Unscientific Men's Dress Poll on First Formal Night

Since the issue of what men should wear on formal nights is a question many of us had prior to cruising, I thought I would do an informal poll of what men were wearing on June 24th on The Allure's first formal night.  My observation was done from 7:05 to 7:10 pm in the American Icon Dining Lobby as main seating passengers were leaving and Mytime diners were arriving.  5 men wore full suits, 7 men were waring sport coats and ties, 15 men were wearing sport coats without ties, 19 men were wearing nice shirts and pants,  1 older man was in sloppy shorts and a tee-shirt.  I didn't count the boys.  But, I did see several young boys (5-7) in nice shorts and shirts as well as long pants...none were in suits.  I did not see any men in formal tuxes.  Please keep in mind that this was just a small sampling done during the time we were waiting for a table.   During casual nights, men wore shorts as well as long pants to the dining room.   A few men on casual nights were wearing sports jackets.  On formal nights, the ladies were dressed in everything from long evening gowns to simple sun dresses.   I hope this post doesn't turn into the usual debate about dress codes.  I simply posted to give folks a snapshot to what folks were wearing at a particular time on a particular cruise.  

The only time in my personal life I ever do shirt/tie is weddings and funerals....and for the most part....even then....the last wedding I went to was a 'farm wedding' so I didn't wear it then either.

I wear Polo and jeans on the rare occasion I travel to an office and interact with clients/colleagues....so that's pretty much the best the boat gets out of me 😉

• Like 4

Poll results seem about right.  Since these aren't "formal nights" any more.  Elegant casual,  most of what the men were wearing would fit the norm conventions.  Not sure how the "old man" in tee and sloppy shorts got in , but there's always some "rebels" around.:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

Since the issue of what men should wear on formal nights is a question many of us had prior to cruising, I thought I would do an informal poll of what men were wearing on June 24th on The Allure's first formal night.  My observation was done from 7:05 to 7:10 pm in the American Icon Dining Lobby as main seating passengers were leaving and Mytime diners were arriving.  5 men wore full suits, 7 men were waring sport coats and ties, 15 men were wearing sport coats without ties, 19 men were wearing nice shirts and pants,  1 older man was in sloppy shorts and a tee-shirt.  I didn't count the boys.  But, I did see several young boys (5-7) in nice shorts and shirts as well as long pants...none were in suits.  I did not see any men in formal tuxes.  Please keep in mind that this was just a small sampling done during the time we were waiting for a table.   During casual nights, men wore shorts as well as long pants to the dining room.   A few men on casual nights were wearing sports jackets.  On formal nights, the ladies were dressed in everything from long evening gowns to simple sun dresses.   I hope this post doesn't turn into the usual debate about dress codes.  I simply posted to give folks a snapshot to what folks were wearing at a particular time on a particular cruise.  

Whatever you posted, the font you are using, Comic Sans is unreadable on an iPhone or iPad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hubby has a blast dressing up. He has acquired some new suits for cruising. 

The first one being a tropical print with flamingos (me in a pink dress,white shawl with flamingos,flamingo pocket book. And dare i say white flipflops with flamingos) His latest suit has a print of $100 bills all over it, I've been instructed to get an emerald green gown to match him. His suits are bought at Kohls. And yes we have outfits and wigs for 70's nite. Life too short, we like yo have fun and don't take ourselves to serious. 

I find with our upbeat outfits we are less likely to change right after dinner, as most do in their formal attire. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nashna said:

Please repost in a font and color some of us can read. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, suesnake2002 said:

Hubby has a blast dressing up. He has acquired some new suits for cruising. 

The first one being a tropical print with flamingos (me in a pink dress,white shawl with flamingos,flamingo pocket book. And dare i say white flipflops with flamingos) His latest suit has a print of $100 bills all over it, I've been instructed to get an emerald green gown to match him. His suits are bought at Kohls. And yes we have outfits and wigs for 70's nite. Life too short, we like yo have fun and don't take ourselves to serious. 

I find with our upbeat outfits we are less likely to change right after dinner, as most do in their formal attire. 

I love his style!  Does he have one for Christmas, too?

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

Please repost in a font and color some of us can read. 

• Like 2

I (48 y/o man) have gone from wearing a dark suit & tie to a nice sport coat and open collar dark shirt with dark pants on formal nights on North American sailings.  It's more comfortable and my SO says it looks great.  For European cruises I still wear the suit.  Thanks for posting your observations, I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

Yes he has a light up christmas suit. 

We meet nice couple from our area also had a light up Christmas suite , very cool. I cruised with tux about 50 times from mid 80’s till a year or so ago, now just bring sport jacket. 

• Like 1

I have always worn a tux for first, second and third formal nights on all of our cruises, except one. 

We had a short three day cruise, and I did not think they would have a formal night for such a short cruise with no sea days.  There were probably more tuxes on that short cruise, than many of the longer ones we have been on. 

I have yet to find a good excuse not to take it.  In fact, it is packed for our 14 day Mediterranean cruise next week.  And yes, all the formal wear, shoes, casual clothes, and everything else we need fits in two bags that weigh less than 50 pounds each.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nashna said:

Since the issue of what men should wear on formal nights is a question many of us had prior to cruising, I thought I would do an informal poll of what men were wearing on June 24th on The Allure's first formal night.  

Thanks for changing the font. Your results jibe with what I have seen on Royal Caribbean the last few years on Caribbean itineraries. Might be slightly different on European itineraries. 

Hubs wears a silk Tommy Bahama camp shirt with khakis on almost all our cruises unless it is Europe.  Then a sport coat with no tie with khakis. When we are on the QM2 the dress code is quite strict so it is an Armani black suit and tie.  He refuses to wear a tux and is not a particulary happy camper about the suit, but he has no choice if he doesn’t want to eat in the buffet.  He has a large collection of the TB silk shirts and brings 5 or 6 on cruises.   

Mary Ann

I didn't wear a tie when I went to work, I don't wear a tie to church and I don't wear a tie to a funeral unless it is a very close relative. So I am not wearing a tie on a cruise ship. Haven't had a problem on any ship so far and don't expect to. However I did follow the tie and jacket rule when it was enforced.

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my wardrobe for my next cruise!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGWJW9U/ref=twister_B01GGWJRM2?th=1&psc=1

Absolutely. I've seen a Christmas version for the last couple years. If I could squeeze into one, i'd be right there with you. For anyone over 6', the sleeves are too short. 

Edited by neverbeenhere