Cape Town

BamBamG

Forgive me if this has been asked before... I did search but nothing for a Cape Town cruise on Regent came up. We are looking at the December Cape Town to Cape Town cruise but as no excursions are yet listed, has anyone done this or a similar cruise? Is a safari do-able?  Any must sees?  Thank you in advance.

Cape Town in one of my favorite places on earth!  We did a safari as part of the Regent package about 3 years ago. (same itinerary) and loved it.  It is definitely doable!  It was an amazing experience.  

Please consider arriving is SA several days or even a week prior (or staying on post cruise.) The best camps are located closer to Johannesburg than Cape Town and I think you'd want visit at least two camps . SA is not close and one doesn't get there often (unless you make it a point to go every two years as I do) so it would be a shame to restrict yourself to a limited safari experience.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, wripro said:

Please consider arriving is SA several days or even a week prior (or staying on post cruise.) The best camps are located closer to Johannesburg than Cape Town and I think you'd want visit at least two camps . SA is not close and one doesn't get there often (unless you make it a point to go every two years as I do) so it would be a shame to restrict yourself to a limited safari experience.

Excellent advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BamBamG said:

Forgive me if this has been asked before... I did search but nothing for a Cape Town cruise on Regent came up. We are looking at the December Cape Town to Cape Town cruise but as no excursions are yet listed, has anyone done this or a similar cruise? Is a safari do-able?  Any must sees?  Thank you in advance.

Regent isn't going to Cape Town in December 2019 but has 2 such cruises in December 2020. The potential (likely) excursions are provide by port and by date. 

We did Cape Town to Rio in January 2019 and loved the cruise. (see "A Terrific but Different Cruise, posted here 1/25/19) but had a tough plane trek to get there (see "The Rest of the Story" posted here 2/12/19).

Yes, we're looking at the Dec 8, 2020 one which is why I was wondering about previous such cruises excursions as 2020 won't be listed for some time.  So glad to read you enjoyed your trip (minus the plane travel) I will definitely read that post!

Definitely do the extended safari option before or after your cruise.  Even better to do more than 3 days if you can.  Kruger Park is outstanding.   The one day safari excursions from the ship are really not the same experience at all, in my experience.  

• Like 2

If you commit to a Cape Town itinerary--and the time it takes to get there from any North American location:

Go Full Monte.  Go early, way-early.   We did this December 2015 aboard Mariner.   That was Cape Town to Rio.  As an incentive, Regent advertised a three-day "included pre-cruise add-on Safari".  What an understatement.  Lost in the mist of my memory is an extended CC Thread describing that total experience--including a 30 second video my wife took of a BIG Bull elephant walking right past our Range Rover while at Addo Elephant National Park.  See below.  

Most important:  our TA, who coordinates African safaris throughout that Continent, strongly recommended we arrive at Cape Town several days' early.  Several days before transferring to a Regent hotel prior to transportation to begin the safari segment.  Following advice, we stayed at the Victoria-Albert (VA) Hotel in the waterfront area.  This is several miles away from the business area.  Good idea.  It was a great experience, which I strongly suggest you consider.  Outstanding service; great Concierge who arranged several local excursions.  Oh, BTW:  Champagne,  no additional charge.  What a great way to start out the day while enjoying a gourmet breakfast.  Every dining experience at local restaurants was first-class.  There were so-many within easy walking distance.  

The Safari was at Camp Figtree, about a 1.5 hour ride from Port Elizabeth, SA.  Yes, there were logistical considerations, as we flew from Cape Town to/from Port Elizabeth.  Every segment was closely coordinated by Regent.  Once-there, we stayed at a "tent".  Again, if you do this at Figtree, ask for a tent.  It will be with Oriental rugs over a teak hardwood floor; in an English-style 19th Century resort; overlooking a valley above Addo Elephant National Park; with 24/7 electricity, inside bathroom facilities, really-hot running water, and so forth.  And, magical in mornings, when being awakened by bird or monkey calls not experienced at our Redmond home.  

