Unscientific Men's Dress Poll on First Formal Night

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Whatever you posted, the font you are using, Comic Sans is unreadable on an iPhone or iPad. 

Agree...let's take an unscientific poll on that :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Agree...let's take an unscientific poll on that :classic_rolleyes:

Suesnake2002 wins the unscientific poll hands down.  That suit is pure fun cruise attire. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Please repost in a font and color some of us can read. 

Not necessary at this point...is it ??

Her other posts aren't this color/font...guess this one was special :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

We do formal, we rarely do anything formal these days and so formal Night is a nice time to do it without it unrelated to business or charity (requiring random chit chat). DH wears his USMC evening dress, a dark suit or a tux. In fact it’s our 15th anniversary and without another idea I am going with a new tuxedo and the works (new shoes, etc etc). Shhhhhh don’t tell, we head to shop tomorrow and he has no idea! 

• Like 1

The poll data seems about right. On one of our recent cruises on the Allure, we also did an informal poll on formal night because there were no tuxes anywhere in our part of the MDR. Probably could suit & ties on one hand. A few more sports coats, and mostly dress shirts, Hawaiian shirts, and polo shirts. A few shorts, but not that many. A Hawaiian shirt, dockers, and boat shoes are the new definition of Formal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Hubby has a blast dressing up. He has acquired some new suits for cruising. 

The first one being a tropical print with flamingos (me in a pink dress,white shawl with flamingos,flamingo pocket book. And dare i say white flipflops with flamingos) His latest suit has a print of $100 bills all over it, I've been instructed to get an emerald green gown to match him. His suits are bought at Kohls. And yes we have outfits and wigs for 70's nite. Life too short, we like yo have fun and don't take ourselves to serious. 

I find with our upbeat outfits we are less likely to change right after dinner, as most do in their formal attire. 

I saw those suits at Kohl’s and wondered who would buy them..well now I know someone sailing on a cruise.

• Like 1

Wife and I find any excuse to dress up. Therefore, for me it’s full tux, pleated shirt, hand-tied bow tie,, patent leather shoes. (I rented a tux on one cruise, to save space in the luggage, but didn’t like the fit, so I’ve packed my own ever since). 

1 hour ago, jls30087 said:

Wife and I find any excuse to dress up. Therefore, for me it’s full tux, pleated shirt, hand-tied bow tie,, patent leather shoes. (I rented a tux on one cruise, to save space in the luggage, but didn’t like the fit, so I’ve packed my own ever since). 

Me too! I have both the traditional black tux and the tropical ivory tux. I wear the black with a tux waistcoat ('vest' for our American friends) first night, ivory for second formal night and black minus the waistcoat but plus cummerbund for the third.

DW has a variety of gowns and dresses for the formal nights.

4 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Me too! I have both the traditional black tux and the tropical ivory tux. Iwear the black with a tux waistcoat ('vest' for our American friends) first night, ivory for second formal night and black minus the waistcoat but plus cummerbund for the third.

DW has a variety of gowns and dresses for the formal nights.

Gentlemen look smashing in their tuxes.  Keep wearing them with pride!

• Like 1

John I've seen that pic when posted. I told hubby they stole his suit lol. 

Sancho and jls, we were on a 12 day cruise this past april. They only had 2 formal nites, so our table decided to add a third one. We had a few people in a panic waiting to enter dinning room. They thought it was an official formal nite. Lol

7 hours ago, jls30087 said:

I still need to learn how to tie a bow tie

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2019 at 8:34 AM, Nashna said:

Since the issue of what men should wear on formal nights is a question many of us had prior to cruising, I thought I would do an informal poll of what men were wearing on June 24th on The Allure's first formal night.  My observation was done from 7:05 to 7:10 pm in the American Icon Dining Lobby as main seating passengers were leaving and Mytime diners were arriving.  5 men wore full suits, 7 men were waring sport coats and ties, 15 men were wearing sport coats without ties, 19 men were wearing nice shirts and pants,  1 older man was in sloppy shorts and a tee-shirt.  I didn't count the boys.  But, I did see several young boys (5-7) in nice shorts and shirts as well as long pants...none were in suits.  I did not see any men in formal tuxes.  Please keep in mind that this was just a small sampling done during the time we were waiting for a table.   During casual nights, men wore shorts as well as long pants to the dining room.   A few men on casual nights were wearing sports jackets.  On formal nights, the ladies were dressed in everything from long evening gowns to simple sun dresses.   I hope this post doesn't turn into the usual debate about dress codes.  I simply posted to give folks a snapshot to what folks were wearing at a particular time on a particular cruise.  

I actually am more interested in enjoying my vacation by exploring ports and relaxing then researching evening wear on a ship. 

9 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

That was totally uncalled for.

13 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I actually am more interested in enjoying my vacation by exploring ports and relaxing then researching evening wear on a ship. 

Thank you.  I thought I made it clear that we were in the lobby waiting for our table.  The five minute wait was made rather entertaining by the "count".   I am always amused by the negativity of some people on CC.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I still need to learn how to tie a bow tie

John, next formal night, find any one of us who tied his own tie and I’m sure he’ll be glad to help out😀

Years ago I was approached by a couple who said that it was the man’s first time in a tux. They wanted to know what to do with those “little black things” that came with the shirt. 

Right there, in the middle of the Centrum I taught them both how to wear studs. I take the risk of speaking for all of us in saying that we welcome all to the formal wear club and are very happy to share.  😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1