New to cruising, need help

I went on one cruise, 18 years ago, when I was married. Happily divorced now, and looking to take myself and my 2 kids (11 year old boy, 16 year old girl) on a cruise for Spring Break 2020.

I have been researching cruise lines, ships, and to be honest, I am a bit overwhelmed as to the options. I am not looking for the cheapest cruise, but not looking to break the bank. Of what I am looking at, a 7 night on royals oasis ships, price wise, is doable, if that helps people understand my budget.

So, the question is... what line, what ship, do people suggest. Waterslides are a must, my kids love the water, and basically all the activities on all the larger ships look great, there is nothing they would be afraid of or not do.

For those to travel with teens/tweens frequently, what ships have you had a good time on. I want my kids to have a blast, and as  single dad, I want to have a good time to. A large amount of time will be spent with my kids, but not opposed to hearing what ships are better for mingling, meeting people to have drinks with, etc.

Also, a big thing to note, myself and my kids are big on "go go go". Odds are we might eat in the dining room ones or twice, but we likely will opt for faster options to get in more fun time. Looking for opinions on which ships have better quick counter service options, ideal poolside options if available. I'd rather grab a slice or a burger pool side than spend 2 hours in a dining room with a fancy menu. We love good food, but not at the expense of fun time.

Ive been looking at the Oasis class RC ships, also some of the other ones that have been recently updated, as well as some of the larger Norwegian ships, also not opposed to a Carnival cruise. I was looking at Vista reviews, but I hear that ships been having problems.

Also, we'd be sailing out of one of the gulf of mexico area ports, so, Galveston, NO, or somewhere in florida. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

*edit*: also forgot to ask, is the alcohol drink package worth the price if I would expect to consume 5ish drink per day? What is the price per beer or mixed drink typically without said package?

Edited by jrobertson82

And know that you might see less of your kids than you plan if they join a kids program (I recommend it). I believe the two will be in different age groups, but my kids loved them and made many new friends. If you choose to give them a chance, I suggest you sign up and get the ball rolling on day number one. It can be tough after the groups have formed.

Have a wonderful time making memories!

On 7/3/2019 at 4:07 PM, jrobertson82 said:

Ive been looking at the Oasis class RC ships, also some of the other ones that have been recently updated, as well as some of the larger Norwegian ships, also not opposed to a Carnival cruise. I was looking at Vista reviews, but I hear that ships been having problems.

...*edit*: also forgot to ask, is the alcohol drink package worth the price if I would expect to consume 5ish drink per day? What is the price per beer or mixed drink typically without said package?

If you go with Royal Caribbean, once you have your booking, watch the Beverage Package(s) like a hawk. You can book when you see a good price, and cancel and re-book if it goes even further down. I once cancelled and rebooked three times in one afternoon-evening! 

Once you have chosen a cruiseline, head over to the line's board on CC and browse or ask about bar-menu prices -- someone has usually posted a recent one.

Most lines if one person gets the beverage package, everyone in the cabin must also -- if you get the alcoholic pkg, those underage will need to get the non-alcoholic one, so figure that in.