Outstanding in every regard.  At Addo--emphasis on elephant herds.  Plus--lions, zebras, hippos, all forms of kudos, and flora and fauna beyond description.  Actually, all explained by our great Guide. 

So, no more promotion.  Just remember:  Camp Figtree.  Google it.  Victoria-Albert Hotel.  Book it.  Go early.   Then, enjoy the cruise.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

We have a reservation for the Dec 8, 2020 cruise.  The excursions for this trip are available on RSSC.com.  They may change between now and the cruise but this should give you a good taste of the types that will be offered.

• Like 1

While talking about safari camps in South Africa.....I can heartily recommend Makweti   safari lodge. It is over the top as a luxury experience and actually has an airstrip built for small private planes to land that they can arrange for you to help ease all of the arduous road travel that is often needed to get to these game preserves..

• Like 1

BamBamG, you may get several recommendations. 😉

A few years ago, we took a land vacation to South Africa and Botswana.  One of our stops was at Sabi Sand, a private game reserve which shares a common, unfenced border with Kruger National Park.  We stayed at one of the three Dulini lodges, the River Lodge.  It was an amazing and luxurious experience.

https://www.dulini.com/home

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:07 AM, BamBamG said:

We did the Cape Town to Cape Town cruise December, 2018 which was a holiday cruise that ended in January, 2019 (this year). It was on the Explorer. We LOVED the cruise. When we booked it there was an option (through Regent) to do a safari pre-cruise or post cruise. We did it pre-cruise. It was at Shamwari. We chose Bayethe which was phenomenal! It is a luxury tented lodge and was fantastic! Then on the cruise in almost every port there was an option to do day excursions that were game drives at various safari places. One was at Adda Elephant reserve. Another focused on "white lions". Each was different and was very special. We saw so many animals. The cruise was incredible and one of our favorites for sure!    

119.JPG

20.jpg

103.JPG

143.JPG

95.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Addo Elephant reserve is excellent and it is in the eastern Cape so reasonably close to Cape Town (it is near Port Elizabeth).   

Other things to do near/from Cape Town - rent a car, driver and guide and take a day tour of some of the wineries near Stellenbosch.  There are some lovely ones and Stellenbosch itself is an extremely pretty town.  You can include a stop at Bantry Bay on the way back to Cape Town to see the penguins too.

Fly up to the Victoria Falls.  Two really good hotels there - the old and classic Victoria Falls Hotel where you sit on the lawn and see the spray rising from the falls in the near distance and the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge which is a great base to see local game.   And for more game - Matetsi River Lodge.  This is an exceptional place where you can easily see the "Big Five" and where accommodations are really luxurious too.   I grew up in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and I never had an experience like Matetsi when I was a child!!   I want to go back.

• Like 1

There are areas in Cape Town where one should exercise caution, however, the V and A water front area is very touristy, lots of restaurants, shops and generally safe as this type of area usually is almost anywhere in the world. There is an excellent HOHO bus with a stop at the V and A which does several routes. December is a very busy time in s Africa as it is school holidays and summer time.Book the hotel early and any tours.We enjoyed going to Cape of Good Hope- a lovely day trip.But again, go very early as the lineups to get into the national park can be enormous.We left Cape Town at 7am and were glad that we did.The Grace Bay Hotel is also lovely on the V and A waterfront.There is a wonderful MOMA (modern art) in this area as well.Their gift shop is amassing.LOVED S Africa

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, thank you all SOOOO much for the advice, links and photos!!! Hugely helpful. We officially booked the Dec. 8, 2020 Capetown to Capetown.  We are doing the pre and post options. I already cannot wait.  I will be coming back to this post often to re-read links and daydream. Thanks again!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BamBamG said:

Oh my goodness, thank you all SOOOO much for the advice, links and photos!!! Hugely helpful. We officially booked the Dec. 8, 2020 Capetown to Capetown.  We are doing the pre and post options. I already cannot wait.  I will be coming back to this post often to re-read links and daydream. Thanks again!

Congratulations on booking. You will have a fabulous time. We have gone to Capetown twice with Regent and both post cruise safari experiences were fantastic.

• Like 1