Clarify Non-Status MedallionNet Pricing

skurvish

There have been many posts on the new MedallionNet pricing with respect to pre-cruise discounts, embarkation day discounts, Elite etc. Most of the discussions comparing the pre-cruise discount and the embarkation day discount relate to the Elite discount application.

What I would like to clarify is for the regular passenger without status. What has been the pricing offered as the 50% discount pre-cruise compared to what is offered on embarkation day. This is an important distinction because OBC can be used on embarkation day but not pre-cruise.

Is there actually an embarkation discount for non-status passengers? Does anyone have actual numbers for comparison purposes?

Thanks in advance.

I believe this is a case where the Platinum benefit (the internet minutes come with Platinum status with no bump for Elite) is actually forfeited when buying the package. If so, these prices and discussions you're seeing apply to a first-timer as well as a long-time Princess cruiser.

Hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim

11 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

I believe this is a case where the Platinum benefit (the internet minutes come with Platinum status with no bump for Elite) is actually forfeited when buying the package. If so, these prices and discussions you're seeing apply to a first-timer as well as a long-time Princess cruiser.

Hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim

I thought the discount was for Elite/Platinum forfeiture of the free minutes when you buy the unlimited package

skurvish,  I think the discount comes into play when they launch a ship with the new medallion net. Example; I sailed Caribbean Princess in Feb;  she was first ship to get the make over for medallion net and ocean medallion program. As part of the launch program, they discounted the medallion net 50%.  I have no status with Princess; I have sailed with them twice.  So let's say you want to take a cruise on island princess;  whenever she gets the medallion net program; most likely they will offer a discount for some of her sailings;  that way they get more people using the new medallion net program.  This is my opinion and what I experienced.  Hope this helps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skurvish said:

Thanks all. Still hoping to hear from some non-status people on what the cost was on embarkation day compared to pre-cruise.

Here is the scoop.  But one thing first - whether Princess is offering even deeper discount for inaugural Medallion Net trips I cannot say.

First time (or anyone below Platinum) will get a discounted price for unlimited Medallion Net package on embarkation day.  Price is higher day 2.  But be aware that the package price does then drop as the cruise goes on simply because there are less days to pay for (but the per day price is up from Day 1 of course). 

On ships that have the per-minute package offers, you again get the best rate to purchase minutes on embarkation day.

The "save 50%" is marketing hype and you may be saving more or less than 50%.  Don't take it as gospel, but you do still get the best deal then.  You can pre-purchase internet in Cruise Personalizer and that has traditionally been a good deal, but the Day 1 deals seem to be consistently better.

Whatever discounted price or offer you can get on Day 1, Platinum and above will get 25% off that package price (unlimited Medallion for the cruise).

Edited by steelers36

My earlier point about the 50% is illustrated in the card above.  Any pricing I have seen on board or posted here is much less than $10/day in a package deal (there they go with that insane ninety-cent business again).  And if they meant save 50% of "as low as" $10/day, well that would mean $5/day on a Day 1 package and I have not seen pricing quite that low, but could be on some longer voyages.  The above is a standard non-descriptive flyer as it has no pricing (which varies by ship, cruise length).  Be assured that you do get the best price on Day 1, however.

8 hours ago, skurvish said:

Thanks all. Still hoping to hear from some non-status people on what the cost was on embarkation day compared to pre-cruise.

Like I mentioned above.  I have no Status;  the pre-cruise price and onboard price on my sailing was exactly the same. $59.95 for the week

3 hours ago, skurvish said:

For completeness, have both the 1-device and 4-device plans been available on embarkation day at the discount?

I also am curious about this.  Since this our first cruise with Princess we are not familiar with their offers.  With Carnival the best price is pre-cruise which is always discounted, according to what I have read here Princess might offer their best price once onboard the first day only.  Just trying to figure out the best pricing.

We are Elite and taking our 1st Medallion cruise in April 2020 b2b including TA over to Baltic.  I am interested in purchasing the medallion for myself (DH never uses internet on the ship).  Can i (he) still use his Elite minutes in the internet cafe?  I prefer to get my email there because a lot of times I need to print something for my business.