Translantic Round trip

ann141

For anyone who has previously cruised the translantic roundtrip, how much time do you actually get in New York by the time you,ve gone through immigration and is it best to do a Cunard trip? Can anyone give me an example of the trips for those returning to the ship on the same day?

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

For anyone who has previously cruised the translantic roundtrip, how much time do you actually get in New York by the time you,ve gone through immigration and is it best to do a Cunard trip? Can anyone give me an example of the trips for those returning to the ship on the same day?

On our last roundtrip TA in Oct 2109 we got off the ship with those that were self disembarking at the end of their cruise at about 6-30am.  Because we were one of the first into the terminal we went through customs/security in no time with no great delay walked to the NYC Ferry about 10 mins maximum walk from Red Hook terminal and caught the ferry to Wall Street at cost of $2-75pp each way. The sights from the ferry were worth the money on its own as we travelled up to Brooklyn Bridge and then across to Wall Street and we were there for not long after 7-30pm. I think latest time to board is about 4pm but we didnt leave until that late just to be safe and we walked from Wall St and went to 911 Museum when it opened and then a short walk to Century 21 discount store and then back to the ferry. They do a transfer from the ship where they drop you off at Macy's and then pick you back up about 2-30pm and you get about 5hrs free time but is very expensive at about $50pp.

Edited by majortom10

We did a b2b in November last year.  As my friend had not been to NY before, we did a 7.5 hour tour including "top of the Rock" Central Park and the 911 monument.  A very good trip if you have not been before or don't want to do much walking.  Otherwise, I agree with maortom10.

Thank you.We particularly want to visit the 9/11 museum as we have been to New York (briefly) before but didn t manage to fit it in.

38 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

We did a b2b in November last year.  As my friend had not been to NY before, we did a 7.5 hour tour including "top of the Rock" Central Park and the 911 monument.  A very good trip if you have not been before or don't want to do much walking.  Otherwise, I agree with maortom10.

As it was a 7'5 hour trip did it leave really early about 7am?

I can't remember the exact time but yes it would have been about 7am.   Some people we met on board had tickets for the 911 museum at 9.30am.   They got the ferry over and then walked to the museum and  made it on time.  Sorry I don't know what time the left the ship, 

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

I can't remember the exact time but yes it would have been about 7am.   Some people we met on board had tickets for the 911 museum at 9.30am.   They got the ferry over and then walked to the museum and  made it on time.  Sorry I don't know what time the left the ship, 

Thank you.Is it advisable to book tickets to the 9/11 museum in advance?

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

When we went last year, the line for tickets was very long. I would suggest purchasing in advance. Same with the One World Trade building if you plan to go to the top. 

4 hours ago, Tonopah said:

When we went last year, the line for tickets was very long. I would suggest purchasing in advance. Same with the One World Trade building if you plan to go to the top. 

Thank you

11 hours ago, ann141 said:

When we visited 911 Museum it was a short pleasant walk from where the ferry drops you off at Wall Street only taking 15-20 minutes at a gentle pace. We were at 911 Museum before it opened and looked around the Memorial and the fountains and the ticket office opened prior to museum opening purchased our tickets and then waited for museum opening at 9am and were amongst the first in. Just one word of warning as a retired firefighter in the UK I have wanted to visit the 911 museum for a number of years and although was a memorable and fantastic experience, perhaps wrong words considering the situation, was a worthwhile but very tear jerking experience.

11 hours ago, ann141 said:

I think if you plan to get up to see QM2 arrival into New York under the Verrazzano bridge and past Statue of Liberty then go and have a good buffet breakfast in Kings Court then head down to where disembarkation takes place and sit and wait for it to open and then go and ask when you can get off. The ferrys from Red Hook to Wall St are very regular so you wont have to wait long and you will have no problem getting to 911 museum before it opens at 9am. The queue after we had purchased the tickets was only about 20 people and we went straight in and the visit lasted about 2hrs. We are going again in November on roundtrip TA and will do the same thing regarding timings just find something else to do instead of 911 Museum we are thinking of visiting Staten Island on the free ferry.

Edited by majortom10

Do not think there is any need to book tickets for 911 Museum online if you are planning on going first thing in the morning when it opens at 9am and they sell tickets onboard the ship but do not buy them they add their own amount on making them more expensive than purchasing them at the ticket office when you get there. If you have any further queries or questions please feel free to ask and will be happy to answer if I can.

34 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Do not think there is any need to book tickets for 911 Museum online if you are planning on going first thing in the morning when it opens at 9am and they sell tickets onboard the ship but do not buy them they add their own amount on making them more expensive than purchasing them at the ticket office when you get there. If you have any further queries or questions please feel free to ask and will be happy to answer if I can.

