Denver to New York Airport and Hotel help

jiminyC_fan

Hi everyone,

I am "usually" very good at figuring things out but New York  has me totally baffled.   We have never been to New York.  We are cruising on Disney and flying out of Denver to New York.  Our cruise departs from Manhattan Terminal.  What airport is the best to fly into?  I noticed two choices when checking with United and it seemed La Guardia and EWR.   Disney uses the Marriott Marquis for their pre stays and I just checked and one night is 450.00.  I could pay 1066.00 for two nights through Disney and also get transfers from airport to hotel to port.  It just seems so steep.  Is there a better option for hotels maybe around the Manhattan terminal or do you think the Disney option would be the way to go?  I did read on this forum about Carmel limo service so that can be an option if we don't stay at the Marriott Marquis.   We are not all that familiar with Uber, Lyft and taxi's.

Sorry for all my questions.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much for your time.

The Marriott is a huge hotel , I think there are many other better options, taxi or Uber from hotel to port should only be about ten dollars so I wouldn’t worry about that, Uber is a great option for traveling around nyc. Our favorite hotel is really nice, the michealanglo in perfect location not too far from Marriott but it’s really elegant. 

Lots of other hotels in area. LaGuardia is a better option but it has issues. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jiminyC_fan said:

Hi everyone,

I am "usually" very good at figuring things out but New York  has me totally baffled.   We have never been to New York.  We are cruising on Disney and flying out of Denver to New York.  Our cruise departs from Manhattan Terminal.  What airport is the best to fly into?  I noticed two choices when checking with United and it seemed La Guardia and EWR.   Disney uses the Marriott Marquis for their pre stays and I just checked and one night is 450.00.  I could pay 1066.00 for two nights through Disney and also get transfers from airport to hotel to port.  It just seems so steep.  Is there a better option for hotels maybe around the Manhattan terminal or do you think the Disney option would be the way to go?  I did read on this forum about Carmel limo service so that can be an option if we don't stay at the Marriott Marquis.   We are not all that familiar with Uber, Lyft and taxi's.

Sorry for all my questions.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much for your time.

What are the exact dates you need a hotel?  How many people?  Bed size requirements?  What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?  Hotel budget for 2 nights less than $1066?  Any favorite hotel chains?

IMO no need to stay near the Manhattan terminal.  Anywhere in midtown west will be fine.  Book a car service from the airport to the hotel, but no reason not to use a cab in Manhattan to go to the port.

• Like 2

Carol's hit the big questions. You have a lot of options, depending on dates, and your comfort level. If you're spending two nights, as Carol asked, what do you want to see and do?

One big thing to consider is to not fixate on the airport, yet. NYC is a total cost comparison. If the fare is "cheap" enough into Newark, it may make sense to fly to Newark, although it will be less convenient. I'm going to assume Disney uses the Marquis for a number of reasons. It's big. As in huge. It's in Times Square, which seems attractive to tourists, and, bluntly, it's close to a huge Disney Store, ESPN, and ABC News (all of which are Disney businesses). It's literally surrounded by the Mouse, including the aggressive costumed types in Times Square.

If you're booking through United, and especially if you're a MileagePlus member and Marriott (Bonvoy) member, you can book Marriott properties through United, sometimes at decent rates. If you're AAA, AARP, "senior", or a government employee,  you may find a better rate, and just by joining Bonvoy (if you're not a member), there are frequently member rates. I personally find AAA to be the "best" rate in Manhattan, especially on weekends.

So, when are you going to be there and what do you want to do in the city? I'm going to be surprised if this board can't come up with alternatives to the pricing you're seeing at the Marquis.

• Like 1

Check some hotels in your budget range .... but remember cheaper may be lower quality. Then check TripAdvisor for comments about the possible choice. Also, I believe La Guardia is a good choice of airport with a number of options to reach your hotel, taxi, car service such as Dial 7,  Uber, etc. The packages offered by the airline and the cruise line may be the easiest but not the most cost effective. 

