QM2 sheltered balcony question.

Summergee

31 minutes ago, Summergee said:

I enjoy sitting on my balcony in the sun. Do the sheltered balcony get any sun or are they completely shaded? Thinking of sheltered balcony for B2B TA next year. Thanks.

You can get some sun, especially in the early morning or late afternoon depending on which way the ship is heading. However, for the rest of the day, it may not be sunny, but it may be sheltered from the wind, and still lovely to sit out there.

1 hour ago, Summergee said:

I enjoy sitting on my balcony in the sun. Do the sheltered balcony get any sun or are they completely shaded? Thinking of sheltered balcony for B2B TA next year. Thanks.

Book the view you will enjoy, being BF or above.  Otherwise you may be dissapointed with the view.  Plus with a Sheltered you will be unable to see over the rail when siting on the balcony without a cushion or two from the sofa on the chair acting as a boost.

Did Sheltered once, never again.  Thought the view was like looking out through the end of a tin can. A little depressing, with a feeling like a lack of freedom, if it makes sense to you.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Book the view you will enjoy, being BF or above.  

Except that you're less likely to use a glass-front balcony on a transatlantic. If it's just for the view, book an OV. If you'd like some fresh air, you're more likely to be able to use an sheltered balcony without being subjected to strong winds. Plus you can actually see the ship cutting through the water from a sheltered balcony. On a higher balcony, Deck 7 gets in the way.

• Like 3

I have used a sheltered balcony on each trip I have been on. Just off the QM2 in New York today was in a sheltered balcony. The weather was not too warm but I could sit outside in my balcony regardless and enjoy the fresh air. Look on the bright side okay the view may not always be perfect but if it is windy, raining or snowing you can still sit on your balcony. 

Sheltered balcony mid ship for us on transatlantic! Have crossed in July and December and you cannot guarantee weather at any time of year! Worth it for the fresh air and sea views whatever the weather. You will not be guaranteed sun both ways on B2B as port out from UK and Starboard back unless you are changing cabins for your return.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Book the view you will enjoy, being BF or above.  Otherwise you may be dissapointed with the view.  Plus with a Sheltered you will be unable to see over the rail when siting on the balcony without a cushion or two from the sofa on the chair acting as a boost.

Did Sheltered once, never again.  Thought the view was like looking out through the end of a tin can. A little depressing, with a feeling like a lack of freedom, if it makes sense to you.

Until two years ago I was reluctant to book a sheltered balcony for the reasons given above and by others. But we liked it very much - again, for the same reasons that others have stated.  I am tall enough that if I sit up straight I can see a little of the ocean. Another plus is the balcony is bigger than a standard balcony.

9 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Except that you're less likely to use a glass-front balcony on a transatlantic. If it's just for the view, book an OV. If you'd like some fresh air, you're more likely to be able to use an sheltered balcony without being subjected to strong winds. Plus you can actually see the ship cutting through the water from a sheltered balcony. On a higher balcony, Deck 7 gets in the way.

I often see comments like the above, and I cannot understand them.
I mean, I see nothing wrong with enjoying an obstructed view, or a sheltered balcony, or a lower deck ocean view, or even an inside stateroom, especially if the price is advantageous ... but I don't understand the disdain for an open balcony.

I took a return trans-Atlantic voyage last year in Aug/Sept in 12-001 (first cabin on the starboard side) for about the (discounted) cost of an inside cabin and I was on the balcony constantly:

• Balcony door open at night for the ocean breeze and the sound of the sea sloshing against the ship's side.
  • Watching for passing ships and sea-life (whales, dolphins, flying fish)
  • Peeking into the starboard bridgewing.

I worry that I've now been spoiled for anything else.

Balcony moon.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

I often see comments like the above, and I cannot understand them.
I mean, I see nothing wrong with enjoying an obstructed view, or a sheltered balcony, or a lower deck ocean view, or even an inside stateroom, especially if the price is advantageous ... but I don't understand the disdain for an open balcony.

I took a return trans-Atlantic voyage last year in Aug/Sept in 12-001 (first cabin on the starboard side) for about the (discounted) cost of an inside cabin and I was on the balcony constantly:

• Balcony door open at night for the ocean breeze and the sound of the sea sloshing against the ship's side.
  • Watching for passing ships and sea-life (whales, dolphins, flying fish)
  • Peeking into the starboard bridgewing.

I worry that I've now been spoiled for anything else.

Balcony moon.jpg

Stay with what you enjoy.  

It's your cruise, your choice, and your personal opinion that counts.

Balcony door open all night? 😱

Prepare to be taken to task............. 😉

• Like 1

Perhaps the time of year matters. I've done a transatlantic in October on Deck 11 and more recently a couple in June on Deck 4. October was glorious, warm and sunny the whole way across. June was grey and cloudy and we rarely stepped outside on any deck (it's hard for us to pack for 50s when the weather at home is in the 90s. Others were better prepared).

Next time we are on QM2 in a sheltered balcony I will be bringing some chair raisers that sit under the feet and will make the chair several inches higher.  We also pack a couple of folding lightweight camping stools to use as footstools - handy for when sitting in or out.

DJ

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 6:25 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Balcony door open all night? 😱

Prepare to be taken to task............. 😉

Lol you may be right!
For the record, at night the outside air temperature was lower than room temp so the AC was not an issue.
And I made sure that there was no wind-tunnel effect at the door, nor any whistling through the door gap.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:07 PM, Summergee said:

Good morning Summergee.

Sorry for the late response, I've been otherwise engaged in this glorious weather.

My wife and I joined friends on a short Queen Mary 2 cruise some years ago and in order to be able to dine with them we booked a 'sheltered ' balcony.

I recorded the cruise in my cruise blog and there is a pretty reasonable photograph there of what a 'sheltered' balcony looks like. Here's the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/09/15/queen-mary-2s-gallic-discovery/

Just scroll down to the 7th photograph.