39 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I think if you plan to get up to see QM2 arrival into New York under the Verrazzano bridge and past Statue of Liberty then go and have a good buffet breakfast in Kings Court then head down to where disembarkation takes place and sit and wait for it to open and then go and ask when you can get off. The ferrys from Red Hook to Wall St are very regular so you wont have to wait long and you will have no problem getting to 911 museum before it opens at 9am. The queue after we had purchased the tickets was only about 20 people and we went straight in and the visit lasted about 2hrs. We are going again in November on roundtrip TA and will do the same thing regarding timings just find something else to do instead of 911 Museum we are thinking of visiting Staten Island on the free ferry.

Thank you- really useful to know.We are going in November this year on 19th but are staying on the ship as it goes to the Caribbean, back to New York and finally back to Southampton.It means we will see New York twice and hope to visit 9/11 museum first time and perhaps Central Park the second time.Have you any suggestions on the easiest way to visit it from Brooklyn? We visited New York briefly last year on a cruise and docked at Manhatten so saw some of the main sights then and also had the spectacular sail in! Hubby wants to go on QM2 for the iconic sail in so thats why we are going again so soon

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Thank you- really useful to know.We are going in November this year on 19th but are staying on the ship as it goes to the Caribbean, back to New York and finally back to Southampton.It means we will see New York twice and hope to visit 9/11 museum first time and perhaps Central Park the second time.Have you any suggestions on the easiest way to visit it from Brooklyn? We visited New York briefly last year on a cruise and docked at Manhatten so saw some of the main sights then and also had the spectacular sail in! Hubby wants to go on QM2 for the iconic sail in so thats why we are going again so soon

For Central Park, I would advise taking the Red Hook to Wall Street ferry - and then either taking the red line [#2 or #3] trains to Columbus Circle [south west corner of the park] or the green line [#5] to 59th st and Lexington Ave [near the south east corner of the park and 'museum row'.

Download a NYC Subway map here https://new.mta.info/sites/default/files/2019-07/subway_map_web.pdf 

Things to do in Central Park https://freetoursbyfoot.com/things-to-do-in-central-park/

4 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

For Central Park, I would advise taking the Red Hook to Wall Street ferry - and then either taking the red line [#2 or #3] trains to Columbus Circle [south west corner of the park] or the green line [#5] to 59th st and Lexington Ave [near the south east corner of the park and 'museum row'.

Download a NYC Subway map here https://new.mta.info/sites/default/files/2019-07/subway_map_web.pdf 

Things to do in Central Park https://freetoursbyfoot.com/things-to-do-in-central-park/

Thank you.Thats a great help 🙂

18 hours ago, majortom10 said:

As both a native Staten Islander and a lover of the QM2. if you are seriously interested in visiting.Staten Island please allow me to make a few suggestions. First of all the ferry ride itself would be cheap at twice the price, not surprising since it’s free I guess, but the views coming into Manhattan on the return trip are truly impressive, as is the view of the Statue of Liberty. The ferry runs twice an hour,three times an hour during the morning rush.  The ride takes approximately 25 minutes. You will be required to get off the ferry and wait in the terminal for a return boat if all you want is a ferry ride.  Now if you are interested in going shopping don’t go to the Staten Island Mall. Mind you,our mall is recently refurbished and has gotten bigger, but it’s still just a mall as malls go. I’ve visited your mall in Soton and found that to be very similar, except you take pounds and we take dollars. However right next door to the ferry terminal is the brand new Empire Outlets with a selection of outlet stores and places to eat. Look at their website under EmpireOutlets@nyc.  For a more cultural take I’d suggest grabbing an Uber (more on that in a bit) to the Snug Harbor cultural center. Once there the campus has different horticultural exhibits as well as a contemporary art museum, and my favorites are the Noble Maritime Museum and the NYC Chinese Scholars Garden. To get information on these attractions visit snug-harbor.org.  Finally, about the Uber suggestion, while there are buses on Staten Island the public transportation once you are here is not great. An Uber account is free, just download the app on your phone, the link your new account to either a credit card or a paypal account.  You get the price of the trip up front on the phone so you know exactly how much you will spend, and no cash changes hands.  All payments including optional tips are done thru the phone. I’ve used it all over this country and it’s very easy to get a ride when you need one. Sorry to be so long winded. I hope this all is helpful. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ann141 said:

It doesn't matter what time you hope to visit the 9/11 Museaum, it's definitely better to book in advance. Our first attempt to visit resulted in disappointment as the queues were too big. There was one for the tickets and then one for the entry.