• Like 1

Denver and Newark are both big United hubs so you will have the most choices of flights  going to EWR.   From Newark airpot you can just hop the NJ Transit train right into NY Penn station for $13 ($9 for seniors and children) from there there are a million hotels in the Penn Station (Madison Square garden)/Time Square area.  Either a short walk or quick taxi ride to the hotel. (or depending on where your hotel is the subway is an option).    Once there a quick subway ride is about the best and easiest (IMO) way to get around the area to see the sights. Cruise day...a quick cab ride to the pier form whatever hotel you end up at.   If you have never been to the city, definitely stay in the Time Square/Penn Station area to experience it at least once. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  We are two adults and really don't care if the room has one or two beds.  The dates would be Nov 8 and 9.  I have zero clue what to see and do.  I am a Marriott member but didn't know to combine the two, United and Marriott.  Will check that out.  Tried the senior discount and got the quote of 450.00 per night.  VERY interesting as to why Disney probably chooses the Marquis.  I will look for more options for midtown. We aren't the Motel 6 kind of people but not the high end hotel kind either.  Would consider more average like Embassy suites.  I am just not familiar at all with New York.

Thanks again!

Just did a Marriott search for your dates centered on Penn Station. There’s a SpringHill Suites near Penn Station (South of Times Square and near all the subway lines) for $246/night plus tax. Cancellable. Check it out. Not a perfect location, but good. That gives me hope for options in other chains as well. Book a cancellable rate soon and keep checking. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, markeb said:

Just did a Marriott search for your dates centered on Penn Station. There’s a SpringHill Suites near Penn Station (South of Times Square and near all the subway lines) for $246/night plus tax. Cancellable. Check it out. Not a perfect location, but good. That gives me hope for options in other chains as well. Book a cancellable rate soon and keep checking. 

JiminyC_fan - That sounds good.  I did the same thing for a precruise next Feb - checked Marriott and got a great deal on the Element, which is in the same area.  I’m coming in by train and know I can walk to my hotel.  If you fly into EWR and can manage your luggage, you can take the NJ Transit train to Penn Station for $13/pp or the airport bus to Port Authority Bus terminal for $18/pp and be really close to your hotel.  Airport bus is also available from LGA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Check out Spring Hill Suites by Marriott near LGA -- terrific Senior rate!

That might be a reasonable option for someone arriving late in the day and only planning to catch their cruise the next morning. The OP is going to be in town two nights and presumably wants to see part of Manhattan. I'd be hard pressed to recommend staying in Queens under those circumstances, and EWR may prove to be the "best" airport for United direct from Denver.

• Like 2

SpringHill Suites near LGA, being a local nearby, not recommended - it's new & nice, on Northern Blvd & 112th Street, close to CitiField - but a long, long 8 city blocks from the one & only, nearest subway line - the #7 from nearby downtown Flushing to the Jacob J. Convention Center (extended from Times Square, Manhattan) ... with the proposed LGA AirTrain extension in 2022 or about.  

Good for evening/late night arrival & sailing the next day from the cruise piers - not good if one plans to sightsee or explore Manhattan as a visitor/tourist ... pretty long commute/travel time.  

Yes, nice last-minute deals "can" be found using one's preferred booking engine, beddings for 4 or more, etc. and it runs a free shuttle to/from LGA during airport hours (although, the wait can be 15 to 30 minutes due to route, traffic delays & routing ... as hotel can be difficult to find/get to, unless the driver is familiar with this area, nice views of the Flushing Bay & Tennis Center, etc.)   

• Like 2

Thanks, Markeb and mking8288, for your insights -- I just thought that the rate and the proximity to LGA (and the free shuttle) might be of interest to someone coming in from the West -- probably at best an early evening arrival.  I see your point about its not being close to Manhattan and most of the NYC sights.

• Thanks 1

@IRMO12HD - SpringHill can be an option for some cruisers, especially if they can redeem/earn points or have brand affinity.  It is nice as extended family stayed there for 3 nights, visiting this past winter & scored a great price - under $200 per suite per night, taxes included with discounts applied ... not much more than the Best Western, Quality/Comfort Inn or Fairfield by Marriott, all no more than 10 minutes further toward downtown Flushing, or the Red Roof Inn (yike !!) 

I did a quick lookup for this weekend, prices are mad crazy high - nearby Sheraton & Hyatt Place (4 stars) are less at $300 per night - always use Google Map or equivalent for a virtual view of its location & whereabout - ads & promo of locations can be sometimes misleading.  

The 2 months busy window from late August thru early November is peak hotel season for pricing in NYC ... Google, TripAdvisor it, use PL, Hot*, Kay* or Tri* and other popular online search engine to look for deals, as well as hotel chain's own site to compare prices & deals.  

• Like 2