Amsterdam 7/8/19 Sailing

We are sitting on the plane getting ready to head to the Amsterdam, but not without a few stops on the way.  First stop will be a 24 tour in Portland to visit friends and enjoy the city of Roses.  On Saturday we will drive to the eastside suburbs of Seattle to spend 2 more days visiting friends and places we used to frequent when we lived there.  Finally on Monday I'll drop my wife and kids off at the terminal while I return the rental car and then our official voyage on the Amsterdam will begin!

I will be following along as my daughter and father are going to be on your cruise as well.  This will be my father's first cruise ever.  My daughter has cruised before, but for both it will be first time to Alaska.  Unfortunately my daughter is currently has some mobility issues - a fx ankle with a couple of screws resulting in no weight bearing - but she'll have her knee scooter with her - so if you see a 30 something with a knee scooter and her grandfather - you tell her mom will be checking out your blog to travel along.

I'll be in this cruise as well! I'll be with my mom and my 3 youngest kids. 10 year old boy/girl twins and my 14yo daughter.  It's our 4th time to Alaska, and 3rd time on the Amsterdam. We did 14 days last September and my kids were the only ones in the ship. I hope there are more this time. 😂

Hope you have a wonderful time. Looking forward to your posts. We will be on the Amsterdam in September. If you happen to be in an oceanview stateroom would you please let us know the location of the electric outlets? My husband uses a CPAP machine so the location of the outlets is a big concern. I've also read there is a usb outlet/slot by the bed.  Could you confirm that? Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Mamascott said:

I'll be in this cruise as well! I'll be with my mom and my 3 youngest kids. 10 year old boy/girl twins and my 14yo daughter.  It's our 4th time to Alaska, and 3rd time on the Amsterdam. We did 14 days last September and my kids were the only ones in the ship. I hope there are more this time. 😂

What a wonderful way to spend time as a family.  It's rare for children to be on the "longer" cruises (longer than one week), so there may not be many this time either, but hopefully they won't be the ONLY ones.  In September most kids are in school.  This time it's August so there will be at least a few I reckon. At least they have each other! 🙂

Edited by Moriah

4 hours ago, BuddyBee said:

Hope you have a wonderful time. Looking forward to your posts. We will be on the Amsterdam in September. If you happen to be in an oceanview stateroom would you please let us know the location of the electric outlets? My husband uses a CPAP machine so the location of the outlets is a big concern. I've also read there is a usb outlet/slot by the bed.  Could you confirm that? Thanks in advance.

I was on Amsterdam last summer in an OV cabin, and the only outlet was on the desk. Actually there are two, side by side, on the desk, and one is a European (two round holes) outlet, and one is North American. There is no USB port anywhere in the cabin - Amsterdam is an older ship.  You may have been reading about one of the very new ships. You can get a European adapter head, which will make it possible for you to have the machine and also a device to charge or whatever else at the same time. 

Edited by Moriah

Well after a day in Portland and 2 in Seattle, we boarded the Amsterdam today and she's in very good condition.  I'll be writing more detailed reviews over the next day or two, but I'll clarify that, at least in our cabin, either HAL or the previous cruiser left a multi-outlet.  And I can also say that HAL still provides a tote on the Amsterdam.  I'm here to answer any other questions.

13 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Photos I forgot to attach.

IMG_20190708_192646732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190708_130611154.jpg

IMG_20190708_193945840.jpg

Loved the photo of the Promenade Deck.  It features highly in my excited imaginings of my cruise on Amsterdam next month. And this tote bag looks a little different than what I've gotten before. Thanks SO much for this thread. Keep enjoying every second!

If it was the first day, the chairs may have been put up for the muster drill. The blue bag looks nice, and different from the ones I have gotten before. I will be on the Amsterdam the end of the month. 

Have fun and I'm looking forward to following your trip. 

Edited by lindaler
correction

If you can make the picture cruisingrob21 took of the lower promenade larger, you will see someone sitting in a lounge chair. There were plenty of available chairs when we were on Amsterdam in early June, especially since it was so cold not many people used them. Some of the favorites were on the aft of the lower promenade deck, out of the wind and in partial sun.

20190609_100638.thumb.jpg.367d681c80fdd00fe5155bf7ea2aef03.jpg

20190609_102021.thumb.jpg.ee6c4af905ee8e4f3940ba374e3bd194.jpg