your bed.  Going South, that would be the port side.  Enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, moneeman said:

While the view is good on both sides, in Alaska we highly prefer to face the mainland where (some days) you can see huge snow-covered mountains from your bed.  Going South, that would be the port side.  Enjoy your cruise.

I booked starboard out of habit, but I think you're right. I may need to call CS and change that.