Amsterdam 7/8/19 Sailing

Thanks, doing much better.  I still have to download the pictures and pictures from my slr camera and I'll be sure to post those as well as the video of how to access the forward decks.  The Amsterdam has excellent forward and aft deck mobility.

• Thanks 1

And here is the last detailed blog post.  I have more photos coming soon, a video, and another video showing how to access the bow and forward decks on the Amsterdam, as well as the Rotterdam, Volendam, and Zaandam.

https://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2019/07/alaska-cruise-day-6-and-7-and-8-at-sea.html

Thanks again for sharing all the info on your blog.  We'll be boarding her in only 9 SLEEPS!!  🤩

We're doing the exact same thing flying home, also to DIA - Port Valet, 2 free bags with our United Explorer card, 11:10 AM flight.  So what time did you arrange for your car to pick you up and what time did you actually disembark?  How were the TSA lines at that time of the morning on a Monday?  And was your luggage on the regular carousel at DIA or behind them?

Thanks again!  Barb

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Thanks again for sharing all the info on your blog.  We'll be boarding her in only 9 SLEEPS!!  🤩

We're doing the exact same thing flying home, also to DIA - Port Valet, 2 free bags with our United Explorer card, 11:10 AM flight.  So what time did you arrange for your car to pick you up and what time did you actually disembark?  How were the TSA lines at that time of the morning on a Monday?  And was your luggage on the regular carousel at DIA or behind them?

Thanks again!  Barb

I had a reservation at 8:15, and our disembark group was 8am.  Because we had kids, we probably walked off around 810 and was curbside by 815.  I called the service and they were there in 5 minutes or less.  In hindsight, a taxi would have been less (we paid 84 with tip) and taxis were readily available given that there was just 1 ship and it's smaller.  

At SeaTac, go to checkpoint 1 if you have precheck, it was a 60 second wait for us.  Checkpoint 2 was a bit longer but we were waiting for someone else in our party that didn't have precheck and took the HAL transfer which they wait to fill the whole bus.  For 4 of us, the transfer would have been $120 or more.  I think he waiting for 10 mins in the regular tsa line.  SeaTac has an app you can download that gives current checkpoint estimates.

Our bags were on the carousel in Denver.  Fortunately everything worked like clockwork.  And having breakfast in the dining room at 7am on disembarkation morning was a restful way to start the day.  Have a great trip.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Thanks for the review.  Glad you had such a memorable trip aboard a lovely ship.  DH and I did this trip in 2014 B2B and loved the Amsterdam.  I hope HAL sticks with the new blue bag design; it's very elegant.

I don't recall being on such a well maintained ship in over 40 cruises.  Possibly the perfect ship for alaska from a mainstream cruise perspective.  Much of our group enjoyed the cruise...but now, a week later I'm hearing from the group how much they really really enjoyed the trip and believe the Amsterdam was a huge part of that.

I guess the folks that have been on her 'get it'