Ocean Medallion Coverage In Cruise Travel Magazine;

SargassoPirate

19 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Princess had our Social Security numbers? Really?  What for?  I don't recall ever providing them with my Social Security number.

Fake news.

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Not sure why people get paranoid with the medallion program.  Disney does same thing at their parks.  Hotels have all your info too; .  Cruise lines; more specifically Princess did not pioneer the spying game.  Most of this can be tracked back to Sep 11, 2001.  This changed the game for who gets tracked and it will be that way from now on.  Have a great day and have fun out there on the ships. 

Agree.....this Princess paranoia is hysterical.....we are one of the most watched and tracked societies on Earth and people are freaking out about a little old Medallion on Princess ship that does very little in reality.....probably the same crowd who freaks out if you enter the MD on Formal Nights not in a Tux!!!  🙂

On 7/9/2019 at 9:19 PM, steelers36 said:

Interesting sequence in California.  In Port Everglades (PE), once checked-in don't show passport again when ready to walk the gangplank - er, gangway - onto the ship.  Just the cruise card or Medallion.  As others have mentioned, if you have made an acceptable security photo at home, you just ping in with the Medallion and carry on.

Mr. Steelers, You have been talking to the Captain so much you’re starting to think like me. (Gangplank) 😳😁😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

64F8A1FB-99BD-4656-ACFD-FC7A2FE802F4.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Fake news.

Wow.  This?  Are you certain it is fake news?  Who to believe? 😱

On 7/10/2019 at 2:12 PM, MissP22 said:

I'm not really sure just any crew member has full access to all of your information. Your security photo pops up along with your name on their screen & they can apply a charge. This was the same as before without the photo. Beyond that I seriously doubt they've given all the crew members any more than they need. 

Princess accounting of course has access to your SS number, credit card information, address, etc but they've always had that, so what's the difference?

I can't believe they would allow any sensitive info to be shared among all the crew. 

On 7/9/2019 at 6:23 AM, Cruising TBD said:

I will not participate in the medallion for privacy reasons.

This is about a corporation wishing to increase revenue, period. Customer service benefits is bull.

A poster on these boards recently noted, they observed a staff member, with their tablet, standing beside them. On the screen was this persons information, room, home location, purchasing history and other personal information.

The poster was not pleased. Neither would I be.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

15 hours ago, drowelf said:

My concern was heighten by this post. One of the keys here is that we don't know who has or how much information is available to crew members on the ship. I for one don't really care to be tracked all over the ship. I consider this level of data collection to be a bit intrusive. Why would anyone other than the accounting/front office staff need my purchase history. I don't believe that anyone on the ship needs to know the address I gave Princess as my home. 

Whats the Data Retention policy on this information? Does all the ancillary information, except my Purchase History, get archived or deleted at the end of my cruise? 

Where did you get the idea that all of the crew had access to that information?

I do know that your security photo is reused from one cruise to the next.

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Princess had our Social Security numbers? Really?  What for?  I don't recall ever providing them with my Social Security number.

Sorry, I posted quickly about SS numbers. 

It's one less thing you have to worry about.:classic_laugh:

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Sorry, I posted quickly about SS numbers. 

It's one less thing you have to worry about.:classic_laugh:

Thanks for the correction. I refuse to give my Social Security number to just anyone, especially a business or a medical provider - both easy targets for hackers and identity thieves.  Just because it's on the form doesn't mean you have to provide it.

4 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks for the correction. I refuse to give my Social Security number to just anyone, especially a business or a medical provider - both easy targets for hackers and identity thieves.  Just because it's on the form doesn't mean you have to provide it.

Funny thing happened when I was still working.

Someone from our public relations dept sent an email to everyone in the building with an attachment of everyone's SS number - approx 800 people. 

Many people were so upset so they had that person issue an email of apology, which they did but at the same time reissued the same list a second time. 🤣

Hello,  if you guys read or have read the complete passage contract with Princess; which is very long the last paragraph shows this.  Let's end this thread,  and have a great weekend.  Yes I am a tech geek.  I love the medallion program; but because I give up my info;  I read every word of these contracts.  Cheers

Guests participating in the Ocean Medallion Program may receive a radio frequency technology-enabled device (the “Medallion”), which allows the Carrier to authenticate the Guest’s identity and benefits and services associated with the Guest’s voyage. The Medallion may be used to (i) authenticate the Guest’s identity and accounts, (ii) access the Guest’s stateroom, (iii) make purchases on board and at participating shore side properties, (iv) associate the Guest with photos taken by the Carrier during the Guest’s voyage, (v) track the Guest’s movements and on-board positioning using beacon technology, and (vi) collect and maintain personal information, activity data and other information associated with the Guest’s travel experience. The Medallion may be used alone or in combination with the Ocean Compass mobile application. Guests are not required to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program on Ocean-Enabled ships. Please contact Your ship staff to obtain a Cruise Card if you do not wish to participate in the Ocean Medallion Program. The use of the Medallion and participation in the Ocean Medallion Program are subject to the Ocean Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which are incorporated herein by reference. For more information about the Ocean Medallion Program, please visit the website at www.Ocean.com.

• Like 1