Unscientific Men's Dress Poll on First Formal Night

5 minutes ago, jls30087 said:

John, next formal night, find any one of us who tied his own tie and I’m sure he’ll be glad to help out😀

Years ago I was approached by a couple who said that it was the man’s first time in a tux. They wanted to know what to do with those “little black things” that came with the shirt. 

Right there, in the middle of the Centrum I taught them both how to wear studs. I take the risk of speaking for all of us in saying that we welcome all to the formal wear club and are very happy to share.  😀

You can certainly speak for me in that regard!

(I still shudder at the  memory of one formal night when a man (l intentionally omit the "gentle.." prefix) stood at the doors of the MDR in shorts, t shirt, flip-flops and back to front cap loudly sneering at those of us who chose to dress formally, calling us "stoopid sheep".  He stated, several times, " it's my vacation, l paid [expletive deleted] good money for it, and no [expletive deleted] is gonna tell me what to wear")

• Like 1

Did our first ever cruise this May (booked a further 3 as we enjoyed it so much) and enjoyed seeing all the smartly dressed guest on one of the formal nights. My wife and I did not dress up and we were enjoying a few drinks in the English/Irish type bar (on the Anthem) when a gent walked in wearing the full highland regalia including a long feather in his hat.

Since my wife and I both come from Scotland, I decided to compliment gent on his outfit and at same time asked him if he was also from Scotland. He said no, he was from USA. Since many people from the USA have Scottish heritage, I asked him if this was the case with him.

He said he had no Scottish links and his family were all from Ireland. I then asked him why he was dressed as a Scotsman if his family were all from Ireland - he said it “was better than dressing as a leprechaun”.

it was good he had a sense of humour and he was drinking Scottish Whisky. 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

You can certainly speak for me in that regard!

(I still shudder at the  memory of one formal night when a man (l intentionally omit the "gentle.." prefix) stood at the doors of the MDR in shorts, t shirt, flip-flops and back to front cap loudly sneering at those of us who chose to dress formally, calling us "stoopid sheep".  He stated, several times, " it's my vacation, l paid [expletive deleted] good money for it, and no [expletive deleted] is gonna tell me what to wear")

It is truly amazing how sanctimonious the slobs can get... 🙂