When you book, you are given a 30 minute slot and you do not wait in the line. Our second attempt, a year later, was successful.

I would agree with the other posters, the new ferry is the best way to cross the East River to Wall Street, then it's a 25 minute walk to the World Trade Centre.

Stewart

32 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

It doesn't matter what time you hope to visit the 9/11 Museaum, it's definitely better to book in advance. Our first attempt to visit resulted in disappointment as the queues were too big. There was one for the tickets and then one for the entry.

When you book, you are given a 30 minute slot and you do not wait in the line. Our second attempt, a year later, was successful.

I would agree with the other posters, the new ferry is the best way to cross the East River to Wall Street, then it's a 25 minute walk to the World Trade Centre.

Stewart

Thank you

5 hours ago, bobg529 said:

As both a native Staten Islander and a lover of the QM2. if you are seriously interested in visiting.Staten Island please allow me to make a few suggestions. First of all the ferry ride itself would be cheap at twice the price, not surprising since it’s free I guess, but the views coming into Manhattan on the return trip are truly impressive, as is the view of the Statue of Liberty. The ferry runs twice an hour,three times an hour during the morning rush.  The ride takes approximately 25 minutes. You will be required to get off the ferry and wait in the terminal for a return boat if all you want is a ferry ride.  Now if you are interested in going shopping don’t go to the Staten Island Mall. Mind you,our mall is recently refurbished and has gotten bigger, but it’s still just a mall as malls go. I’ve visited your mall in Soton and found that to be very similar, except you take pounds and we take dollars. However right next door to the ferry terminal is the brand new Empire Outlets with a selection of outlet stores and places to eat. Look at their website under EmpireOutlets@nyc.  For a more cultural take I’d suggest grabbing an Uber (more on that in a bit) to the Snug Harbor cultural center. Once there the campus has different horticultural exhibits as well as a contemporary art museum, and my favorites are the Noble Maritime Museum and the NYC Chinese Scholars Garden. To get information on these attractions visit snug-harbor.org.  Finally, about the Uber suggestion, while there are buses on Staten Island the public transportation once you are here is not great. An Uber account is free, just download the app on your phone, the link your new account to either a credit card or a paypal account.  You get the price of the trip up front on the phone so you know exactly how much you will spend, and no cash changes hands.  All payments including optional tips are done thru the phone. I’ve used it all over this country and it’s very easy to get a ride when you need one. Sorry to be so long winded. I hope this all is helpful. 

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Stewart

Sorry but I beg ti differ with our experience. We arrived at 911 museum not long after 8am after walking from Wall St ferry terminal and spent time looking around the memorial and taking photographs. There was no queue for entry in to the museum or for tickets  and when they opened at apprpx 0845 a few people approached and purchased tickets and we purchased tickets to allow us entry at 9am when it opened. We then joined the queue of those that had purchased tickets before us and there was no more than 20 people and when the museum opened we went in immediately with no waiting or hold ups. I agree when we cam out at approx 11-30 the queues were massive but if you arrive before 9am and purchase tickets I dont think there will be a problem or large queues.

Edited by majortom10
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but I beg ti differ with our experience. We arrived at 911 museum not long after 8am after walking from Wall St ferry terminal and spent time looking around the memorial and taking photographs. There was no queue for entry in to the museum or for tickets  and when they opened at apprpx 0845 a few people approached and purchased tickets and we purchased tickets to allow us entry at 9am when it opened. We then joined the queue of those that had purchased tickets before us and there was no more than 20 people and when the museum opened we went in immediately with no waiting or hold ups. I agree when we cam out at approx 11-30 the queues were massive but if you arrive before 9am and purchase tickets I dont think there will be a problem or large queues.

I think it depends on the time of year too 

On 7/10/2019 at 9:09 AM, TheOldBear said:

As a New Yorker, I advise being very careful about which train to take from Wall St. to Central Park. The Red disc #1 is a Local and will take you to the SW Corner of Central Park @ 59th St. and Columbus Circle-you can catch it at South Ferry in front of the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. The Red disc #s 2 & 3 are faster Expresses which you can take from Wall St. & William St. but you will have to change trains at Times Sq. and take a #1 to 59th. The 2 & 3 do not stop at 59th St. Also in front of the Ferry Terminal is a station for the Yellow disc M,N and R trains, which stop at 59th St and Fifth Ave on the SE Corner of Central Park-that puts you in front of the Plaza Hotel-you can the walk north to some of the museums or south to the fine stores and shops. Just make sure you give yourselves time to get back down to the Ferry ignorer to make your boarding deadline. Welcome to the Apple.😊